Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Questions for the Oct. 2 LSAT  (Read 1949 times)

gcameron

• View Profile
    • Email
Questions for the Oct. 2 LSAT
« on: September 21, 2004, 02:29:42 PM »
I have been a silent visitor to this site for approximately the past two months. Only recently I've come to the conclusion that I want to go to law school, as I just graduated last April from teachers college and decided that this was not what I wanted to do with the rest of my life. Once I had finally settled on law school after a significant amount of research I went scurrying about trying to do everything possible so that I can gain acceptance for Fall 2005. Given all that I've mentioned above, I've been extremely busy getting personal references in order, writing my personal statement, and studying for the LSAT all in the span of 7 weeks. Needless to say, all of my LSAT prep has been very crammed as I have been spending approximately 60 hours a week prepping.

Given the excellent advice on the forums I was able to obtain both the LGB and LGR. Unfortunately, before I found this forum I had bought and was spending a significant amount of wasted time using ARCO and Kaplan. I also wasted my time completing 6!!! of Kaplan's stupid prep tests which are nothing like actual administered LSAT tests. (Which everyone on this board is already aware of).

Once I had finally read both Powerscore books and had taken a few LSAT prep tests, I decided to take an approach that would focus my process of answering the questions, by not timing myself, but trying my hardest to get every question right, and understand why I was getting each one wrong. By doing this I shot my score up into the 166 range from 155. After becoming very consistent with this approach (7 tests scoring over 164), I decided to now focus on implementing all that I had learned within the time constraints. Wow was I ever unpleasantly surprised   :'(. I kept my LR marks hovering around 4-6 wrong per section, I dropped to about 6-8 wrong on reading comp from 4-6 wrong, and worst of all I went from getting about 5 wrong on the logic games to getting about 10+ wrong, mainly due to the fact that I never even get to finish one of the games. So needless to say I dropped from getting a raw score of approx 78-82, to 68-72, which as we all know is quite a significant hit.

I do believe I can get a score in the 160ís range if I can improve my Logic games scores within the next 11 days, which I have taken all off work. My study plan for the next two weeks is one prep test in the morning, and one at night for the next week. Then drilling myself on every single game section I have for the next following couple of days. By the time of the test Iím hoping to have taken 25 LSAT prep tests, as of this date Iíve taken 13.

Now that I have given you a little insight as to where I am at, I have a few questions to ask.

1. If I'm applying for schools in November and I write the Oct LSAT and I don't get the mark I want, how will it affect each law schools evaluation of my application if I write the test again in December. I know that some people will respond that I should just take the test in December, but I don't want my test score to rely only on one single shot, I like the idea of writing in October knowing that I can rewrite in December if I screw up. Additionally it would nice to have this test behind come Oct 2 rather than still looming over my head until Dec.

2. When approaching the games section I easily get flustered if Iím not able to diagram the game right away. I find if given more time that I can figure it out, but my problem is that it doesnít come to me quickly enough. Once I have the game diagrammed properly I have no problems completing the game. All my problems stem from not recognizing what setup to use, and how to properly implement each setup. What follows is that I rush through to the questions because Iíve given up on diagramming, only to have to make educated guesses on questions because Icannot fully eliminate all the incorrect answers. I also typically get one game perfect, then completely bomb another game because I utilized an inefficient setup. I also find that I am weaker at grouping games. Any tips/advice?

3. How do you diagram this question from Oct 2001 Preptest 35.

No chordates are tracheophytes, and all members of Pteropsida are traecheophytes. So no members of Pteropsida belong to the family Hominade.

The conclusion above follows logically if which one of the following is assumed

a) All members of the family Hominidae are tracheophytes
b) All members of the family Hominidae are chordates
c) All tracheophytes are members of Pteropsida
d) No members of the family Hominidae are chordates
c) No chordates are members of Pteropsida

4.  Anyone else notice that when it rains it pours on the LR section in that around question 19-23 I often get a chunk of two or three wrong? I also find that assumption questions are the hardest for myself.

5. Is there any way that I can obtain a copy of Powerscore's ultimate setup guide within 5 days, as I cannot order it from Powerscore because it won't get here in time. Money is not an issue as Iím willing to pay for it, itís just a matter of getting it in time. (pdf?)

Sorry for the long winded post, but these logic game scores are really getting me depressed, is anyone else in the same boat?

