Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: A+ = 4.33 - What's your take?  (Read 5200 times)

AkhilAmar

• Sr. Citizen
  • Need lots of good karma!!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
A+ = 4.33 - What's your take?
« on: July 13, 2007, 07:52:49 PM »
So over the course of learning the various in-and-outs of the whole LS process the most shocking revelation has to be the fact that LSAC converts A+'s to 4.33. Personally, this pisses me off. Seriously. Apparently a 98-100 at certain schools is considered an A+, but my school (along with many of my friends') doesn't give out A+'s. Not to be conceited, but many classes I found myself in the 98-100 bracket. So, essentially, LSAC is giving a substantial advantage to students at schools who give out A+'s. I understand that UG GPA is not regarded as fair or equal, and the LSAT is supposedly an equalizer (i.e. puts everyone on an even playing field), but seeing people with a 4.22 GPA while knowing my GPA would be substantially higher if A+ís were given out at my school really irks me. So, I guess what Iím saying is that Iím a bitter s.o.b. and I am wondering if you think giving an advantage to a select number of students is fair to the admissions process (now that I think about it, not much with this process is fair: AA, a standardized test w/ tons of admission weight heavily favoring philosophy majors, law schools favoring Ivey League schools even  though many (I realize not all) are renowned for grade inflation).

*This is merely my opinion in an open-ended question format. I am NOT planning on writing an addendum about this (that would do nothing but falsely portray me as having a whinny disposition).
UGPA: 3.8

LSAT: Dec. '07

Dream school: Michigan!

UFBoldAsLove

• Sr. Citizen
  • Go Gators.
    • View Profile
Re: A+ = 4.33 - What's your take?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2007, 07:57:31 PM »
Not to be conceded, but many classes I found myself in the 98-100 bracket.

Not exactly a moment you want to misspell conceited.  :-X

EDIT: That was uncharacteristically snotty of me. But I found it ironic. Sorry Amar. The LSAT matters much more than GPA anyways.
Vandy 1L... really?

AkhilAmar

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2007, 08:00:41 PM »
Lol, touchť. I CONCEDE UFBAL.

AkhilAmar

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2007, 08:07:33 PM »
Meh, I found it in good taste because it was so very ironic.

dashrashi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2007, 08:20:42 PM »
I agree with the OP. (Amar fan?) Yale has +/-, just not A+. So a 90-92 or whatever is A- and then 93 to 100 is an A (4.0). Stanford, however, has A+ as 97-100, I believe, with each A+ accordingly being calculated as 4.33 by LSAC. I would imagine Stanford's average applicant GPA is much higher than Yale's, but I wouldn't attribute it to a difference in student quality.
This sig kills fascists.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=dashrashi

Saw dashrashi's LSN site. Since she seems to use profanity, one could say that HYP does not necessarily mean class or refinement.

California_RedRaider

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2007, 08:22:11 PM »
Such is life!

I understand your annoyance but think about the schools, like mine, that do not give +/-'s.
I say we're the ones that have the most to complain about!

It stinks to have to go to the professor and ask for the +'s. Last semester I had to go in and ask a professor for an A+, he thought i was an ass, but understood. My first semester I hadn't realized LSDAS calculates +/-'s, and I sure would've liked my +'s. All my transfer credits from dual credit courses are straight letters also.

It stinks, but what can you do! If you write an addendum about it, it sounds whiny!

TurboGirl

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - turbogirl3535
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2007, 08:23:26 PM »
My school doesn't give out A pluses either, but they give out minuses. That kind of makes me mad too, be\cause there are other schools that do and I could really use them to balance out my minuses and keep my GPA strong. My school uses 3.7s and 2.7s for A and B minuses so my GPA will drop a little bit. I am thinking about taking online courses or something just for the sake of getting a number grade and evening the score.

VB

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2007, 08:23:50 PM »
There are also some universities that only have A, B, C, D, F.  So where you may have received an A- at some universities you would get an A on your transcript at these universities.

Also I might be wrong but I don't think it is that unusual for universities to show A+s on the transcript.  So it's not really "a select number of students" if what you mean by that is a few lucky students.

I'm not really sure why you think that philosophy majors are favored in the admissions process.  And although I don't think it is justified for Ivy League schools to have grade inflation, I do think it is foolish to argue that the quality of the undergraduate institution should not be a factor in the admissions process.

Special Agent Dana Scully

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2007, 08:25:34 PM »
There are also some universities that only have A, B, C, D, F.  So where you may have received an A- at some universities you would get an A on your transcript at these universities.

Also I might be wrong but I don't think it is that unusual for universities to show A+s on the transcript.  So it's not really "a select number of students" if what you mean by that is a few lucky students.

I'm not really sure why you think that philosophy majors are favored in the admissions process.  And although I don't think it is justified for Ivy League schools to have grade inflation, I do think it is foolish to argue that the quality of the undergraduate institution should not be a factor in the admissions process.

yup/ we had no + or - at my ug and you could only get an A/B/C or NC for a grade.
Columbia 3L

dashrashi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2007, 08:31:33 PM »
There are also some universities that only have A, B, C, D, F.  So where you may have received an A- at some universities you would get an A on your transcript at these universities.

Also I might be wrong but I don't think it is that unusual for universities to show A+s on the transcript.  So it's not really "a select number of students" if what you mean by that is a few lucky students.

I'm not really sure why you think that philosophy majors are favored in the admissions process.  And although I don't think it is justified for Ivy League schools to have grade inflation, I do think it is foolish to argue that the quality of the undergraduate institution should not be a factor in the admissions process.

yup/ we had no + or - at my ug and you could only get an A/B/C or NC for a grade.

On the other hand, your ug offers many opportunities for those who want to increase their GPA with very little work, from what I hear.  ;)
This sig kills fascists.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=dashrashi

Saw dashrashi's LSN site. Since she seems to use profanity, one could say that HYP does not necessarily mean class or refinement.