Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Computer Advice  (Read 2078 times)

melisssasue

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - alemanmelissa
    • View Profile
Computer Advice
« on: July 13, 2007, 07:00:59 PM »
Before I order I just want to know what you guys think about this computers specs.

6465CTO  ThinkPad T61 15 Widescreen - 1 Yr Depot Warranty

7/26/2007**  $1,244.00 $1,244.00 
   Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T7300 (2.0GHz 800MHz 4MBL2)[1] 
  Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium[12] 
  15.4 WXGA TFT 
  Intel GMA X3100 GM965 w/ WWAN 
  1 GB PC2-5300 DDR2 SDRAM 667MHz SODIMM Memory (1 DIMM)[8] 
  UltraNav (TrackPoint and TouchPad) with Fingerprint Reader 
  100GB Hard Disk Drive, 7200rpm[4] 
  DVD Recordable 8x Max Dual Layer, Ultrabay Slim[5] 
  ThinkPad 11a/b/g Wi-Fi wireless LAN Mini-PCIe US/EMEA/LA/ANZ[10] 
  9 cell Li-Ion Battery[60] 
  6465: Express - 1 Yr Depot Warranty[7] 

41C9334  3 Year Depot Upgrade with 3 Year ThinkPad Protection   $279.00  $279.00 

myconfessions

• ''Denny Crane, legal genius.'' -Denny Crane
    • View Profile
Re: Computer Advice
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2007, 07:21:46 PM »
You might want to stay away from Windows Vista for awhile.  Some schools are having problems with the exam software working properly with that operating system. 
GW Law Class of 2010

hedonismbot

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2007, 01:05:38 AM »
I just bought a ThinkPad, too - though the price on the receipt e-mailed to me was different than the price displayed (AFTER sending my credit card info online) and I've spent the past few days in customer service hell.  Customer service issues aside, I couldn't imagine buying anything but a ThinkPad and am crossing my fingers that Lenovo hasn't changed the quality too much.  I bought a X-series laptop, but I hope I don't regret a 12" 1024x768 screen...

Personally, I wouldn't want a 15.4" laptop and would opt for the lighter 14.1" T61, but I think that's a very good price, esp. with upgrades like the 7200rpm hard drive & DVD burner.  You might want to add another gig of RAM later though - Vista's a memory hog.  I do somewhat agree with the suggestion of avoiding Vista, but my law school recommended if we're buying a new system (as opposed to upgrading an older one) to buy it with Vista business.

Oh, and finally, you probably know this - search for coupon codes and if you have an AMEX, sign up for Tailor Made.  It can get you 7% or 10% off.

«ě»

• Sr. Citizen
  • non sequitur
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2007, 06:19:20 AM »
thinkpads are expensive, but a lot of people swear by them. I prefer something slightly less powerful for half the price. If it breaks down in a couple years, I'll replace it and still spend less money overall.

Your argument relies on two assumptions. 1) It will only break down once 2) It's lower specs will not be a disadvantage at any point.

Not saying it's flawed, and I don't really know how powerful computer you need for law school applications.

togbra

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2007, 09:53:56 AM »
You can get sony vaio with similar specs for the same price (see frys.com - Sony VGN-FZ140E/B).  but honestly, you don't need a fancy laptop to run Microsoft Word and OneNote on an XP machine {a laptop running Vista however, would need more power)... To answer the OP, for the price and specs, its a fairly decent price (I would expect 2gb of ram for that price, though).

«ě»

• Sr. Citizen
  • non sequitur
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2007, 10:55:01 AM »
Vista doesn't require much power if you tweak it a bit actually, I'm running it on a 4 year old box, just for the sake of getting to work, and it could handle any office-type applications easily.

StudentUVA

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2007, 11:48:20 AM »
I'd get 2 gigs of ram but i suppose you could buy it yourself and install it later. You'd save money that way. Just make sure that 1 gig is 1 stick.

ciao-a-bunga

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2007, 02:44:16 PM »
I'm on my second ThinkPad.  I love them, and I've never had problems with my laptops... while noticing that all my friends' laptops broke down at some point.

Anyway, I've been thinking about getting a desktop in addition to my laptop, just because they're so inexpensive and much more comfortable too use.  It'd be nice to have the additional hard disk space, and the latest graphics cards, etc.

Anybody have good recommendations on desktops?  Anyone use both?

P-155

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2007, 02:50:12 PM »
I am also in desperation for advice. Currently, I'm stuck between the Dell XPS M1330 or a Sony VGN SZ 450. Which is the better option?

P.S. Should I also purchase the extended 3 yr. warranty?

Ravynous Elegance

• Sr. Citizen
  • aw the baby bunt! too bad he got big.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2007, 09:49:15 PM »
I'm on my second ThinkPad.  I love them, and I've never had problems with my laptops... while noticing that all my friends' laptops broke down at some point.

Anyway, I've been thinking about getting a desktop in addition to my laptop, just because they're so inexpensive and much more comfortable too use.  It'd be nice to have the additional hard disk space, and the latest graphics cards, etc.

Anybody have good recommendations on desktops?  Anyone use both?

I highly recommend building your own desktop computer. However, if you can't do that - All that matters is whats inside the box. I have a market HP desktop and one that I custom built. I used the HP in college and it hasn't failed me yet. Just make sure you get at least a dual core processor and 300 GB memory. My HP has a media drive bay so I can insert my external hard drive directly into the desktop - I like that it saves on wires.

I hate Dells... but thats just my personal preference. I also would not go near Compaq (even though they are just slightly cheaper HP computers). Alienware has some nice ones... though they are pricey.

Seriously though, if you can build your own or have a friend build one for you, do that.
Vanderbilt University School of Law 2010