P.S. Ė It will be a serious blow to my confidence if the experimental section is on the games as well. The idea of having to tackle 8 separate games on the actual test day makes me want to throw up.

cascagrossa

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Questions for the Oct. 2 LSAT
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2004, 04:31:04 PM »
"2. When approaching the games section I easily get flustered if Iím not able to diagram the game right away. I find if given more time that I can figure it out, but my problem is that it doesnít come to me quickly enough. Once I have the game diagrammed properly I have no problems completing the game. All my problems stem from not recognizing what setup to use, and how to properly implement each setup. What follows is that I rush through to the questions because Iíve given up on diagramming, only to have to make educated guesses on questions because I cannot fully eliminate all the incorrect answers. I also typically get one game perfect, then completely bomb another game because I utilized an inefficient setup. I also find that I am weaker at grouping games. Any tips/advice?
"

yes, please someone give some advice here, that is the exact same problem i have with games, and the reason why im still very nervous about score fluctuations.

btw, to diagram: No chordates are tracheophytes, and all members of Pteropsida are traecheophytes. So no members of Pteropsida belong to the family Hominade.

C ---> ~T with the contrapositive T ---> ~C
P ---> T
-------------
P ---> ~C
GAP/ASSUMPTION (~C ---> ~H)
------------------------
P ---> ~H

the answer B is given as the contrapositive.

tjordan90

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.44 / 164
    • AOL Instant Messenger - tjordan90
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2004, 04:45:57 PM »
3. How do you diagram this question from Oct 2001 Preptest 35.

No chordates are tracheophytes, and all members of Pteropsida are traecheophytes. So no members of Pteropsida belong to the family Hominade.

The conclusion above follows logically if which one of the following is assumed

a) All members of the family Hominidae are tracheophytes
b) All members of the family Hominidae are chordates
c) All tracheophytes are members of Pteropsida
d) No members of the family Hominidae are chordates
c) No chordates are members of Pteropsida

I'll take a stab at one of your points, since I just finished Preptest 35 and I have that question in my head:

Premise: C --> ~T  : T --> ~C
Premise: P --> T   : ~T --> ~P
Missing Premise
Conclusion: P --> ~H : H --> ~P

Right away you can eliminate any answer that does not contain Hominidae, since its a term introduced in the conclusion.  Then look at the two premises given and try to link them up: P --> T --> ~C (P --> ~C).  Then how do we get from our deduction to our conclusion?  Well, if we add ~C --> ~H to our inference, we're able to get our conclusion of P --> ~H.  Since ~C --> ~H is equivalent to H --> C, we can conclude that all members of Hominidae are chordates.

And don't be so worried about an experimental games section.  I did a practice test last Saturday and I added a games section as a 5th experimental section, and I actually think there is somewhat of an advantage to having two games on an exam.  I find that games sections get the juices flowing moreso than any other section and I tend to perform better.  I used to suck at games, but now I'm able to not suck.  Just keep practicing games, slow down when you do them, find that key inference, and then attack.
Attending UC Hastings in the fall.

Brian7

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2004, 02:22:13 AM »
C -|-> T <-- P
so, P -|-> H

Assumption: ~C --> ~H

Note: A -|-> B :  A --> Not B
      According to LRB, it would be better to combine common variables.   
166-

M2

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2004, 02:25:49 AM »
very long first post

wstaffor

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.35/174
    • AOL Instant Messenger - WillyRayCyrus06
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2004, 03:25:31 PM »
Why in God's name would you need to diagram that question? That took me about 5 seconds of reading through the answers to figure out.
Accepted: Georgetown, Penn, Baylor ($Full$)
Pending: Harvard, Chicago, UVA, Northwestern, Emory, Tulane
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=wstaffor

cascagrossa

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2004, 03:29:31 PM »
Why in God's name would you need to diagram that question? That took me about 5 seconds of reading through the answers to figure out.

because it takes 10 seconds to diagram, is easy to do, and minimizes the possibility of making a mistake.  why try to fumble through the words when you can approach it in a mechanical way?

wstaffor

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.35/174
    • AOL Instant Messenger - WillyRayCyrus06
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2004, 03:31:42 PM »

because it takes 10 seconds to diagram, is easy to do, and minimizes the possibility of making a mistake.  why try to fumble through the words when you can approach it in a mechanical way?

That 10 seconds can be better spent spacing out for the 10 minutes I have left over after every LR section.

HTH
Accepted: Georgetown, Penn, Baylor ($Full$)
Pending: Harvard, Chicago, UVA, Northwestern, Emory, Tulane
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=wstaffor