Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Relocation  (Read 2356 times)

just dot

• Sr. Citizen
  • I just want to be wonderful.
    • View Profile
Re: Relocation
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2007, 10:53:47 AM »
I've thought about it but I haven't mentioned the option to my hubby yet.  I was thinking about (secretly) applying to some T14 schools and if I miraculously get accepted we'll cross that bridge then.  Hubby and I have two small children and I don't know exactly how we're going to manage (schedule-wise) even if we stay here in Gainesville, much less if I drag them all somewhere else.  To be honest, I have the "Mama disease"...I feel horribly guilty doing anything selfish like this and making my family pay the price for it.  Right now I'm a stay-at-home Mom and I'm weighing how much me going to law school is going to benefit my entire family in the future vs. how much time they're going to miss with me.  Why do decisions like this have to be so hard?   ???

To put it bluntly, I seem to have a whole superstructure with no foundation. But I`m working on the foundation.

saradsun

• Sr. Citizen
  • Off to Cali
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2007, 11:23:39 AM »
dotlyn that is so close to my own thought processes that its eerie! I'm also currently a sahm. I have 3 teens, 2 of which would likely not come with if we moved (probably stay with their dad with lots of support from my parents). Then of course, I struggle with moving my 2 little ones away from their grandparents, whom they adore. However, my parents and my inlaws are both talking about moving away when they retire (in around 5 years for both) and so I'd hate to make the decision to stay here, and then have them all move away!

I've also decided to apply local, but then depending on my LSAT score, apply at a couple T14 that I wouldn't mind moving my children to (probably UVA and UMich) and then, like you said, cross that bridge when we come to it with a huge family meeting with my teens, exhusband, inlaws and parents.

It's ridiculous I'm making things so hard on myself. I tell myself that people move all around the country all the time and I'm just being a weenie.

eta: thanks to all of you who have chipped in with thoughts and experiences here.

ohstacey

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2007, 11:35:30 AM »
dotlyn that is so close to my own thought processes that its eerie! I'm also currently a sahm. I have 3 teens, 2 of which would likely not come with if we moved (probably stay with their dad with lots of support from my parents). Then of course, I struggle with moving my 2 little ones away from their grandparents, whom they adore. However, my parents and my inlaws are both talking about moving away when they retire (in around 5 years for both) and so I'd hate to make the decision to stay here, and then have them all move away!

I've also decided to apply local, but then depending on my LSAT score, apply at a couple T14 that I wouldn't mind moving my children to (probably UVA and UMich) and then, like you said, cross that bridge when we come to it with a huge family meeting with my teens, exhusband, inlaws and parents.

It's ridiculous I'm making things so hard on myself. I tell myself that people move all around the country all the time and I'm just being a weenie.

eta: thanks to all of you who have chipped in with thoughts and experiences here.

I have a family and would relocate if I got into a good school in another state. I'm actually applying to local and out of state schools this coming cycle, so we'll see.

Yes, I think it would be an adjustment for everybody to move, but it takes guts to pick up and move the family to a different place.  I see it as an adventure and a great experience, even with the positive and negative aspects of moving to a new city/state.

I'm sure the separation from your teenagers will be hard. I'm not quite at that stage yet, so can't offer any advice there.

As long as there is some kind of support system in place, whether it be family or friends, it makes things that much better. It is also a big factor to consider when deciding to move away or not. I must admit though, I have family near the out of state schools I'm applying to. For me, I don't think I'd go anywhere I didn't have family or friends. Maybe I would if I had no kids, or they were at least teenagers.
Here we go again!
Yes:
No: Jones
WL: Mercer
Pending: GSU,UGA,Bama,Samford

Papa Bear

• Sr. Citizen
  • Do these shades make me look fat?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2007, 11:51:22 AM »
I'm moving from Arizona next Friday with my wife & kids - going to Minnesota. So excited!

It's too bad the brethren all consider you to be a traitor :p

???

I must be slow today...

Yes, I think it would be an adjustment for everybody to move, but it takes guts to pick up and move the family to a different place.  I see it as an adventure and a great experience, even with the positive and negative aspects of moving to a new city/state.

It's also just a touch frightening. After working full time for 14 years I'm now working on my fifth full day of unemployment. We're moving to a state where I have zero family other than my own and a completely different climate. I'm also renting instead of owning a home, which will take some adjustment. I've been working so hard and planning for so long to get to this point though, and everything has gone smoothly so far. I'll have to check back after first semester grades to let you know if I'm still on a roll. :)
"Facts have a well-known liberal bias."

saradsun

• Sr. Citizen
  • Off to Cali
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2007, 12:00:30 PM »
papabear, i noticed on your lsn that you also have 5 children. What is their age distribution, if you don't mind me asking, and how do they feel about the move?

Papa Bear

• Sr. Citizen
  • Do these shades make me look fat?
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2007, 12:44:44 AM »
papabear, i noticed on your lsn that you also have 5 children. What is their age distribution, if you don't mind me asking, and how do they feel about the move?

My oldest is 12 and my youngest is 10 months, and that'll be pretty much it for me! :)

Our oldest is pretty conflicted - I think she likes the idea of seasons and all, since we don't get that much in Arizona - just different levels of too hot - but she will also miss her friends. The younger ones are okay with it, but I can tell all the packing and the thought of 4 days of driving is stressing them out.

Well, I'm declaring us officially packed. We'll load the truck tomorrow and leave Friday morning!
"Facts have a well-known liberal bias."

Anne Shirley

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2007, 12:54:33 AM »
I just finished the relocation thing and it was a beast >:(.  We relocated from Texas to Northern California, and did a self-move, which I vow to never do again.  It was a horrible upheaval for the family and a very stressful couple of months.  Now that we're settled in and things are getting back to normal, I'm sure we've made the right decision. The area is gorgeous and activities abound for my kids (part of why I chose this school).

Luckily we were able to move to campus early (law students without families can't move to campus until the week of orientation) which has really helped us get adjusted before I dive into 1L. 
SLS 2010

ctown

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2007, 01:25:58 AM »
I'm moving from Arizona next Friday with my wife & kids - going to Minnesota. So excited!

???

I must be slow today...

It's also just a touch frightening. After working full time for 14 years I'm now working on my fifth full day of unemployment. We're moving to a state where I have zero family other than my own and a completely different climate. I'm also renting instead of owning a home, which will take some adjustment. I've been working so hard and planning for so long to get to this point though, and everything has gone smoothly so far. I'll have to check back after first semester grades to let you know if I'm still on a roll. :)

haha, sorry, was referring to that big fat 'W' next to BYU.

saradsun

• Sr. Citizen
  • Off to Cali
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2007, 10:27:02 AM »
Good luck with the move Papa Bear! (you know its cold in MN right? :))

Anne Shirley it's good to know that now that you've all had some time to settle in, you can feel the rightness of your decision.

jarhead

• Sr. Citizen
  • "i keeps it reeaal!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2007, 02:07:03 PM »

???

I must be slow today...

i was losing my mind the first couple weeks after i quit working. even as a UG i was working full-time and i really just did not know how to sit around and do nothing. i was still waking up at 5 and 6 in the morning for a month after i quit my job...i figured i'd better get myself on a full-time student schedule which i hadn't done since i was 21, so i started staying up really late, but i still couldn't sleep past 9. i'm actually very anxious to start class i need the schedule, i need the pressure, i need to work. i guess i've been institutionalized.
...man, you was who you was before you got here