Law School Discussion

Waitlisted for Sept LSAT??

Waitlisted for Sept LSAT??
« on: July 12, 2007, 09:18:09 PM »
Hi all. I am just beginning this LS journey and...

I just attempted to register for the September 07 LSAT (with what I thought was plenty of time) and there are NO spaces in any of the 8 of so testing centers near me. I have been waitlisted, but this makes me very nervous.

I live in a major city (Washington, DC.) Is this common? Do they add more spaces based on waitlists? What does one do in this situation? I will surely do poorly if I have to go take the test in some other city. :(

Thanks in advance for all the feedback.

ctown

Re: Waitlisted for Sept LSAT??
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2007, 10:55:11 PM »
You should check Richmond.

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2007, 11:05:27 PM »
That happened to me, too, (not in D.C., but same basic issue) when I tried to registered for the test way back when.

I trued to book my seat the day before the regular registration deadline, so maybe that had something to do with it.

Anyway, I asked my pre-lay adviser, and she said that I should probably just hangout on the waitlist until someone canceled... and lo-and-behold a few days later someone did.

There is a couple advantages to this approach: first, although I never had to do this, I certainly wouldn't want to have to go far from home to take the test, which is what you'd be doing if you register for an out-of-region test center.

Also, I'm skeptical of the website when it says to enroll at a different center but also stay on the waitlist for your prefered location. It seems to me that this is just a trick to get you to pay the $35 relocation fee when a seat opens up. My guess is this is why they don't tell you where you are on the waitlist; they want to inspire fear.

So, just speaking from my own limited experience, go on the waitlist, don't book a seat in Rochester or anything, and assume that you'll get in.

papercranes

• Beer Lao. Why did I leave and come to law school?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2007, 11:09:57 PM »
Same thing happened to me. I called in a panic because I did not want to take a 12 hour bus ride to the nearest test centre with seats. They told me to sign myself up for the waitlist and that, as the date gets nearer, LSAC will book more rooms and proctors depending on the number of people on the waitlist.

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2007, 11:24:58 PM »
Same thing happened to me. I called in a panic because I did not want to take a 12 hour bus ride to the nearest test centre with seats. They told me to sign myself up for the waitlist and that, as the date gets nearer, LSAC will book more rooms and proctors depending on the number of people on the waitlist.

Are you retaking in Sept, or was this your experience from the June test?

papercranes

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2007, 11:46:40 PM »
Experience from June. Are you suggesting I should take it again? ;) :o

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2007, 11:48:43 PM »

Don't see why not. If you can get, like, 4 more questions right, you'd be a shoe-in for the T-13 (I don't count Georgetown)

papercranes

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2007, 12:04:38 AM »

Don't see why not. If you can get, like, 4 more questions right, you'd be a shoe-in for the T-13 (I don't count Georgetown)

I know but there's always that small chance that I could do worse, and even a 1 point drop would probably look pretty bad.

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2007, 12:11:37 AM »

Yes. Come to the darkside.  :) We have very similar numbers (my GPA is a little lower) and I'm definitely retaking- just not sure if it's going to be September or next June.

If you did worse (let's say a 1 point drop) would that really hurt your chances at the Canadian schools you have listed on your LSN? I'm not sure it would really hurt your chances at US schools, although it certainly wouldn't be a positive factor.

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2007, 12:12:04 AM »

I know but there's always that small chance that I could do worse, and even a 1 point drop would probably look pretty bad.

Bad logic. Maybe you shouldn't retake.

/sarcasm