Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: For People of Color  (Read 2670 times)

! B L U E WAR R I O R..!

• LSD Obsessed
  • "make a friend who was once a stranger" br.war.
    • View Profile
Re: For People of Color
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2007, 06:22:05 AM »
Didn't write any socio-economically focused statements and no diversity statements.

I think you should write on whatever topic you think will best represent you and make the strongest impression on the adcom.  If that has to do w/ your socioeconomic experience or race, do it.  If not, don't, because it may result in a weaker essay than you might have otherwise written, and that's just not good strategy.

Not to be blunt, but adcoms will take note of your race simply by seeing which (if any) box you check on the application.  It's not necessary for you to write a diversity statement in order for them to recognize your racial background.  Also, be sure to acknowledge in yourself that there are many other personal characteristics you have that make you diverse.  Race is an important factor, but not the only one.

it is a made up factor for one...important? depends on to whom you speak...

aye highlighted this because you also wrote: but not the only one....good words.  And much more powerful than the first few vowels and consonants in that sentence.
If you prick us, do we not bleed?  
  if you tickle us, do we not laugh? if you poison  
  us, do we not die? and if you wrong us, shall we not  
  revenge? m.of v. w.shaka                                             speare

pikey

• LSD Obsessed
  • Did ya do it? Then why are ya sorry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2007, 04:02:55 PM »
Your patronizing aside, I never said that the SE statement was not meaningful, I just said that it wasn't unique in its impact on adcoms.  Adcoms, more than anything, are going to be swayed by well-written, well-thought out statements regardless of the subject.

Maybe at some schools financial aid decisions are made by the adcoms (and thus writing an SE statement might influence your aid decision), but I'm unaware of any schools that do it this way.   If you know of any, let me know, I'm curious.

Pretty much every school I applied to.  If the admissions people like you, they'll definitely influence the financial aid in your favour. For example, I spoke to the admissions people at Columbia when I needed more $, not the financial aid office. I think most of us will agree that "need" is a bit of a myth for law school admissions purposes.  Everyone is needy, but magically the students they like most are the most needy.   :P 
The noobs are so into themsleves you'd think they allready have offers at Tool, Tool, feminine hygiene product & Dumbass LLC

lsn

Denny Crane

• LSD Obsessed
  • Where's my Shirley Schmidt-ho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2007, 04:08:13 PM »
Your patronizing aside, I never said that the SE statement was not meaningful, I just said that it wasn't unique in its impact on adcoms.  Adcoms, more than anything, are going to be swayed by well-written, well-thought out statements regardless of the subject.

Maybe at some schools financial aid decisions are made by the adcoms (and thus writing an SE statement might influence your aid decision), but I'm unaware of any schools that do it this way.   If you know of any, let me know, I'm curious.

Pretty much every school I applied to.  If the admissions people like you, they'll definitely influence the financial aid in your favour. For example, I spoke to the admissions people at Columbia when I needed more $, not the financial aid office. I think most of us will agree that "need" is a bit of a myth for law school admissions purposes.  Everyone is needy, but magically the students they like most are the most needy.   :P 

But a SES statement wasn't necessary for this.  They liked you, so they advcocated on your behalf, but an SES didn't make them like you (I'm assuming). 

Seems like in this case the determiner for your aid (in part) was how much they liked you, not how poor you were.
Yale.Law.School.2010

pikey

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2007, 04:15:44 PM »

But a SES statement wasn't necessary for this.  They liked you, so they advcocated on your behalf, but an SES didn't make them like you (I'm assuming). 

Seems like in this case the determiner for your aid (in part) was how much they liked you, not how poor you were.

I didn't do a SES statement, so I can't comment on that.  I did do a diversity statement (though it wasn't really about being black), and I think it did help.  Imo, anything that you think can help should be used.  I used my diversity statement to show a different side of me.  If I had a releveant SE background, I would have written that statement too.  You never know what will make the admissions people want to go to bat for you (other than your numbers, of course).
The noobs are so into themsleves you'd think they allready have offers at Tool, Tool, feminine hygiene product & Dumbass LLC

lsn

Denny Crane

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2007, 04:20:32 PM »
Fair enough, I agree.

I'm just saying that applicants of color should not just default to diversity PS's or SES statements just because they think that's what acdoms want to hear from students of color. 
Yale.Law.School.2010

pikey

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2007, 04:21:54 PM »
Fair enough, I agree.

I'm just saying that applicants of color should not just default to diversity PS's or SES statements just because they think that's what acdoms want to hear from students of color. 

I think anyone who can should write a diversity statement.  It doesn't have to be about race.  Neither does the PS.

lsn

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2007, 04:25:05 PM »
Maybe at some schools financial aid decisions are made by the adcoms (and thus writing an SE statement might influence your aid decision), but I'm unaware of any schools that do it this way.  If you know of any, let me know, I'm curious.

The YLS dean of admissions is traditionally the Dean of Admissions and Financial Aid.

Denny Crane

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2007, 04:28:41 PM »
Maybe at some schools financial aid decisions are made by the adcoms (and thus writing an SE statement might influence your aid decision), but I'm unaware of any schools that do it this way.  If you know of any, let me know, I'm curious.

The YLS dean of admissions is traditionally the Dean of Admissions and Financial Aid.

prestijus
Yale.Law.School.2010

Special Agent Dana Scully

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2007, 04:49:23 PM »
Fair enough, I agree.

I think anyone who can should write a diversity statement.  It doesn't have to be about race.  Neither does the PS.

titcr

i say, anything that adds a diff facet to you should be added into the app package...
Columbia 3L

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2007, 04:58:34 PM »
Fair enough, I agree.

I'm with Denny on this one...people write about race and being poor too much.  Think of something unique about you to write about.