Law School Discussion

Seattle Powerscore

Seattle Powerscore
« on: July 16, 2007, 01:32:43 PM »
Is anyone taking the Seattle PowerScore course this August?

For that matter, has anyone taken the PowerScore course in Seattle and/or had good or bad experiences? 

I've read the LRB and LGB cover to cover, yet I've not taken a timed test.  Essentially, I am curious if the course provides information beyond the book.  Also, I'm taking it because of the new reading section.

-Michael

Mpmav1

• View Profile
Re: Seattle Powerscore
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2007, 01:51:11 PM »
I have never taken PowerScore.  However, I did take Steven Kline and he was incredible.  The class was very positive and definitely helped me improve.  I sound like I work for Steven but I am just a very happy customer who owes a dramatic increase in score to him and my own hard work. 

At the very least, I would go to a free class at each and see what fits your style.   

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2007, 02:24:07 PM »
Interesting, one of my cohorts from UWB took his class, and she also liked it.  However, after she showed me her methods for games, I realized these were, according to PowerScore, inferior.  Have you taken the LSAT, and if so, did you do as well as suspected? TIA

-Michael

Mpmav1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2007, 03:06:23 PM »
Obviously, for the most part, what you put into it is what you get out of it.  Of course, Powerscore says Steven's methods are inferior, and vise versa.  And of course everyone will say their competitors methods are inferior as they are trying to get more people into the chairs.  I really enjoyed Steven's approach to games as other methods I tried out there just don't work in the time crunch of the actual test. 

As you asked my numbers... I was getting 150's on my LSAT practice test and ended up with a 163 actual.

I only took Steven’s class, so I can’t really compare.  I was very happy with his methods.  It’s interesting because he used to work for Powerscore like 20 years ago (or the other company in Seattle) and has some good perspectives with why he teaches what he teaches. 

One other thing to keep in mind: Steven’s class comes with everything: private tutoring with his TA’s and/or himself (which I used on numerous occasions), extra classes if need be, materials, proctored tests every week, parking,  an “after LSAT” debrief class to discuss the LSAT, assistance in compiling your application/essay, Steven teaching EVERY class, etc.  Steven even bought Pagliachi pizza for one class… Essentially, if you have a need for law school, they will help you and not charge you.  I don’t know if Powerscore does this… but I would look into it.

But regardless, you will improve with any class if you work your @#$ off, and will fail to improve if you do not.

Good luck!  And please feel free to ask me any questions. 

Mpmav1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2007, 03:15:08 PM »
I've read the LRB and LGB cover to cover,

One other thought… I also read LRB and LGB... and for the most part you will have to use Steven's methods and the bibles methods to create a hybrid between the two.  His approach is very different from the bibles... but having read the material before the class will definitely help you apply the bibles methods to the real world of the test.

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2007, 07:17:44 PM »

Thanks, are you going to UW, SU, or leaving the area?

Mpmav1

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2007, 08:36:55 AM »
Are Powerscore's instructors listed somewhere on their website? I dont see them, and, who is Steve Kline? Also, for different company, has anyone heard any reviews on Testmasters Seattle instructors Nicholas Hudson or Elizabeth Holman?

Steven Kline- http://www.stevenklein.com/

Mpmav1

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2007, 08:37:23 AM »

Thanks, are you going to UW, SU, or leaving the area?

I will be leaving the area... I'm going to Brooklyn Law School.

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2007, 09:28:04 AM »
I'm currently taking a PS class in Seattle.  I was only half-way through both bibles when the class started a few weeks ago.  Obviously the methods taught are the same as the bibles, but our instructor seems to use the PS methods to supplement her own methods.  The foundation is definitely PS, she uses all of the examples in the books, but she doesn't just read from the books/bibles.  Also, the class does not follow the same order as the bibles, which I thought they would.

The class time moves along a little slow for my liking, but I decided to take it for the structure and the homework.  The homework (so far) is substantial, with a lot of practice questions.  I also like the fact that they always add practice problems from previous lessons/problem types into the homework, in order to keep you sharp. 

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2007, 02:15:34 PM »
I'm currently taking a PS class in Seattle... 

Thanks for your reply!  Does the instructor/class focus much on the "new" reading comprehension section?