Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Law School Numbers???  (Read 1694 times)

FutureInLaw

• View Profile
Law School Numbers???
« on: July 17, 2007, 03:14:59 PM »
Hello All!  Ive been reading the discussions for a month or so and have found them very helpful.  I just have a few questions for you guys.  I have been out of UG for 7 years now, and I am considering going back to Law school.  I graduated from a large University and graduated with a 2.7 in Business Administration. I am a real estate broker now and own my own firm. With having this 5+ years of work experience in real estate and UG in Business, will this make up for my not so high UG gpa?  I haven't taking the LSAT yet but plan to in Oct.  Will a LSAT score around 155-160 get me in?  Im looking at some local T3-T4 schools close by.  I am a minority and was a student-athlete.  Thanks for your input.   ;D

juliemccoy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Treat??
    • View Profile
Re: Law School Numbers???
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2007, 03:26:09 PM »
It depends on what kind of minority you are. If you are a URM by law school standards, it can help, but it isn't a free pass. Your work experience really doesn't mean anything if your numbers are not on par with the range of accepted students.

Set up an account at this web site  http://www.chiashu.com/law/
and plug in your stats, then add schools to your list that you would want to apply to. The stats can show you an idea of where your chances might be.
Vanderbilt 2010

ě

• Sr. Citizen
  • non sequitur
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2007, 04:30:53 PM »
Chiasu has the accuracy of Stevie Wonder on LSD. Only semi-usable source you'll find is LSN. A 160 with good background looks pretty ok at many local T3 schools.

jarhead

• Sr. Citizen
  • "i keeps it reeaal!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2007, 06:51:53 PM »
regardless of work experience, URM, non-trad etc. status you need to be competitive (lsat and gpa) with all the other applicants. do not expect that your extras will pull you even with students with higher numbers, they won't. it's only when your stats are competitive that you can you use your extras to outshine the competition. 2.7 is kinda low even 7 years removed. i would try and shoot for 160+ to maximize your chances. 
...man, you was who you was before you got here

ě

• Sr. Citizen
  • non sequitur
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2007, 06:53:30 PM »
I'd shoot for a 180, just don't be disappointed if you fall short :) URM does give a clearly defined advantage though - the other stuff does not.

FutureInLaw

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2007, 07:02:12 PM »
I am definitely shooting for a 180!  However, 155-160 is worst case scenario.  If I were to score any lower than 155 after testing twice I would think really hard about how bad i want my law degree.  I'm not looking to go the BIGlaw route.  With that said, the school I'm looking into here close by has a range of 151-157 for LSAT scores.  I will apply to a few others as well though.  I truly appreciate all the input.  BTW, I am African American is that considered URM???  Thanks again!

ě

• Sr. Citizen
  • non sequitur
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2007, 07:04:11 PM »
Only if you have a Mac10...

I mean, yes it is. Very much so.

FutureInLaw

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2007, 07:07:49 PM »
ě - No Mac10 here lol...  But thanks for the info

ě

• Sr. Citizen
  • non sequitur
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2007, 07:38:12 PM »
I have a softgun you can borrow, that'd probably do the trick.

juliemccoy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Treat??
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2007, 11:05:11 AM »
Yes African-Americans are considered URM in law school admissions. Take the LSAT and when you have some hard numbers in front of you-- LSAT and GPA, you can better see what your chances are. A score in the mid-150s, even with your GPA, may land you in a Tier 2 school toward the bottom of the list, b/c of your URM status, and certainly T3.
Vanderbilt 2010