Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Specific Areas of Study  (Read 4640 times)

justGem

• Sr. Citizen
  • Let them eat cake!
    • View Profile
    • when i need a laugh
Re: Specific Areas of Study
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2007, 09:52:41 AM »
Forgive me if a similar thread has already been created in the past...

When lawyers that I know find out that I will be attending law school this fall I'm immediately asked what specific area of law I want to study (Answer: Intellectual Property, Media and Information Law). Yet, my answer is usually met with a dismissive "You'll probably change your mind when you get there," etc.

OLs: What area of law do you want to concentrate on? Are you also told that you'll change your mind?
1Ls-3Ls: Just how true have you found the aforementioned statement? Did you start law school with one specialty in mind and completely changed course?

<---0L.
The short term goal is to work in biotech/biologics development, either patent filings (USPTO) or BLA filings (CBER/FDA)...not sure yet. In either case I want to start off working for bigPharma but eventually switch sides and either have some involvement with policy change regarding biogenerics or human subjects protection.

I've never encountered the "you'll change your mind" response. But perhaps it's because my goals are not too specific at this point.

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2007, 09:54:08 AM »
No, it's b/c yours don't sound as naive.

Lol I thought you were a rising 2L!

justGem

• Sr. Citizen
  • Let them eat cake!
    • View Profile
    • when i need a laugh
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2007, 09:56:40 AM »
No, it's b/c yours don't sound as naive.

Lol I thought you were a rising 2L!

Would be but I deferred last year  :-\ But it was well worth it ;)

cui bono?

• Sr. Citizen
  • blah bliggetty blah
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2007, 10:00:33 AM »
I changed my mind.  I thought I'd like anything to do with contracts. I thought surely that's easy stuff-  either it's a K or it isn't. But I'm really very rule oriented so I did well in courses like civ pro, crim pro, and evidence.  I hated contracts class.  I really want to be in a courtroom.      But I still don't know enough yet to truly know what it is that I want to do.  
I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality...  I believe that unarmed truth and unconditional love will have the final word - -Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King

Young Esq.

• Sr. Citizen
  • B-More Careful
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2007, 12:44:41 PM »
Mine changed.  I was a business and tech major but I really fell in love with the process and rules of litigation, so I'm focused on trial practice.

OES_Tiff

• Sr. Citizen
  • The "sole" reason I got myself into this crap!!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2007, 01:52:09 PM »
I went into law school wanting to go into IP and Entertainment.  Now I want to practice IP, Entertainment, and Civil Rights...oh and I'm considering Employment/Labor.  Now I'm interning in Personal Injury/Insurance and also at an Entertainment Law Firm.  I'm definitely going to pursue Entertainment.  I still don't like anything related to torts, lol.

Statistic

• LSD Obsessed
  • I never had a chance
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2007, 02:03:42 PM »
I thought I wanted to be an appellate litigator, or a trial litigator. Now I don't even wanna' take the bar let alone practice.
Look to the left -- Look to the right

SKW

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2007, 02:11:19 PM »
I thought I wanted to be an appellate litigator, or a trial litigator. Now I don't even wanna' take the bar let alone practice.

LMAO! That was so raw! I love it.
How they caught Statistic:

Chicken Bones Lead to Burglary Suspect

Statistic

• LSD Obsessed
  • I never had a chance
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2007, 02:13:13 PM »
what can I say. I keeps it hood.  ;)
Look to the left -- Look to the right

jd06

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2007, 02:26:30 PM »
I'd reiterate what others have said - that law school will open up your eyes to areas of the law you might not even have thought about to this point.  I enjoyed law school - learning the law and studying the law - but really had no clue where I wanted to apply the knowledge until the very end.  I decided I didn't want to push paper at a desk, that I wanted to be in court, and that I wanted to work on compelling cases - the nitty gritty, real life stuff.  So I gravitated toward criminal and family law and now work exclusively in family law. So when people ask you, it's perfectly ok to say, "We'll see..."

And btw, every lawyer works in "constitutional law."  It permeates every area of practice.  For example, in my practice I'm concerned with the fundamental right to parent.  Bear in mind, however, that most of the constitutional issues you'll encounter have already been addressed and codified under the law, e.g. procedural due process is taken care of in the Code of Civil Procedure which provides for certain steps to ensure that opposing party is noticed and has the opportunity to be heard.  Of course, when you say "constitutional law" you probably mean "civil rights," which is simply enforcing personal rights as set forth in the Bill of Rights.  :)