Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Best top 30 transfer schools?  (Read 7015 times)

Majmun

• Sr. Citizen
  • Now Featuring Excess Whiteness
    • View Profile
Re: Best top 30 transfer schools?
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2007, 12:36:22 PM »

Berkeley =3rd best public university in the world

js.

fixt

Oxford and Cambridge are both public  ;)

Lindbergh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2007, 01:02:45 PM »
I'm going to go out on a limb and assume the top publics are going to be less numbers focused, and more willing to reward demonstrated effort.

A very interesting point...So Berklee (public) would be easier than, say, Penn (private).  However, the public schools' residency requirements might counteract that theory.

Berklee = school of music
Berkeley = best public university in the world

js.

I love when people cant spell Berkeley or dont know wtf Cal is cause I know you're gonna storm in and get your panties all twisted.

Just to note, the proper pronunciation of "Berkeley" is actually "Bark-ley". 

Uhhh, not when referring to the school or city.

He's pleased with himself for knowing like 5 words in British English.  Let him have his moment.

It's not a word, just a name.

And I certainly see no point in learning words from archaic versions of the modern, american, perfected version of english.

It's just an (arguably) interesting bit of trivia.

Glad we have a linguist in the house to explain that it's not a word, it's a name.

No problem!   :)

That distinction inspires confidence.  As does your mysterious description of American English as 'perfected.'

Thanks!   :-*

Is it really your contention that people are 'mispronouncing' the name of the city and the university?

Well, it's technically not a contention, but simply a fact. 

Pronunciations of everyday words may change over time, but proper names always have a correct pronunciation, and incorrect pronunciations.  You may not care, and frankly, I don't either.  As noted, I just consider it an interesting bit of trivia, which I thought "cal" might appreciate if he ever wants to correct people about something more esoteric regarding his school.

Just wanted to clear up the fact that everybody in our country is mispronouncing the name of its best public university. No wonder nobody likes us abroad.  Viva McDonald's!

Consider it done.

Not that it matters, of course.  The american pronunciation is ultimately the only one that counts. 

(The reason some foreigners don't like us, of course, is envy, not pronunciation.)

Dr. Miles

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2007, 01:05:38 PM »
the easiest schools to transfer into are, as a general matter, those with the largest transfer classes. so, gulc, cls, and nyu. of course, everyone wants to transfer into cls and nyu (most transfer applicants don't really have a shot at hys), so that obviously affects your chances.

edit: what i mean here is basically a lot of this is just supply and demand, same as regular admissions.

iamprov

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2007, 03:02:10 PM »
the easiest schools to transfer into are, as a general matter, those with the largest transfer classes. so, gulc, cls, and nyu. of course, everyone wants to transfer into cls and nyu (most transfer applicants don't really have a shot at hys), so that obviously affects your chances.

edit: what i mean here is basically a lot of this is just supply and demand, same as regular admissions.

Thanks...Incidentally, there's an entire Yahoo! group devoted to this.  It makes LSD look like a ghosttown.
Albany Law School Class of 2010

Dr. Miles

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2007, 04:03:01 PM »

Thanks...Incidentally, there's an entire Yahoo! group devoted to this.  It makes LSD look like a ghosttown.

yeah, that's a pretty good group. just to give a bit more info, i transferred into nyu 2 yrs ago.

Jolie Was Here

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3L. Meh.
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2007, 04:41:55 PM »
Seriously, if you can manage being top 10 people in your class at a T3, you might have better prospects just staying. Of course this depends on where the school is. Assuming the school is a decent sized legal market, top 10 people will probably get you a better job in that city, than say top 30% at a T25 that is far away. Of course if you donít want to live there, then itís not worth it.

Iím at a T2, and my study partners are 3 of the top 5 people in my class, they are not competing with anyone else for the top jobs in our city (t14 or otherwise, remember many of those schools donít rank), they are 100% for offers for everyplace they have interviewed with. Being numbers 1-5 at any school is an incredible accomplishment. If you can land on the top 5-10 people in your class at a school with a harsh curve, youíre a pretty impressive candidate to local big law or otherwise. Being the big fish in a small pond can pay well, assuming youíre willing to stay local. 

I'm not sure that this always holds, tho - at least not in Albany (which iirc is where the OP is headed?)  A good friend of mine just graduated from Albany in the top 10 (people, not %.)  On LR, good work experience, etc.  He wanted to stay in Albany, so he was only applying to regional firms.  He had a HELL of a time landing a job and it was pretty grim for a while.  If you end up with the #s to transfer into a T14 (and it makes sense for you otherwise), it's probably worth pursuing. 

Of course:
1. this is one example and purely anecdotal, so treat it as such
2. I adore him, but for all I know he's a bad interviewee or something
3. this doesn't detract from the fact that Matthies is 100% right - landing on the top of that curve is a very big deal and not to be sneered at
4. everything worked out for my friend in the end; he got his Albany job and all's well, etc.
I was referring to your intellectual penis. Which is quite robust.

Jolie is creeping up on me. 

Rule of Reason

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2007, 12:26:24 AM »
to address one part of the OP's question, someone had posted this previously. The first # is the amt of 2L transfers and the second must have been the initial class size...

TRANSFER STATS (2006?)

