Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: LOR strategy  (Read 738 times)

vsting

• View Profile
LOR strategy
« on: July 15, 2007, 02:11:41 PM »
Hi Everyone,

I'm just starting this whole applications process and have a few questions about rec letters.

I already have 2 professors who have agreed to write me letters. Although these 2 will be my primary letters, I also have an employer at a law firm who has agreed to write me a letter. I don't expect this letter to be as strong as the others, as I have only worked for this firm for about 6 months so far and I know the employer uses a template letter.

1. I plan to use this employer's letter as a supplemental letter in case I am waitlisted. Is this a good idea, or should I just submit all 3 letters at once?

2. If I do wait until I get waitlisted to submit a third letter, should the letter from my employer be revised? By the time the cycle is in full swing, I will have worked for the firm for a longer period of time, taken on more responsibilities, and maybe the fact that I'm waitlisted will encourage my employer to write a stronger, more persuasive letter?

3. If I do wait until I get waitlisted to submit a third letter, am I telling the writer to send it directly to the law school or do I have to go through LSDAS?

TurboGirl

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - turbogirl3535
    • View Profile
Re: LOR strategy
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2007, 07:17:02 PM »
It seems to me that if you were to get waitlisted, you would want to send a knockout letter and not the least strong one to the school you are trying to get to take another look at you. I would probably just send them all at the same time and hope that the three taken together as a whole would enhance the application package and increase chances of acceptance in the first round.

Special Agent Dana Scully

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2007, 07:31:43 PM »
i only used 3 recommendations, 2 from profs and 1 from my employer.  i sent all of them in at the same time.

when i was waitlisted @ Penn, i was going to get the chairman of my dept to write me a letter...if you are waitlisted, just get a totally new letter saying why you would be great for the school and why you should be taken off of the waitlist (and it would help if you could score a directed letter specifically for the school)
Columbia 3L

ě

• Sr. Citizen
  • non sequitur
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2007, 07:48:06 PM »
Send all three right away. If waitlisted, dig up another professor who can write something awesomelike.

Fallon

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2007, 02:36:04 PM »
Agreed. Send all three.
www.personalstatementexchange .com
The Personal Statement Exchange is a new peer editing forum. Join! Post! Edit! Monthly prizes for top users!