this just terrifies me

sstar

• View Profile
Re: this just terrifies me
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2007, 10:54:06 PM »
wow!

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2007, 11:25:20 PM »
what's scary is that cardozo is  40 something in ranking. it's tier 2!

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2007, 11:49:04 PM »
If the guy killed himself over how much money he makes, he had much larger issues...

Matthew

• Formerly known as /\_-=-M-=-_/\
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2007, 11:57:18 PM »
what's scary is that cardozo is  40 something in ranking. it's tier 2!

Technically, if it's 40-something, it's tier one.

It's 52, so tier 2.  This is scary.

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2007, 12:00:51 AM »
Could this guy really not get a better job than 35,000? Even from a bottom half tier 1 like Davis or Hastings, public interest lawyers earn a minimum of 35,000 per year plus they don't have as stressful work schedules (although they still have long hours).

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2007, 12:10:43 AM »
please someone tell me this is an anomaly.

and what's with the new 100 hour work week? that's like 14 hour days if you work every day. sometimes i can't believe i'm going through all this stress to endure even more stress.

i just hope that it's at least a partial myth.

I am Penny Lane

• Manager of the "Get Dotlyn to go to FSU" Campaign!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2007, 11:05:00 AM »
Maybe somehting went wrong BEFORE he got to the 35k/year job. Maybe he was forced into the position by factors other than Cardozo and Opportunities. If he had problems for a long time then that could have lead to poor career choices as well as poor performance at his job. To say his death was due to high debt from a T2 seems to over look other more likely possibilities.

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2007, 03:15:02 PM »
I actually think this guy had more issues than just his financial debt. Killing oneself has more to do with psychological/mental imbalances resulting from genetics or past behavioral problems. Having the stress of financial debt is just a factor that can increase those imbalances to a level where one may think killing oneself will solve those problems. Suicide is a long term answer for a short term problem and apparently this guy had no idea that his problems could be solved through a long term plan. Maybe he had no money management and lost control of his debts in general.

It seems the firm he was working for has some blame because the types of stressors (Long hours, low pay, tedious work, terrible work schedule) this man had can amplify depression-like symtpoms which can lead to suicide. I know that many companies now have industrial/organizational psychologists that can help prevent this type of situation from ever occuring. They can implement standards that do not allow anyone to work 40+ hour work weeks. I know many companies and large corporations do this since it can also increase worker efficieny.

Personally, if I was working that many hours, my efficiency level would drop quite significantly if I did not have a motivational boost like extended time off or good pay.

Julie Fern

• hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2008, 04:55:45 AM »
only among committed prestige whores would it be assumed suicide connected to ranking of one's law school.