Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Get a mac now or wait?  (Read 1494 times)

UcsbEng

• View Profile
Re: Get a mac now or wait?
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2007, 02:32:59 PM »
hmmm nice.  thanks!

Nobody thinks that they're going to come out with some super new computer that's gonna make me all pissed off that I didn't wait?  Debating about using my PC first semester then upgrading in December before 2nd...

badgerlaw

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2007, 01:40:34 AM »
I just bought a new macbook this week and not only did I get a free iPod nano (after the $199 rebate), but they also have a $100 printer rebate through July 23rd AND $100 off the macbook with proof that you're a student.  Ok, so that's a free printer, $100 off the macbook, and I sold the free iPod on ebay to defray the cost.  I asked the guy at the Apple store about rumors of an update and if it would be best to wait and he affirmed that there will probably be an update this fall.  Granted he's a salesman, he said it wouldn't be a big deal to upgrade the software. 

I've been keeping track of Apple's rebates/sales for awhile and this was definitely the best one I've seen...I say go for it!

skeeball

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2007, 09:13:27 AM »
I got my MBP this week. $200 off, free Ipod, AND a free printer. Jeeze.

CCH

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2007, 10:25:26 AM »
Hey,

So, right now I'm working on a little sony s360 which still works but is a couple years old and kinda slow.  P-M 1.7, 1gig ram, 13.3" screen.  I know this isn't going to last me through law school and kinda want to get a mac, although I haven't decided between a macbook or a macbook pro.  I have a 22" LCD to use at home so the screen size isn't that big of a deal. 

The main question though, do you guys think it is smart to get a mac now?  The new OS is coming out soon (October?) and rumor has it a new macbook may be coming out around the same time as well.  So I kind of want to wait, but then I'll be switching probably at the end of the first semester and probably using a different note program on mac so if I need my notes from first semester I might be SOL.

Any opinions from mac people whether the new OS is really going to be that good and whether there will be an upgrade to macbooks or macbook pros soon, and whether it's worth waiting...

This past weekend I went to the Mac store that I have purchased all my Macs from and spoke to the owner and he gave me an addition reason not to wait for the Leopard- He said that the Leopard you buy in October with be different from one you get 2 months later because they are going to be changing and tweeking things once they see how it works for everyone. He said he is going to wait until they work out the initial kinks with it. You might as well get your computer now and become familiar with it before school and then upgrade next summer or spring after they fix the problems they will inevitably run into with the new Leopard. That's my plan anyway.

h2xblive

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2007, 10:40:24 AM »
Hey,

So, right now I'm working on a little sony s360 which still works but is a couple years old and kinda slow.  P-M 1.7, 1gig ram, 13.3" screen.  I know this isn't going to last me through law school and kinda want to get a mac, although I haven't decided between a macbook or a macbook pro.  I have a 22" LCD to use at home so the screen size isn't that big of a deal. 

The main question though, do you guys think it is smart to get a mac now?  The new OS is coming out soon (October?) and rumor has it a new macbook may be coming out around the same time as well.  So I kind of want to wait, but then I'll be switching probably at the end of the first semester and probably using a different note program on mac so if I need my notes from first semester I might be SOL.

Any opinions from mac people whether the new OS is really going to be that good and whether there will be an upgrade to macbooks or macbook pros soon, and whether it's worth waiting...

This past weekend I went to the Mac store that I have purchased all my Macs from and spoke to the owner and he gave me an addition reason not to wait for the Leopard- He said that the Leopard you buy in October with be different from one you get 2 months later because they are going to be changing and tweeking things once they see how it works for everyone. He said he is going to wait until they work out the initial kinks with it. You might as well get your computer now and become familiar with it before school and then upgrade next summer or spring after they fix the problems they will inevitably run into with the new Leopard. That's my plan anyway.

Leopard is software, not hardware.

Apple does have periodic software updates for its operating systems.

CCH

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2007, 11:05:06 AM »
Hey,

I don't think he meant you can upgrade your Leopard once you already have it, but the Leopard they will sell in say January will be different/tweeked from the Leopard they sold in October when it was first released.

h2xblive

« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2007, 11:55:10 AM »
Hey,

I don't think he meant you can upgrade your Leopard once you already have it, but the Leopard they will sell in say January will be different/tweeked from the Leopard they sold in October when it was first released.

But after the free updates, the Leopard on your computer in January should be as new, if not newer than the Leopard media you can buy in an Apple Store.

CCH

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2007, 12:20:03 PM »
Hey,

But after the free updates, the Leopard on your computer in January should be as new, if not newer than the Leopard media you can buy in an Apple Store.

Mmmmmm... That doesn't make any sense to me... but that's probably because I don't know enough about computers to defend what he said to me. All I know is that I have purchased 3 Macs from him since I was 16 and have gone to him for any issue I have had with them. I think he is pretty credible in my experience. So, whatever it was he was trying to say to me that I can't explain to you, probably does actually make some sense. haha. :)

h2xblive

« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2007, 12:26:11 PM »
I'm upgrading to 10.4.10 right now...

queencruella

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2007, 02:02:40 PM »
Keep in mind that if your school supports Macs, it may not support Leopard for several months after it's released. I know that currently, many (most?) schools still don't support Vista yet, so why rush on the bandwagon if you're going to have trouble using it when needed?