Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

Is high school debate racist?

Yes
No

Author Topic: Poll: Is high school debate racist?  (Read 565 times)

Judgie Poo

• Sr. Citizen
  • Nulli Secundus
    • View Profile
Re: Poll: Is high school debate racist?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2007, 07:52:42 PM »
Of course.

Add it to the list.  You know, the list of such incredibly racist institutions such as standardized testing and race-blind grading.
Never gonna give you up, never gonna let you down.

n/a

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2007, 08:44:23 PM »
Of course.

Add it to the list.  You know, the list of such incredibly racist institutions such as standardized testing and race-blind grading.

It must suck to be a minority, even race-blind stuff is racist.

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2007, 02:03:41 AM »
As someone with extensive, albeit ages-old, experience on the circuit (ahem), I don't think it's racist as much as it's incredibly financially and class-biased.

I can't wait to see this movie.
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

Denny Crane

• LSD Obsessed
  • Where's my Shirley Schmidt-ho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2007, 02:09:50 AM »
Tag.

I'd like to hear more about how debate is racist.
Yale.Law.School.2010

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2007, 02:15:56 AM »
Tag.

Were you a debater, Denny?  You strike me as the type, and I mean that as a compliment.

I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

Denny Crane

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2007, 02:25:02 AM »
Tag.

Were you a debater, Denny?  You strike me as the type, and I mean that as a compliment.

Nope.  I went to the first few meetings of the debate team at my college, but due to early scheduling conflicts I wasn't able to continue going to the meetings, and I eventually lost interest after not being able to participate in the first few debate tournaments for beginners. 

I'm actually glad I didn't join, mostly because the people at my school who ran the debate club were the kinds of people who knew how to suck the fun out of everything.  I played a board game with them once, and they treated it like a science project, and not a cool Bill Nye science project -- it was more like a Josef Mengele science project.  I can't even imagine what they would have done with debate.
Yale.Law.School.2010

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2007, 02:27:59 AM »
Nope.  I went to the first few meetings of the debate team at my college, but due to early scheduling conflicts I wasn't able to continue going to the meetings, and I eventually lost interest after not being able to participate in the first few debate tournaments for beginners. 

I'm actually glad I didn't join, mostly because the people at my school who ran the debate club were the kinds of people who knew how to suck the fun out of everything.  I played a board game with them once, and they treated it like a science project, and not a cool Bill Nye science project -- it was more like a Josef Mengele science project.  I can't even imagine what they would have done with debate.

Interesting.  That's not at all my experience with high school debate (drugs, sex, and rock'n'roll), but I don't doubt that you were cooler in college than I have ever been. :D

Denny Crane

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2007, 02:30:20 AM »

Interesting.  That's not at all my experience with high school debate (drugs, sex, and rock'n'roll), but I don't doubt that you were cooler in college than I have ever been. :D

If by cool you mean I mostly stayed in my room doing pretty much nothing, then yeah, I was totally the life of the party.
Yale.Law.School.2010