Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Relocation  (Read 2397 times)

saradsun

• Sr. Citizen
  • Off to Cali
    • View Profile
    • Email
Relocation
« on: July 18, 2007, 11:50:42 PM »
Is anyone else considering uprooting their family to move to law school?

Zenith Electronics Corp.

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - BLFGmiii
    • View Profile
Re: Relocation
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2007, 12:13:44 AM »
this thread is approved.

Too Old For Law

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2007, 08:11:45 AM »
Yep - actually it will probably be necessary.  We are going to have to move some place where we can live on whatever my husband makes and there is no way he can make enough for us to continue to live in the DC area.  I'm looking forward to going somewhere where the cost of living is substantially cheaper.

My UGPA was Pi

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2007, 11:24:19 PM »
Yep - actually it will probably be necessary.  We are going to have to move some place where we can live on whatever my husband makes and there is no way he can make enough for us to continue to live in the DC area.  I'm looking forward to going somewhere where the cost of living is substantially cheaper.

Psst.  Come to Duke!

Too Old For Law

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2007, 07:38:04 AM »
Right now Duke is one of my choices, but I need to see how I do on the Sept LSAT before I can say definitely.  Can you tell me what you think is special about the area around Duke?  Just curious to get lots of different perspectives.

My UGPA was Pi

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2007, 02:52:35 PM »
Right now Duke is one of my choices, but I need to see how I do on the Sept LSAT before I can say definitely.  Can you tell me what you think is special about the area around Duke?  Just curious to get lots of different perspectives.

It seems like it's a great place for families.  My wife is a stay-at-home mom, and it is affordable, yet there are lots of things to do.  It seems like plenty of job opportunities abound in the area for spouses who are into that sort of thing.  Of course, I've spent a total of about 5 days in Durham, so what do I know?  Ask me again in a couple of months!

Too Old For Law

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2007, 03:29:26 PM »
I may very well do that!  Good Luck.

Papa Bear

• Sr. Citizen
  • Do these shades make me look fat?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2007, 01:01:48 AM »
I'm moving from Arizona next Friday with my wife & kids - going to Minnesota. So excited!
"Facts have a well-known liberal bias."

wellpreserved

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2007, 07:26:02 PM »

It seems like it's a great place for families.  My wife is a stay-at-home mom, and it is affordable, yet there are lots of things to do.  It seems like plenty of job opportunities abound in the area for spouses who are into that sort of thing.  Of course, I've spent a total of about 5 days in Durham, so what do I know?  Ask me again in a couple of months!

I went UG to a Durham school. I ditto the above. It's a great quality of living for the cost especially if you come from somewhere insane like DC or NY.

It's a tad pricier than Charlotte, the largest city in the state, but its much more, um, well, for lack of a PC way of saying it - Durham is a smarter city. *dodges Charlotte bullets*

There are many schools in a small area so lots of educated folks thus I find Chapel Hill and Raleigh a little less race and class conscience. Also, lots of quaint neighborhoods and much better shopping. A lot more money in the Research Triangle area, the public schools are rated some of the best in the nation and are lauded for tackling growth and diversity in a way that seems to be making EVERYONE happy - a feat in and of itself.

Um, the nightlife is slower than in Charlotte but it can be found. Better live music scene. And for you, you're in the state's capital. Can't beat that.
I tested between 151 and 162. I hoped for the high end and ended up in the middle. Still, not a bad plan overall, I think.

LSAT: 156 (not taking it again and you can't make me)
GPA: 3.4ish. Still a semester to go
URM, non-trad, 12 yrs work exp, published
Looking for low debt and high aid

ctown

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2007, 02:04:30 PM »
I'm moving from Arizona next Friday with my wife & kids - going to Minnesota. So excited!

It's too bad the brethren all consider you to be a traitor :p