Law School Discussion

Job prospects in the T14

Matthew

• Formerly known as /\_-=-M-=-_/\
    • View Profile
Job prospects in the T14
« on: July 18, 2007, 12:12:50 PM »
All of these stories about jobless lawyers are starting to get to me.  I have no ambitions of BIGLAW, I just want to be a criminal prosecutor.

With my current scores I really don't see myself getting into HYS or CCN, but I think I'm OK outside of those.  Is it really necessary for me to go to one of those schools to have decent job prospects?  Or would I be fine if I graduated in the top 1/3 of my class from a mid to lower T14?

These stories of lawyers having trouble finding jobs are bothering me, so any advice is appreciated.

Jolie Was Here

• 3L. Meh.
    • View Profile
Re: Job prospects in the T14
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2007, 12:18:26 PM »
All of these stories about jobless lawyers are starting to get to me.  I have no ambitions of BIGLAW, I just want to be a criminal prosecutor.

With my current scores I really don't see myself getting into HYS or CCN, but I think I'm OK outside of those.  Is it really necessary for me to go to one of those schools to have decent job prospects?  Or would I be fine if I graduated in the top 1/3 of my class from a mid to lower T14?

These stories of lawyers having trouble finding jobs are bothering me, so any advice is appreciated.

I think this is flame, but:

1.  You should have little problem getting into CCN.  

2.  Obviously, you'll be fine coming from the top 1/3 of a 7-14 school.  In fact, you'll be fine coming from the top 2/3 of a 7-14 school for most purposes -- especially for a prosecutor job.  The kids from the T14 who work public interest jobs like that are usually the ones at the very bottom who can't get biglaw jobs.

Eh.  Wrong.  Are you f-in kidding me?

Matthew

• Formerly known as /\_-=-M-=-_/\
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2007, 12:30:30 PM »

I think this is flame, but:

1.  You should have little problem getting into CCN.  

2.  Obviously, you'll be fine coming from the top 1/3 of a 7-14 school.  In fact, you'll be fine coming from the top 2/3 of a 7-14 school for most purposes -- especially for a prosecutor job.  The kids from the T14 who work public interest jobs like that are usually the ones at the very bottom who can't get biglaw jobs.

Eh.  Wrong.  Are you f-in kidding me?

How is he wrong?

Jolie Was Here

• 3L. Meh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2007, 12:32:08 PM »
The vast majority of people who take true public interest jobs from the top schools are people who came in intending to pursue those jobs.  Which, fyi, can be as competitive as biglaw.  I have yet to hear of anyone who went PI because he or she couldn't do better.

bamf

• legal eagle
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2007, 01:12:34 PM »
The vast majority of people who take true public interest jobs from the top schools are people who came in intending to pursue those jobs.  Which, fyi, can be as competitive as biglaw.  I have yet to hear of anyone who went PI because he or she couldn't do better.

I would adjust my post to note that there are many students who go intending to take such PI jobs from the getgo, and do so regardless of their eventual class rank.

That said, there's no question that most PI jobs are easier to get than Biglaw jobs.  This is why the prosecutors in most areas usually attended more regional programs.

There's no question?  Really?

Just sit and ponder that for a little while.

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2007, 01:17:51 PM »

I would adjust my post to note that there are many students who go intending to take such PI jobs from the getgo, and do so regardless of their eventual class rank.

That said, there's no question that most PI jobs are easier to get than Biglaw jobs.  This is why the prosecutors in most areas usually attended more regional programs.

um...many of the most prestigious PI jobs are even harder to get than biglaw jobs--especially ny biglaw.  PI is nothing to scoff at

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2007, 01:28:49 PM »
tag

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2007, 01:30:00 PM »
I work at Jones Day, Los Angeles.  Look at these two guys in our office who both came over from the US Attorneys office...  They def. don't fit your profile of bottom 1/3 slackers.  Your kinda talking out your @ss.  The partner was a clerk for Sandra Day O'Connor.  I would imagine that would lateral you in fairly high in the BigLaw ballgame, but he took that experience and went to work for the US Gov't.  Hersham was a Berkley/Yale grad who went to the US Attorneys office.

http://www.jonesday.com/bhershman/
http://www.jonesday.com/bhoffstadt/

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2007, 02:43:46 PM »
Well I see what you are saying, but they both worked in criminal prosecution, and I was providing you with an example of two people who chose that career.  They eventually came over to the Dark Side, but they paid their dues with years of public service to the US Gov't.

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2007, 03:23:24 PM »
True dat!

::runs and hides his stash::