Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What really is the difference between Cooley and U of Denver?  (Read 4099 times)

TraciRai

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: What really is the difference between Cooley and U of Denver?
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2007, 11:55:34 AM »
Denver isn't in the mountains, but it's only 30 minutes to an hour away from skiing depending on what part of town you live in.  And just because you're not surrounded by mountains, doesn't mean the view of them isn't gorgeous! 

Lindbergh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2007, 12:35:26 PM »
I would think Denver >>>>>> anywhere in Michigan.  Yes?

Nah.  Ann Arbor's pretty nice, and Denver isn't even in the mountains.

Huh?  It is the Mile High City.  So it's high, just not super high.  And you can go to the mountains to go skiing on the weekends 4 or 5 months out of the year. 

Denver is certainly high -- the ground slopes up towards the Mountains.  And it's not far from the mountains.  I'm just saying it's not actually in the mountains.  I don't think you can even see the mountains from the airport, can you?

Boulder is another matter.

TraciRai

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2007, 12:56:41 PM »
I would think Denver >>>>>> anywhere in Michigan.  Yes?

Nah.  Ann Arbor's pretty nice, and Denver isn't even in the mountains.

Huh?  It is the Mile High City.  So it's high, just not super high.  And you can go to the mountains to go skiing on the weekends 4 or 5 months out of the year. 

Denver is certainly high -- the ground slopes up towards the Mountains.  And it's not far from the mountains.  I'm just saying it's not actually in the mountains.  I don't think you can even see the mountains from the airport, can you?

Boulder is another matter.

Yep, you can see the airport from the mountains... I should know, it's where I work.  Yes, Boulder is right at the foot of the mountains so it's a little more hilly, a little more of the classic picture people think of when they think "At the foot of the mountains".  But it's not like Denver is in Kansas, people!  How the hell did this thread become all about mountains anyways?  When discussing Denver vs. Cooley, I think the fact that Denver is more scenic is the least debatable. :) 

wiimote

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2007, 02:35:33 PM »
It's all there in the Cooley materials, my friend. 

Oh I see.

Can I ask you a question? Why did you just make something up and post it on the internet? I notice a lot of LSDers do this. It's mildly psychopathic behavior if you think of it. People come here to learn about law schools, so why intentionally misguide them?

Dude, it's in the materials.  It's not that hard to find.  Review it or STFU.

No it's not "dude." You made it up. My question was why? Are you just daft, or do you get off on intentionally misguiding people?

Forget Money, Read a Book

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2007, 04:24:10 PM »
Don't feed the toilets.  If you're not going to t14 or a select few regional schools law school is a bad investment, whether you're planning on Cooley or Denver or anywhere in between.

care to be specific??? just curious.
Attending: The "U"

IN: UMiami($$), UofArizona($$), American, URichmond($$), UofSouth Carolina($$)
OUT:  BC, IU-B, UF,
WL:  GWU, UNC, UGA

The Poster

• LSD Obsessed
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dontreallyknowmuch
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2007, 04:30:10 PM »
Don't feed the toilets. If you're not going to t14 or a select few regional schools law school is a bad investment, whether you're planning on Cooley or Denver or anywhere in between.

care to be specific??? just curious.

I still think he should make his own rankings.
quote Stanley J. Watson III
you are doomed in the fated sense, but that's completely irrelevant because that's only from the viewpoint of someone who is not constrained by time. since you are temporal, for all intents and purposes you have the power to change your future

Cabra

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2007, 05:03:54 PM »
DU is a regional school. It's tough to get a law job in Colorado if you're not from DU or CU. Both schools have strong alumni networks in Denver and the rest of the mountain region.
If you want to work in the mountains and you can't get into HYS, go to law school in Colorado and do well.

Cooley...
it's great to say that the people get jobs out of Cooley make 77% of what a DU grad gets, but far fewer are employed and only 55% pass the bar.
CLS 2011

wiimote

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2007, 05:17:51 PM »
On second thought, I guess Denver is much better than Cooley.

Lindbergh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2007, 06:42:05 PM »
It's all there in the Cooley materials, my friend. 

Oh I see.

Can I ask you a question? Why did you just make something up and post it on the internet? I notice a lot of LSDers do this. It's mildly psychopathic behavior if you think of it. People come here to learn about law schools, so why intentionally misguide them?

Dude, it's in the materials.  It's not that hard to find.  Review it or STFU.

No it's not "dude." You made it up. My question was why? Are you just daft, or do you get off on intentionally misguiding people?

This information was posted on here last year, but here's a quick summary:

Over 1/3 (34.5%) of students are gone by the end of the 2nd year.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_M._Cooley_Law_School

Others almost certainly drop out during the 3rd year as well.  Let's say overall attrition is 40%

We also know that the bar passage rate is only about 50%.

Half of 60% = 30%.  If we assume some retakers end up passing, the number of students who end up theoretically eligible to practice is probably somewhere between 30% - 50%.

However, many of these students, of course, never end up finding legal work of any kind.

Only about 1/3 of entering Cooley students appear to end up practicing. 

"Dude". 

Lindbergh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2007, 07:17:54 PM »
Note:  According to this link, the 3rd year class is only about 1/3 the size of the first year class:  http://www.nalplawschoolsonline.org/ndlsdir_search_results.asp

Unless Cooley has ballooned in size over the last two years, attrition appears even higher than indicated by the above stats.

Of those students who actually get through (and pass the bar), less than half end up in private practice.

So at most, about 1/2 of 60% of entering students end up working in private practice.  That's about 30%.