Law School Discussion

How many hours a week do you study?

How many hours a week do you study?
« on: July 12, 2007, 10:52:59 PM »
I just started the testmasters course yesterday, taking the LSAT @ the end of Septemeber.  I was just curious how much some of you that have already taken the LSAT studied.  How did you do? Would you study more/less if you had to do it over?  I have a feeling this thing (studying for the LSAT) is going to consume me and RULE my life for the next couple months.  HAPPY HAPPY JOY JOY and DYYYNOMITE!!!       :( 

Re: How many hours a week do you study?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2007, 01:21:12 AM »
I'm trying to go for more but at the moment can't push past the 2hrs/day mark.  (I'm interning in a law office and any more law stuff in one day will cause my head to IM/EXPLODE).

LizPendens™

• The Real Alice -- Adventures in Wonderland
    • View Profile

CrnchyCereal

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2007, 07:20:54 AM »
Yikes...should I be concerned?  I have not been doing nearly that much studying for the LSAT.  At the moment, I take one practice test a week to gauge progress (and build stamina), then spend time during the week reading through LGB/LRB and going over older questions I've already done (mostly games).  However, I only do the latter MAX 1 hour a day.  To be fair, I'm working a full-time internship this summer and have a girlfriend, so a lot of my time is taken up by that.  The plan is to really put things into overdrive come August when I'm home for a few weeks before school starts...

«ě»

• non sequitur
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2007, 10:51:26 AM »
Moderate study for first exam; 156
Insame studying for retake; 178

Question answered I hope :)

Hizzla Pimp

• U wanna come here and say that, beeyotch?
    • AOL Instant Messenger - harveyorbust
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2007, 12:28:00 PM »
I didn't take a course but in the beginning, I took 2 preptests every week, with 5 sections each. It took me 2-3 hours on average to go over each section.  So that amounted to 30 hours a week just reviewing the preptests, and an additional 6 hours taking the preptests. I also did a 4 hour re-review session at the end of the week. So it was roughly 40 hours/week.

As I got a better understanding of the material, that dropped to  around 10 hours/week. Now, I just spend 4-8 hours each week reviewing the harder questions as I prepare for my retake.

Keep at it and be consistent. It well pay off in a big way.

«ě»

• non sequitur
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2007, 03:51:54 PM »
Hmm to be a bit more constructive than I was the last time. When prepping for retake I did one prep test (untimed, I only did a few timed in total to get a 'feeling' for timing it) every second day. The other days I went over the test I took the day before. Not merely checking my mistakes, but going through every single answer alternative to make sure I picked the right one for the right reason and eliminated the 4 wrong ones for the right reason

The checking of the tests actually took more or less the same time as taking the tests did. But I would absolutely say it paid off. I'd guess 3-4 hours a day. Which left me like 12 hours to post here, so I'm a happy camper.

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2007, 04:46:05 PM »
Yikes...should I be concerned?  I have not been doing nearly that much studying for the LSAT.  At the moment, I take one practice test a week to gauge progress (and build stamina), then spend time during the week reading through LGB/LRB and going over older questions I've already done (mostly games).  However, I only do the latter MAX 1 hour a day.  To be fair, I'm working a full-time internship this summer and have a girlfriend, so a lot of my time is taken up by that.  The plan is to really put things into overdrive come August when I'm home for a few weeks before school starts...

It's probably enough time... although I would offer one piece of advice, speaking partially from personal experience and partially from talking to people: don't get complacent with low-to-mid 170 practice scores. Assume that when you take the test, it will exploit every weakness you have. In other words, if humanities passages are kind of so-so, for instance, that's most likely where you'll miss a bunch of questions on test day.

I'm not trying to scare you or anything, it's just that when people take the test, their scores tend to be at the low-end of their practice range, and I think that's usually the reason. I'm not sure why this is the case, exactly, but my theory is that it can be traced back to nerves - if you absolutely annihilate a particular question type during prep, you'll also do so on the exam with no real difficulty. However, if you are a little shaky on one type of question, nerves will kick in and that deficiency will be compounded.

So in other words, make sure your practice is focused enough to stamp out specific problem areas (many of which you've probably already identified by going over your old prep tests). One good way of accomplishing this is forcing yourself to get a little mad at yourself over any question you miss on a prep test - in essence, shoot for perfection.

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2007, 11:21:31 PM »
Hey, thanks to everyone who replied on this.  I'm glad I found this board, it's amazing how helpful eveybody is.  You guys rock!  ;D

Hank Rearden

• Zurich is stained
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2007, 11:40:49 PM »
The one thing I would emphasize is, take as many tests toward the end of your preparation as possible.  Maybe a month before I took the test, I had been scoring in the high 170s on earlier tests, but I had also been getting high 160s on some more recent ones.  So in the month before the test I took maybe 3 or 4 tests per week until I was consistently getting 173/174 on maybe 5 or 6 recent tests in a row.  It was then that I knew I was ready, and on the real thing I missed 8 and got a 172, which was almost exactly what I had predicted.