Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: resume question  (Read 1473 times)

jarhead

• Sr. Citizen
  • "i keeps it reeaal!"
    • View Profile
resume question
« on: July 19, 2007, 02:16:42 PM »
i am trying to de-technical my resume for law school. i've only chornicled my work experience back to 2003 (i got out of the marine corps in 03 so i just put everything i did there under 98-03) problem is i've had several jobs since then. i was a government consultant so even though i technically only worked for one company, i did so at several different government agencies, so it's kind of hard to list it all as just 03-07. i've trimmed my it down quite a bit but it's still a full page. basically i have my candidate for JD at the top, my BA under that and a full page of work history. is that too much? how did you guys handle your resumes? i mean i'm 34 just my work history from '98 on fills up more than one page. any suggestions? i'm trying to find a way to put all my military/governement stuff in one section. i mean most of what i did is in government classifed speak. it's not like anybody outside of that career field will be able to decipher it. 
...man, you was who you was before you got here

fleurs

• View Profile
Re: resume question
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2007, 10:04:19 AM »
Since I don't know what you've done, I can't give specific suggestions for how to simplify your resume, but I think with the amount of experience you have you'd be entitled to let your work experience spill over to a second page.

I think a career counselor would be most useful in helping you reformulate your resume.

jarhead

• Sr. Citizen
  • "i keeps it reeaal!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2007, 11:12:50 AM »
right, i guess my main question is for the non-trads here that have significant work experience how long is your resume before you put anything that will be law school related?

Too Old For Law

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2007, 11:56:42 AM »
Mine is two pages, but I have a chunk at the beginning titled Professional Summary or some stupid thing like that.  That is obviously going to get pulled and replace with whatever I can remember from about my ECs from college.  It was 20+ years ago - I honestly can't remember the different organizations I joined, if any.  It's going to be a short section.  I am debating, however, whether to add that I was the activities coordinator for my daughter's fifth grade, end of elementary school dance.

Man, I'm beginning to think about this too much.

Jolie Was Here

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3L. Meh.
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2007, 12:05:40 PM »
I used a 2-pager when I was applying to law school - I had been out for a while, and had a lot of teaching and research experience in my field in additional to the jobs themselves.

Now that I'm applying to firms, I've cut it waaay down.  Back to 1 page, and I even managed a lot of white space.  Education is back on top, all of my jobs are still listed but in significantly less detail.  I figured that the firms don't care about all of the minutae of my past work.  It took a long time to trim it down this much, but I think it's a lot cleaner and stronger now. 

Dunno if that helps...?
I was referring to your intellectual penis. Which is quite robust.

Jolie is creeping up on me. 

jarhead

• Sr. Citizen
  • "i keeps it reeaal!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2007, 12:21:52 PM »
I used a 2-pager when I was applying to law school - I had been out for a while, and had a lot of teaching and research experience in my field in additional to the jobs themselves.

Now that I'm applying to firms, I've cut it waaay down.  Back to 1 page, and I even managed a lot of white space.  Education is back on top, all of my jobs are still listed but in significantly less detail.  I figured that the firms don't care about all of the minutae of my past work.  It took a long time to trim it down this much, but I think it's a lot cleaner and stronger now. 

Dunno if that helps...?

yeah it does thanks. i guess i was worried about having a resume full of stuff that doesn't pertain to being a lawyer but i guess it doesn't have to. that's what law school is for  :)

likewise

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2007, 12:32:15 PM »

Dunno if that helps...?

This is what I did. I have ten yrs WE, and got it, educ, and two volunteer positions on one page.  Less detail is the key, cuz no law firm cares...

BlueWhite

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2007, 12:34:59 PM »
I don't have anything that pertains to law school on my resume (I'm coming from a scientific research background), and I was told by admissions people that it doesn't matter.  Just include what you did that was impressive, no matter what it pertains to.  Also, if you're going to go over a page, use two full pages, rather than a page and a half or so.  

jarhead

• Sr. Citizen
  • "i keeps it reeaal!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2007, 12:44:49 PM »
I don't have anything that pertains to law school on my resume (I'm coming from a scientific research background), and I was told by admissions people that it doesn't matter.  Just include what you did that was impressive, no matter what it pertains to.  Also, if you're going to go over a page, use two full pages, rather than a page and a half or so.  

ok cool, i'll stick with my one pager, thanks everybody.

queencruella

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2007, 01:58:51 PM »
I don't have anything that pertains to law school on my resume (I'm coming from a scientific research background), and I was told by admissions people that it doesn't matter.  Just include what you did that was impressive, no matter what it pertains to.  Also, if you're going to go over a page, use two full pages, rather than a page and a half or so. 

ok cool, i'll stick with my one pager, thanks everybody.

You may want to stick with the two-pager and show it to career services to see what they suggest. I know my career services cut mine down for me into one page instead of me having to do it myself when I had no idea what was important.