Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Gotta release the anger somewhere  (Read 2068 times)

Lindbergh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Gotta release the anger somewhere
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2007, 12:30:24 PM »
So i am sitting at my course trying to pay as much attention as i possible can, these two B*tches start eating. EATING!!! For f-ing out loud! It gets better, one of the them starts talking to another on a totally random topic. I turned around to show that i was pissed but to no avail...

I can understand having a light snack or some candy to keep the blood sugar flowing during class (you gotta eat) but the full meal DURING class time thing has always baffled me.  I have had students bring in full course meals and take their time eating it in the friggin middle of the class time.  Grab some fast food or a quick snack and power it down before class starts or during the break for gods sake.  Class time is not meant to be meal time.  Unfortunately there are always people with misplaced priorities that are just going through the motions by showing up for class and sitting in the chair.

Alert your instructor about the distracters in order to get him / her to do something about it.  Especially about the distracting side chit chat. You paid good money and should not stand or have to tolerate the distracting slackers that are not serious about it.  Be pro-active to get your moneys worth. If you put a little pressure on your instructor you should get some action.  If that does not work call the company office about it and some sh*t will likely roll down hill to get it handled. 

The distracting side talk during lecture and class discussion is the worst. I once had a fist fight almost break out in a big class.  Slacker guy from a rich family was talking up a hot blonde he was sitting next to.  African American girl sitting in front of them that had paid for the class with her own hard earned cash.  She had had enough and freaked out on the guy loudly.  He, being a spoiled dickhead, laid back into her and stood up and got in her face.  She stood up and started to cock her arm to take a swing at him. It all went down in around 30 seconds.  Of course I came down like a hammer right away to put a stop to it.  (they were sitting way in the back so I could not hear and was not aware of the side talking until the fight broke out)

Needless to say, I almost kicked the guy out of class and thought long and hard about getting his enrollment revoked. (didn't go through with that)  After that event I paid close attention to that guy and came down hard on him instantly everytime he started up with more distracting talking with the girls around him.  I think he was using the class purely as a pick-up place.  After slamming him down and mildly humiliating him a few times in front of the class it stopped.  Shortly after that he stopped coming to class.

Main point being that your instructor cannot address or deal with class problems he / she is not aware of and that instructors are generally concerned about maintaining a quality classroom environment and will deal with issues brought to their attention.  It is difficult to keep track of everything happening in the room while leading a class through the materials.

The herpes idea is a good one.  Making fun of those types of people out loud in front of the class with a quick quip is pretty effective to shut them down.

Fight for your right to learn and get your monies worth!

You are right, Jeffort. I should inform the instructor. I was so close telling him but i felt bad after because he also noticed it and tried to ignore them. He is one of those nicest, harmless guys that wants people not to hate him.

It's his job to stop people from talking, though.  If he's really nice, he'll want to to look out for you and the other students. 

PNym

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2007, 12:51:40 PM »
You are right, Jeffort. I should inform the instructor. I was so close telling him but i felt bad after because he also noticed it and tried to ignore them. He is one of those nicest, harmless guys that wants people not to hate him.

It's his job to stop people from talking, though.  If he's really nice, he'll want to to look out for you and the other students. 

I definitely agree with Lindbergh. The instructor may be a nice person, but he has to enforce classroom discipline, because otherwise the most-disruptive students will dictate the pace and depth of the course, which only hurts the people who are a bit more serious about learning the material.

Being nice doesn't preclude having a spine. A teacher who lacks the willingness to enforce classroom standards of behavior isn't doing his job.

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
  • hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2007, 07:01:26 PM »
julie bet you go through lots daddy's money, not mention mommy's underwear drawer.

giveme170

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2007, 02:04:00 AM »
Hey, I just thought of this strange idea. What if someone was constantly yelling outside of the classroom where 30+ students were taking the real LSAT?  ;D

Julee Fern

• Sr. Citizen
  • be cheerleader for al qaeda and osama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2007, 02:48:24 AM »
absolutely.  just wave $20 in front of republican.

Or $5 in front of Demoncrat!   :D
goooooo al qaeda!  gooooooo bin laden!  go, go, osama bin laden!

never mind all people you killing senselessly--that just more that silly conservative thinking.  what important is scooter libby and cheney's former employers.  beeeeeeee substantive!

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2007, 08:52:59 AM »
not you hear?  democrats now outraise republicans.

Julee Fern

• Sr. Citizen
  • be cheerleader for al qaeda and osama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2007, 01:11:12 PM »
not you hear?  democrats now outraise republicans.

sure, they much more promiscuous!   :)

but still cheaper.   :D
goooooo al qaeda!  gooooooo bin laden!  go, go, osama bin laden!

never mind all people you killing senselessly--that just more that silly conservative thinking.  what important is scooter libby and cheney's former employers.  beeeeeeee substantive!

PNym

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2007, 01:44:10 PM »
Would Julie and Julee please knock it off? The LSAT prep board isn't the best place to take political potshots at each other. I think there's another board on this site for those types of discussions.

If you insist on sniping at each other in a thread a 3rd party started to get their questions answered, you do that 3rd party a grave disservice by driving away people who might actually be interested in talking about the original topic (in this case, unacceptible behaviors in an LSAT prep class).

So, please, knock it off. If you want to snipe, you can always do it via personal messages.

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2007, 05:45:08 PM »
Would Julie and Julee please knock it off? The LSAT prep board isn't the best place to take political potshots at each other. I think there's another board on this site for those types of discussions.

If you insist on sniping at each other in a thread a 3rd party started to get their questions answered, you do that 3rd party a grave disservice by driving away people who might actually be interested in talking about the original topic (in this case, unacceptible behaviors in an LSAT prep class).

So, please, knock it off. If you want to snipe, you can always do it via personal messages.

go eat *&^%.  you obviously talk about whatever you want.

julie guesssing you republican.

mentor

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2007, 01:52:05 PM »
I think he was using the class purely as a pick-up place.

I don't understand what the problem is?   ???

From what I understand, the instructor technically has jus primae noctis with any and all attractive members of the class; this guy was trying to muscle in.  HTH.
San Diego LSAT Tutor
lsatsd@gmail.com