Law School Discussion

Should I inform my first choice that I have accepted elsewhere?

I was wondering if I should tell my number one choice that I will be attending a higher ranked school but if given the opportunity, even up to the first day of classes, I would happily move back and attend?

Would this benifit me or hurt my chances?

Denny Crane

• Where's my Shirley Schmidt-ho?
    • View Profile
Re: Should I inform my first choice that I have accepted elsewhere?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2007, 07:54:43 PM »
Stop posting the same message in different threads.

n/a

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2007, 09:18:04 PM »
This will hurt you, btw... they realize you will come to your senses and have a good chance to go to the higher ranked school even if they offer you a spot off their WL.

Send an LOCI minus this information and hope for the best.

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2007, 09:01:31 PM »
TTT Rocket---

Actually, the school I got into is a T3.  I want to be pulled from a T4 waitlist?????  Should I mention to the T4 that I was accepted at a Teir 3 but would still go to the T4 if given the opportunity???

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2007, 10:03:07 AM »
True, I think I will but I am not sure how to go about this...

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2007, 12:19:15 PM »
looks good, gracias.

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2007, 12:52:23 PM »
Ya, tell them that you would love to attend their school, but for financial reasons, you are leaning towards the alternate.  I did this with South Texas vs Houston.  I told them that I was leaning towards U of H, but that I had not made any commitment, and that I was not averse to attending South Texas.  I was quite blunt with the lady, and told her that all things being equal, U of H was a cheaper option for me.  She then told me that I had not received word of it yet, but that I was going to receive a scholarship for 8000 per year. 

I am not sure if I was actually going to receive the scholarship before our conversation, perhaps she was being honest.  But they damn sure didn't mention anything to me before that point.  Furthermore, I didn't even call the lady until about a month after I missed the seat-deposit deadline.  She was willing to rescind the action to have me removed from the acceptance list.  Once again, I don't know if this is common practice, or if I was being given preferential treatment for being high on their applicant list.  I exceeded their LSAT and GPA averages by quite a substantial amount.

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2007, 01:00:00 PM »
SC3-

I am afraid to give  the school I want to attend (T4) an ultimatum...  I wish there was some way to tell the T4 that I would attend no matter what if given the opportunity and will hold off my T3 until as long as possible???
any suggestions.

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2007, 02:42:51 PM »
Don't be afraid to give them an ultimatum...it is a business, and they are trying to RECRUIT you.  You didn't apply early acceptance, or have a bind acceptance.  They accepted you, so it is obvious that you have something they WANT.  Now it is time to see how much they will pay for that.  You have nothing to lose.  They aren't going to revoke your admission for you asking for some money.  You are just a poor college student trying to go to law school.  ;D

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2007, 06:21:16 PM »
I totally agree.

My question is-----------should I notify the school I want to go to (which I am waitlisted at and its a Tier 4) THAT, I have been accepted to a better ranked T3 school?

My question doesn't have anything to do with financial aid.