Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Temple University Class of 2010  (Read 894 times)

Booyakasha2

• Sr. Citizen
  • Dig to get jiggy wiv mr. biggy
    • View Profile
Temple University Class of 2010
« on: July 15, 2007, 07:13:46 PM »
Well, everyone is doing it.  I know theres a dedicated board over on the students & graduates section, but thought this section would get more traffic.

I'll be moving into Philly in early August.  I'll prob set up, get settled in, and relax a little before classes start.  Looking forward to meeting some new people.
Princeton Law 2010

likewise

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Temple University Class of 2010
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2007, 11:15:26 AM »
Rising 2L here. Pls ask what you'd like, folks.  Hopefully, more than just the fella that started this thread will be joining us in the fall. ;D

Booyakasha2

• Sr. Citizen
  • Dig to get jiggy wiv mr. biggy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2007, 08:46:02 AM »
Friday is my last day too.  This week is sooo long already....my other coworkers are jealous.   :P
Princeton Law 2010

Zenith Electronics Corp.

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - BLFGmiii
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2007, 03:33:24 AM »
this thread is not appproved

GraphiteDirigible

• Sr. Citizen
  • Hey there fancypants.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2007, 01:29:34 PM »
I'm going as well. Moving in to the Art Museum area Aug. 1st. I'm pretty stoked. Where are ya'll living?

Mr. ______ do you have any tips about networking during the first year? Who to meet and good ways to meet them? What you can do through the career placement offices?
Happy colored marbles that are rolling in my head
I put 'em back in the jacket of the one I love
Carry that velvet sack full of pretty colored marbles
And I'll ask you for 'em back, when I'm ready and done

likewise

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2007, 02:04:13 PM »
I'm going as well. Moving in to the Art Museum area Aug. 1st. I'm pretty stoked. Where are ya'll living?

Mr. ______ do you have any tips about networking during the first year? Who to meet and good ways to meet them? What you can do through the career placement offices?

Well, I'm no longer nameless, at least.

Networking, networking. 

It's important, and it's how I got my summer gig (which has now been extended PT through this coming year). I think the best way to begin networking is to be affable with your fellow students and your professors. A fellow student got me in touch with the chief of a unit at the Philly Defender, which is where I'm at for the summer, for example.

More importnta than anything else is realizing that you NEVER no where the opportnity will arise and through whom. Introducing yourself to to profs and students is a good way to start. If your looking for a summer associate gig at a big firm, Temple has some wine and cheese opportunities throughout the year, which are cool--if that's your bag.

Also, Louis Thompson (Dean, Career Planning) and Maureen Olives (Director of Pub Interest?) are EXCELLENT resources. Plan to meet with Louis in December or Jan re: your summer job search for resume, cover letter, and networking advice.  Stay in touch with Maureen throughout the year by attending the MANY events she holds and introducing yourself.  If you want a summer PI gig (which is the best most 1Ls will do), Maureen's your girl.

Temple also has a snazzy automated system for interview bidding for fall OCI and 1L summer opportunities, but the vast majority of students get their gigs from networking and targeted mail. The strength of Temple's career planning services is its staff.

GraphiteDirigible

• Sr. Citizen
  • Hey there fancypants.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2007, 02:39:51 PM »
Thanks likewise. That's helpful info. How do you like working for the public defender?

So, public interest is the best most 1Ls will do. What kind of PI is available? I've heard of, but not looked into, loan reduction programs for doing public interest work. Do you know anything about this?
Happy colored marbles that are rolling in my head
I put 'em back in the jacket of the one I love
Carry that velvet sack full of pretty colored marbles
And I'll ask you for 'em back, when I'm ready and done

likewise

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2007, 03:22:48 PM »
Thanks likewise. That's helpful info. How do you like working for the public defender?

So, public interest is the best most 1Ls will do. What kind of PI is available? I've heard of, but not looked into, loan reduction programs for doing public interest work. Do you know anything about this?

Philly is a PI town. Tons of opportunity.  And, Temple has an LRAP.

nar8402

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2007, 11:27:39 AM »
Question:   So I still have not found a place to live!  I want to know where is the safest and/or best place to live?

likewise

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2007, 11:56:28 AM »
Question:   So I still have not found a place to live!  I want to know where is the safest and/or best place to live?

In Philly, the right answer to your question depends on your personality and your expected standard of living.

If you're under 25 and it's important that you're near the "it" spots on the weekend, then look to Center City / Rittenhouse Square. You may end up paying through the nose--minimum $650 for a studio.

If you want a neighborhoodly feel but some distance from the "city" city, then consider portions of East Falls, Manayunk, Mt. Airy, maybe even Roxborough.

If you're a soldier, you can live near campus very cheap.

I though, would recommend South Philly east of Broad St but within walking distance of Broad. South of Washington, you can find 1 beds for $500/month and 2 beds for $750/800. These neighborhoods are mixed -- lots of diff folks, many Vietnamese and Mexican immigrants. Most blocks are very safe, if a little grungy.  But, you're right next to the Subway, which'll get you to Temple in 15 mins and Center City in 5 mins.

I'm moving to South Philly shortly, before start of 2L. My future roomate and I are looking in this area and have been happy with our search so fare.  In fact, there's a great 4 bed--newly redone w/ hardwood floors, new baths, and new kitchen for $1200 that we really like.  Any interest in being the thris for $400/mth out there?  IM if so.