Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: For People of Color  (Read 2641 times)

joebuddencirca03

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
For People of Color
« on: July 13, 2007, 10:41:45 PM »
Did anyone use this website? If so, how useful did you find it?

I am reading their guide to the application process and they mention writing a socio-economic disadvantage addendum, which is apparently separate from the diversity statement. Has anyone ever heard of this or done this? Thank you for the insight.
Georgetown 1.5L

Special Agent Dana Scully

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
Re: For People of Color
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2007, 10:58:03 PM »
i glanced at it.  i found BLSD much more helpful.

personally, my DS was about socioeconomic disadvantage.  i didn't want to write about being black--they knew i was black from the box i checked off.
Columbia 3L

wellpreserved

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2007, 10:55:06 AM »
funny you should ask. i just joined that board this week too and all i've gotten is lots'o'spam. i don't know how useful it is. most of his advice is common sense to me - if  you're a URM you have to be twice as good at something and speak up. No surprise there. But I guess it's ok for some folks. I don't know how I feel about the socioeconomic addendum. it seems like overkill.
I tested between 151 and 162. I hoped for the high end and ended up in the middle. Still, not a bad plan overall, I think.

LSAT: 156 (not taking it again and you can't make me)
GPA: 3.4ish. Still a semester to go
URM, non-trad, 12 yrs work exp, published
Looking for low debt and high aid

ě

• Sr. Citizen
  • non sequitur
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2007, 10:56:49 AM »
if  you're a URM you have to be twice as good at something and speak up.
???

GoldenAfro

• Sr. Citizen
  • Like It's Golden
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2007, 05:09:58 PM »
I wrote a socioeconomic addendum.  People won't know your economic background unless you tell them.  Most people applying to law school (black and white) come from privileged backgrounds.
I'm taking my freedom... Pulling it off the shelf... Putting it on my chain... Wearing it 'round my neck... I'm taking my freedom... Putting it in my car... Wherever I choose to go... It will take me far

Denny Crane

• LSD Obsessed
  • Where's my Shirley Schmidt-ho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2007, 06:08:00 PM »
Didn't write any socio-economically focused statements and no diversity statements.

I think you should write on whatever topic you think will best represent you and make the strongest impression on the adcom.  If that has to do w/ your socioeconomic experience or race, do it.  If not, don't, because it may result in a weaker essay than you might have otherwise written, and that's just not good strategy.

Not to be blunt, but adcoms will take note of your race simply by seeing which (if any) box you check on the application.  It's not necessary for you to write a diversity statement in order for them to recognize your racial background.  Also, be sure to acknowledge in yourself that there are many other personal characteristics you have that make you diverse.  Race is an important factor, but not the only one.
Yale.Law.School.2010

jarhead

• Sr. Citizen
  • "i keeps it reeaal!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2007, 06:45:56 PM »
he does send a lot of spam but i found his advice helpful especially for writing the PS. before i read his guide i was kind of drawing a blank as to what to write (mainly because i had been out of school for a little bit)  there are lots of good statement examples in his application guide. his advice about explaining everything in statements not assuming the law school will infer things etc. i'm sure it helped me out. i checked the box that asked me if i was veteran but i still sent a supplemental statement about my experience, he stresses the importance of distinguishing yourself from other applicants. i followed that advice and got into most of the schools i applied to.
...man, you was who you was before you got here

Denny Crane

• LSD Obsessed
  • Where's my Shirley Schmidt-ho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2007, 07:27:33 PM »
Which website are you guys even talking about?  I don't see a link/name in the OP.
Yale.Law.School.2010

wellpreserved

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2007, 07:29:13 PM »
Didn't write any socio-economically focused statements and no diversity statements.

I think you should write on whatever topic you think will best represent you and make the strongest impression on the adcom.  If that has to do w/ your socioeconomic experience or race, do it.  If not, don't, because it may result in a weaker essay than you might have otherwise written, and that's just not good strategy.

Not to be blunt, but adcoms will take note of your race simply by seeing which (if any) box you check on the application.  It's not necessary for you to write a diversity statement in order for them to recognize your racial background.  Also, be sure to acknowledge in yourself that there are many other personal characteristics you have that make you diverse.  Race is an important factor, but not the only one.

That was my point. With over 60% of the people in this country classified as poor or working middle class one's socioeconomic background is only pertinent if it shaped you in some way AND if you can make it compelling to read. I guess I read his suggestion as "make sure they know you're poor!" which i don't think is all that unique.

But, hey, I'm still in the front end of my cycle I don't know jack. However, as a published writer who has had to read her fair share of stock stories I know the relief of coming across something interesting. I think if you can illicit that feeling you're better off doing it, regardless of topic.
I tested between 151 and 162. I hoped for the high end and ended up in the middle. Still, not a bad plan overall, I think.

LSAT: 156 (not taking it again and you can't make me)
GPA: 3.4ish. Still a semester to go
URM, non-trad, 12 yrs work exp, published
Looking for low debt and high aid

smujd2007

• Sr. Citizen
  • January 6, 2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2007, 07:29:26 PM »
I didn't use this website.

As for what Denny Crane said, it is part right, part wrong.  Sure, adcoms will know you are a URM if you check a box.  But that is exactly what they aren't looking for.  They want to know how that "classification"  has shaped you and what parts of that designation, and what other parts of you, make you who you are and why they would be useful in a law school classroom.  

Sure, if you don't have anything to say, don't say anything.  But socioeconomic statements can be especially useful in scholarship and financial aid applications and processes.  It gives the ad coms a real picture of you financially.  But only if you are specific and concrete.

I did write  what they are calling a "socioeconomic disadvantage" statement--because it has shaped who I am today, in so many different ways.  And it paid off big time.  

Use every opportunity that you can to tell the adcomms something about yourself.  I wouldn't pass up an opportunity to tell adcomms about your socioeconomic situation, if it has shaped who you are.
smujd2007 is now an Attorney at Law!