Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: I have no idea what I'm doing.  (Read 3907 times)

almostlegal

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: I have no idea what I'm doing.
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2007, 06:34:34 PM »
Graduate plus loans can only apply to tuition.

Stafford loans can be applied to cost of living.

Where did you read that about grad plus loans?  I really thought you could use grad plus for any education-related expenses (rent, textbooks, computer)....

When I applied for my Graduate plus loan, the website said that it could only be applied to tuition.  Of course, I would check with your school's financial aid office.  It could just be at my school, or something like that.

bamf

• Sr. Citizen
  • legal eagle
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2007, 06:46:58 PM »
yeah GRAD Plus covers tuition plus the school's estimated cost of living
2L, Boston College Law

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/bamf

Around from time to time.  Always willing to answer any Qs about BC, my '06/'07 cycle or law school in general ... PMs work better ...

queencruella

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2007, 07:05:10 PM »
I applied for loans through some online service a few weeks ago but I don't know whats going on there. I've asked some people at the school what to do but I am so lost. I've never had to get loans for anything before.

I just get a bill saying I have to pay a lot of money in 1 month and I have no idea what to do.

What do I do?

What happens is that you either fill out the Master Promissory Note online or they'll mail you something. My lender does everything online. I forgot to do it during the application and they sent me a little reminder note telling me to go back and e-sign it. Your school may also have some sort of pre-loan counseling form you have to fill out before they'll approve your loans initially. Again, if you forgot to do that or send in some important document, you'll usually get a letter from the school telling you they can't continue processing your loans until they get that info. I know my school is really confusing because the lender I use has two options for my school and if you pick the wrong one you cannot complete the application process. Of course they don't put that information anywhere on the site and I had to pick one for the Stafford and the other choice for my private loan.

Your loan money will be sent to the school before the school year starts and you will get back whatever isn't used for tuition in fees. I know that the grad plus loans didn't come until VERY late last year and so far as I know my school was fine delaying tuition payment for those students until the money came in.

Leo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2007, 08:29:51 PM »

Where did you read that about grad plus loans?  I really thought you could use grad plus for any education-related expenses (rent, textbooks, computer)....

When I applied for my Graduate plus loan, the website said that it could only be applied to tuition.  Of course, I would check with your school's financial aid office.  It could just be at my school, or something like that.

I still need to apply for gradplus. When I applied for Stafford I read that it could only be applied to education-related expenses, which I thought was weird since it conflicted with what I read from my school's finaid office. Maybe "education-related expenses" is a broad category

almostlegal

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2007, 08:54:26 PM »

Is your school or your school's (preferred) lender imposing this restriction?  You might want to check with the DOE's official limits on GradPLUS to make sure you're not getting shafted.

Yeah, when I saw Bamf's post I was about to be miffed about this, but I already got my cost of living loans through MEFA and I think it may have worked out better for me.

almostlegal

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2007, 08:59:32 PM »

I still need to apply for gradplus. When I applied for Stafford I read that it could only be applied to education-related expenses, which I thought was weird since it conflicted with what I read from my school's finaid office. Maybe "education-related expenses" is a broad category

I think "education-related expenses" and "cost of education" both include tuition, supplies, and cost of living.  Does that sound right?

I'm really beginning to appreciate it when they spell it out for me.