Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: ITT we talk about "The West Wing"  (Read 1665 times)

Hank Rearden

• LSD Obsessed
  • Zurich is stained
    • View Profile
ITT we talk about "The West Wing"
« on: July 18, 2007, 05:31:48 PM »
I just watched the finale of the second season where Bartlet just revealed his MS.  I think that scene is really cool when he is standing on the podium and ignores the softball question reporter that CJ had planted. 
CLS '10

The appropriateness of Perpetua would probably depend on the tone of the writing.  When I used it, I (half playfully) thought the extra space made the words sort of resonate.

GraphiteDirigible

• Sr. Citizen
  • Hey there fancypants.
    • View Profile
Re: ITT we talk about "The West Wing"
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2007, 05:38:27 PM »
A more republican thread than the Libertarian LSD.
Happy colored marbles that are rolling in my head
I put 'em back in the jacket of the one I love
Carry that velvet sack full of pretty colored marbles
And I'll ask you for 'em back, when I'm ready and done

Hank Rearden

• LSD Obsessed
  • Zurich is stained
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2007, 05:39:53 PM »
I think that's actually my favorite West Wing scene.  And Two Cathedrals is one of my favorite episodes.  And this is my favorite thread.  :D

That was an excellent episode, but it was kind of sucky for Ms. Landingham to die.  They needed it for the plot I suppose, but it felt cheap and melodramatic.  
CLS '10

The appropriateness of Perpetua would probably depend on the tone of the writing.  When I used it, I (half playfully) thought the extra space made the words sort of resonate.

annonymous

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago c/o 2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2007, 05:40:53 PM »
Am I the only one who really liked the last season? (and the last half of the 2nd to last season?)
"I'm a genius, but I'm a misunderstood genius."
"What's misunderstood about you?"
"Nobody thinks I'm a genius."

"A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day."

Hank Rearden

• LSD Obsessed
  • Zurich is stained
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2007, 05:44:24 PM »
Am I the only one who really liked the last season? (and the last half of the 2nd to last season?)

Some of those campaign trail episodes were really good.  None of the actual stuff in the West Wing itself though had the same crack as with Sorkin.  Everyone just seem depressed.  

I think that's actually my favorite West Wing scene.  And Two Cathedrals is one of my favorite episodes.  And this is my favorite thread.  :D

That was an excellent episode, but it was kind of sucky for Ms. Landingham to die.  They needed it for the plot I suppose, but it felt cheap and melodramatic. 

Yeah Mrs. Landingham was a good character.  I always liked at the beginning of that last scene when Charlie takes his coat off after Bartlet doesn't put his on.

Interesting, I never noticed that.  I just like the hands-in-his-pockets thing.  How cool is that. 
CLS '10

Hank Rearden

• LSD Obsessed
  • Zurich is stained
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2007, 05:52:22 PM »

Yeah Mrs. Landingham was a good character.  I always liked at the beginning of that last scene when Charlie takes his coat off after Bartlet doesn't put his on.

Interesting, I never noticed that.  I just like the hands-in-his-pockets thing.  How cool is that. 

Yeah, that was cool.  By the way, my friend and I always use variations of "Then god, Jed, I don't even want to know you."
[/quote]

:D :D

I will try to work this into everyday conversation.

I still think the first season is the best overall.  Starting with the second season, I think they got too bogged down in these big story arcs (the MS, the election, etc). 
CLS '10

Hank Rearden

• LSD Obsessed
  • Zurich is stained
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2007, 06:07:26 PM »
The first part of Shadow of Two Gunman I loved.  I don't remember being crazy about the very end of the second part though. 
CLS '10

Zenith Electronics Corp.

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - BLFGmiii
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2007, 09:41:06 PM »
this thread is approved.

Hank Rearden

• LSD Obsessed
  • Zurich is stained
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2007, 10:12:19 PM »
Favorite characters: Ainsley Hayes.................Sam, Josh......Donna, Leo, President, CJ.......Charlie, Toby.

I thought it was odd that Charlie was such a genius but ended up going to Georgetown for law school.  And then Sam went to Duke?  Come on guys--didn't they know about HYS?!
CLS '10

GraphiteDirigible

• Sr. Citizen
  • Hey there fancypants.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2007, 10:15:15 PM »
 :D :D :D

Zenith approved your thread! As if the subject matter didn't condemn itself enough.  ;)
Happy colored marbles that are rolling in my head
I put 'em back in the jacket of the one I love
Carry that velvet sack full of pretty colored marbles
And I'll ask you for 'em back, when I'm ready and done