Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: For People of Color  (Read 2628 times)

pikey

• LSD Obsessed
  • Did ya do it? Then why are ya sorry?
    • View Profile
Re: For People of Color
« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2007, 05:01:58 PM »
Fair enough, I agree.

I'm just saying that applicants of color should not just default to diversity PS's or SES statements just because they think that's what acdoms want to hear from students of color. 

I'm with Denny on this one...people write about race and being poor too much.  Think of something unique about you to write about.

A diversity statement doesn't have to be about race, as I have already stated.  Hth.  :P
The noobs are so into themsleves you'd think they allready have offers at Tool, Tool, feminine hygiene product & Dumbass LLC

lsn

Denny Crane

• LSD Obsessed
  • Where's my Shirley Schmidt-ho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 15, 2007, 05:07:41 PM »
I never denied that diversity statements could be about other things besides race (and I, in fact, mentioned this myself before), but it seems like students of color hear "diversity statement" and presume they should write about their race, while many white students hear "diversity statement" and are discouraged from writing it since they aren't "diverse" racially.

I think people think about race when they think about diversity statements because if you're just going to highlight a non-racial characteristic about yourself, why not just make it the subject of your PS? 

The diversity statement could just be called "Personal Statement #2". 
Yale.Law.School.2010

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 15, 2007, 05:09:40 PM »
Agreed.  A DS doesn't have to be about race or SES, but that seems to be what pops into the heads of 99% of applicants, and those subjects are played, as I have already stated.  HTH :P

pikey

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 15, 2007, 05:15:56 PM »
I never denied that diversity statements could be about other things besides race (and I, in fact, mentioned this myself before), but it seems like students of color hear "diversity statement" and presume they should write about their race, while many white students hear "diversity statement" and are discouraged from writing it since they aren't "diverse" racially.

I think people think about race when they think about diversity statements because if you're just going to highlight a non-racial characteristic about yourself, why not just make it the subject of your PS? 

Exactly!  That's the whole point of the ds (imo).  It's another chance to highlight something about you.  I'm all for telling people to write about anything (within reason) in their ds,  instead of telling them not to write one at all.
The noobs are so into themsleves you'd think they allready have offers at Tool, Tool, feminine hygiene product & Dumbass LLC

lsn

Special Agent Dana Scully

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 15, 2007, 05:21:00 PM »

Exactly!  That's the whole point of the ds (imo).  It's another chance to highlight something about you.  I'm all for telling people to write about anything (within reason) in their ds,  instead of telling them not to write one at all.

titcr
Columbia 3L

ě

• Sr. Citizen
  • non sequitur
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 15, 2007, 07:18:16 PM »
So, what else could you write a DS about? Am I diverse for being European? Wouldn't that be looked at like somewhat silly?

Denny Crane

• LSD Obsessed
  • Where's my Shirley Schmidt-ho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 15, 2007, 07:25:04 PM »
So, what else could you write a DS about? Am I diverse for being European? Wouldn't that be looked at like somewhat silly?

Not while attending a predominantly Amnerican school. 
Yale.Law.School.2010

Special Agent Dana Scully

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 15, 2007, 07:29:27 PM »

well, initially, i was going to write about being a non catholic having gone to catholic school for 13 yrs.  however, Massa' vetoed that bc he liked the topic i eventually used more
Columbia 3L

ě

• Sr. Citizen
  • non sequitur
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 15, 2007, 07:34:50 PM »
Hmm, alright I see your point (both of you). I could probably have written a DS about being dragged around from country to country, never settling down etc then. A bit too late now I suppose, but good to know still :)

pikey

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 15, 2007, 08:51:11 PM »

My DS was about my nationality and personal background.

lsn