Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 25 and starting Undergrad.  (Read 3502 times)

headkiss

• View Profile
    • Email
25 and starting Undergrad.
« on: July 18, 2007, 10:13:35 PM »
I'm 25, married with 2 kids and have a semester of college under my belt. I'm pretty smart and would like to attend LS when i'm done. However i have this nagging feeling that i will be too old by the time i graduate. Will i have enough time to work and advance in a firm? Will younger candidates be chosen over me for employment? Can a fully give LS my best with 2 kids to raise? Law is my calling and i would have been done with UG by now but due to family problems had to put it off. I estimate i will be 28 when i graduate UG and probably 31/32 when i finish LS. Will i be too old? Anyone else my age?

ncccippy

Re: 25 and starting Undergrad.
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2007, 10:28:49 PM »
I remember someone telling me that your gonna get older anyways so you might as well do what you want to do. I'm starting LS at 26 if that helps any.

TurboGirl

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - turbogirl3535
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2007, 11:11:02 PM »
Another person in his or her 30s posted the same thing a few weeks ago. Going back to school for an undergraduate degree, then for law school.

If you have kids, you may want to think about taking some online classes if possible.You can do them at your own pace and that way when you have a lot of free time you can put all your time into that. And best of all you can do them at home.

You may also want to consider clepping some classes. Basic requirements for things like literature and math can be clepped, which basically means you study the subject, take a test and get the credit for the course without having to spend a whole 4-5 months going over it.

Summer classes are condensed. I know at my school there was a 3 credit course taught everyday from 8-12 or so for only three weeks.

If you do summer classes, online courses, and/or clep a few courses then you should be able to graduate early. Especially with a semester already under your belt.

The average age for entering most law schools is somewhere around the mid twenties meaning there should be variety of people above and below that age.

If you have work experience that's great and will help you not only with admissions, but with getting a job after school. Some top schools like Northwestern have such a strong preference for people with work experience that those straight out of school are at a disadvantage. I can only speak from what I've read but many legal employers seem to prefer hiring people who aren't straight out of school because of maturity etc.

headkiss

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2007, 12:23:43 AM »
Thx for the encouragement guys. I really appreciate it.

bamf

• Sr. Citizen
  • legal eagle
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2007, 04:17:05 AM »
25 is the new 18!

but really, you should be fine, I've net a bunch of people who are in their late 20s headed into school with me.  I'm even living with a guy who will be 30 or 31 when we graduate ... its a non-issue.  there is still way too much life ahead for you to feel like you are "late" ...

so yeah, just want to say good luck!
2L, Boston College Law

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/bamf

Around from time to time.  Always willing to answer any Qs about BC, my '06/'07 cycle or law school in general ... PMs work better ...

TeresaPinfold

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2007, 04:23:16 AM »
A lot of people take off significant time between UG and Law School, so you are just taking that a little earlier.

queencruella

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2007, 06:45:05 AM »
Congrats on going back to school!  Your timing will be fine. 

I just finished my 1L year at 30.  I wasn't the oldest in my class by a long stretch.  Another of my colleagues turned 40 during the year.  One of the (recently graduated) 3Ls was nearing 50.  So far, I've had nothing but positive feedback from potential employers - there's something to be said for a resume with substantial experience on it. 

Not to discourage anyone, but I would advise the OP to do A LOT of research on schools since I have not had that experience with my classmates. So far as I know, there are only 1-2 women in my class older than me and probably no more than 5 men. I am only 30. I know a lot of the students at my school who started at an older age (say 27+) feel a bit disillusioned because there is quite a bit of ageism. 

Last King of Edinburgh

• Sr. Citizen
  • Born to rule
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2007, 07:26:07 AM »
Do what you got to do. Take care of your fam, go back to school like you want to.
Washington University School of Law 2010

Too Old For Law

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2007, 08:09:49 AM »
I estimate i will be 28 when i graduate UG and probably 31/32 when i finish LS. Will i be too old? Anyone else my age?

God, I hope not.  I'll be 43 yo when I start LS next fall.  At the DC Law School Forum I attended last weekend all the Admissions people were very encouraging.  Now I know they want the applicants and it doesn't mean they'll accept me, but both my husband and I walked out of there feeling like as long as my numbers are good, I shouldn't have any problem getting in, doing well and having a job.  I'm looking at primarily Tier 1 schools and even a couple of T14.  At the BC table was a non-trad alumni that started law school at about 35 yo would be my guess.  We talked to him a long time and he was extremely encouraging.

saradsun

• Sr. Citizen
  • Off to Cali
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2007, 10:59:57 AM »
Glad to hear that TOFL

I'll be almost 40 when I start fall 08.