Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: child support  (Read 10648 times)

jarhead

• Sr. Citizen
  • "i keeps it reeaal!"
    • View Profile
child support
« on: July 18, 2007, 05:46:45 PM »
i know a woman who recently took the father of her child to court and sued for child support. before she took the father to court the dude was taking care of the child i.e. paying tuition, buying clothes going half on the braces etc. etc. but he was exchanging money getting the bills, etc. through the child's maternal grandmother because he didn't want contact w/ the mother because she would always cut up. now that he has court ordered support he only does what the court ordered him to do, which is less than what he was doing before. anyway my friends and i are having a debate and it's pretty much split down gender lines. our/the male point of view is what sense does it make to take the man to court for child support if he's supporting the child? the women are pretty much for it. thoughts.
...man, you was who you was before you got here

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: child support
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2007, 06:32:46 PM »
Yeah why did she take him to court?  I don't blame him. Suck for the child though.

LadyKD

• Sr. Citizen
  • And so it began..
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2007, 06:42:58 PM »
I dont think her taking him to court was a bad idea at all.

Special Agent Dana Scully

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2007, 06:55:23 PM »
i know a woman who recently took the father of her child to court and sued for child support. before she took the father to court the dude was taking care of the child i.e. paying tuition, buying clothes going half on the braces etc. etc. but he was exchanging money getting the bills, etc. through the child's maternal grandmother because he didn't want contact w/ the mother because she would always cut up. now that he has court ordered support he only does what the court ordered him to do, which is less than what he was doing before. anyway my friends and i are having a debate and it's pretty much split down gender lines. our/the male point of view is what sense does it make to take the man to court for child support if he's supporting the child? the women are pretty much for it. thoughts.

she's prolly just one of those trifilin types---now she's actually getting less than what he was giving her before, all because she wanted to be a bird.  smart

<===male

I think taking him to court makes sure that he continues to pay his fair share. If she doesn't take him to court, what does she do if he stops paying in two years?

i think that he was showing that he was responsible by giving her ample amount of money without being ordered to do so.  it would have been dif if he was slacking in his parental monetary responsibility.
Columbia 3L

LadyKD

• Sr. Citizen
  • And so it began..
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2007, 07:00:21 PM »

she's prolly just one of those trifilin types---now she's actually getting less than what he was giving her before, all because she wanted to be a bird.  smart

<===male

I think taking him to court makes sure that he continues to pay his fair share. If she doesn't take him to court, what does she do if he stops paying in two years?

i think that he was showing that he was responsible by giving her ample amount of money without being ordered to do so.  it would have been dif if he was slacking in his parental monetary responsibility.

But he wasnt giving her the money...he was giving it to her mother. An just because he wants to do the right thing now has no guarentee he will do the right thing later. There are some things that court ordered support provide that jus a handshake and a promise do not. For example, he maybe required to provide the child with healthcare coverage.

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2007, 07:03:56 PM »

<===male

But he wasnt giving her the money...he was giving it to her mother. An just because he wants to do the right thing now has no guarentee he will do the right thing later. There are some things that court ordered support provide that jus a handshake and a promise do not. For example, he maybe required to provide the child with healthcare coverage.

i know he was giving it to his grandma--so that he wouldn't have to deal with the mom who jarhead said "cuts up"...i wouldn't want to deal with her either then.

and i know that bc he's doing the right thing now theres no guarantee that he will continue to do so.  but he's been doing so now with NO stated problems--why not leave it alone, especially since dad was being really generous and taking care of his own?  i'm the type of person who wouldn't do anything unless dude started neglecting the financial responsibilites.  he's being doing well for his kids---and giving more than what she will now get.
Columbia 3L

LadyKD

• Sr. Citizen
  • And so it began..
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2007, 07:05:58 PM »

If I reading this correctly he got upset when she took him to court so he now only does what the court requires him to do monetarily. So how is that helping his child? It seems to me he is just as bad as the mom. Both are using the court as a pawn and the only one losing in all this is the kid.

Zenith Electronics Corp.

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - BLFGmiii
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2007, 07:06:37 PM »
this thread is not approved.

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2007, 07:08:22 PM »

If I reading this correctly he got upset when she took him to court so he now only does what the court requires him to do monetarily. So how is that helping his child? It seems to me he is just as bad as the mom. Both are using the court as a pawn and the only one losing in all this is the kid.

yea that's bad--obviously he's doing it to spite the mom despite the fact that he should continue anyway. but perhaps if he paid more, she may keep it for herself since it's over the agreed amount (bc she seems birdish to me) but that just further tells me that she should have just left him alone.

*and i say this as someone who wished that my mom would have taken my dad to court for child support
Columbia 3L

LadyKD

• Sr. Citizen
  • And so it began..
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2007, 07:13:24 PM »
As for the cutting up part...I swear. He had no problem with her cutting up when he was trying to get his cut. So he needs to man up because he is stuck with her cutting up for life. Not until the kid is 18 or out of college but life. So if she is showing her tail now she will be showing it down the line. Graduations, sports outings, etc. That is a excuse.