Increases Class Size by over 20%
Illinois (41) (184)
Washington/St. Louis (51) (241)

Increases Class Size by over 15%
Northwestern (40) (233)
Georgetown (100) (587)

Increases Class Size by over 10%

W&L (18) (125)
Boalt (37) (268)
Emory (28) (207)
Vanderbilt (24) (190)
NYU (51) (444)
UCLA (38) (336)
Columbia (41) (383)
Penn (25) (248)
Michigan (37) (370)

Increases Class Size between 8% and 10%
Cornell (18) (187)
Chicago (18) (192)
Virginia (34) (373)
Fordham (38) (470)
Notre Dame (16) (198)

Increases Class Size between 5% and just under 10%
Stanford (12) (171)
BC (17) (254)
Harvard (34) (557)
W&M (13) (215)
GW (33) (558)
Minnesota (15) (257)

Increases Class Size by under 5%
Duke (10) (205)
Yale (9) (191)
Washington ( 8 ) (179)
USC (9) (214)
Wisconsin (11) (306)
Texas (14) (440)
BU (6) (269)
Iowa (4) (210)
UNC (4) (229)

iamprov

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2007, 03:28:57 AM »
to address one part of the OP's question, someone had posted this previously. The first # is the amt of 2L transfers and the second must have been the initial class size...

TRANSFER STATS (2006?)

Increases Class Size by over 20%
Illinois (41) (184)
Washington/St. Louis (51) (241)

Increases Class Size by over 15%
Northwestern (40) (233)
Georgetown (100) (587)

Increases Class Size by over 10%

W&L (18) (125)
Boalt (37) (268)
Emory (28) (207)
Vanderbilt (24) (190)
NYU (51) (444)
UCLA (38) (336)
Columbia (41) (383)
Penn (25) (248)
Michigan (37) (370)

Increases Class Size between 8% and 10%
Cornell (18) (187)
Chicago (18) (192)
Virginia (34) (373)
Fordham (38) (470)
Notre Dame (16) (198)

Increases Class Size between 5% and just under 10%
Stanford (12) (171)
BC (17) (254)
Harvard (34) (557)
W&M (13) (215)
GW (33) (558)
Minnesota (15) (257)

Increases Class Size by under 5%
Duke (10) (205)
Yale (9) (191)
Washington ( 8 ) (179)
USC (9) (214)
Wisconsin (11) (306)
Texas (14) (440)
BU (6) (269)
Iowa (4) (210)
UNC (4) (229)

Absolutely...I was especially thinking of Wisconsin, yet found out that they only accept about 10-12 transfer students a year...Not to mention: imagine the stress of finding out in mid-august that you got in, and having to a place to live in like A WEEK or something, esp. if you're in NY and your dream school is thousands of miles away. Gives me the jitters.

Thanks for all the info..I must add: I have yet to even start my 1L...kinda seems like the cart's a bit before the horse at this point.

iamprov

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2007, 03:33:11 AM »
Seriously, if you can manage being top 10 people in your class at a T3, you might have better prospects just staying. Of course this depends on where the school is. Assuming the school is a decent sized legal market, top 10 people will probably get you a better job in that city, than say top 30% at a T25 that is far away. Of course if you donít want to live there, then itís not worth it.

Iím at a T2, and my study partners are 3 of the top 5 people in my class, they are not competing with anyone else for the top jobs in our city (t14 or otherwise, remember many of those schools donít rank), they are 100% for offers for everyplace they have interviewed with. Being numbers 1-5 at any school is an incredible accomplishment. If you can land on the top 5-10 people in your class at a school with a harsh curve, youíre a pretty impressive candidate to local big law or otherwise. Being the big fish in a small pond can pay well, assuming youíre willing to stay local. 

I'm not sure that this always holds, tho - at least not in Albany (which iirc is where the OP is headed?)  A good friend of mine just graduated from Albany in the top 10 (people, not %.)  On LR, good work experience, etc.  He wanted to stay in Albany, so he was only applying to regional firms.  He had a HELL of a time landing a job and it was pretty grim for a while.  If you end up with the #s to transfer into a T14 (and it makes sense for you otherwise), it's probably worth pursuing. 

Of course:
3. this doesn't detract from the fact that Matthies is 100% right - landing on the top of that curve is a very big deal and not to be sneered at
4. everything worked out for my friend in the end; he got his Albany job and all's well, etc.

Thanks...FYI, I am indeed going to ALS, and it seems like a fine school, especially for govt. law...  I hope that your friend had a great experience there.

I just have this feeling that CERTAIN jobs are only available to the grads of elite schools, even if they weren't high in their class.  It kills me to think that someone gets to practice civil rights law in the Justice Department, for example, just because they went to GULC or GW or Penn, while someone in the top 10% at Albany shouldn't even bother applying.

Jolie Was Here

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3L. Meh.
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2007, 06:32:35 AM »

Of course:

Thanks...FYI, I am indeed going to ALS, and it seems like a fine school, especially for govt. law...  I hope that your friend had a great experience there.

I just have this feeling that CERTAIN jobs are only available to the grads of elite schools, even if they weren't high in their class.  It kills me to think that someone gets to practice civil rights law in the Justice Department, for example, just because they went to GULC or GW or Penn, while someone in the top 10% at Albany shouldn't even bother applying.

My friend had a fabulous experience there.  And what's more, I am a big fan of Albany the city - which is not an opinion you hear much.  It's a place people love to pick on, but I lived there for 8 years (college plus 4) and now think of it as home in many ways.  Good luck!
I was referring to your intellectual penis. Which is quite robust.

Jolie is creeping up on me.