Law School Discussion

« on: July 12, 2007, 09:59:55 AM »

Re: Details, Details, Details...
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2007, 10:34:42 AM »
So recently in my practice tests I only miss a few LR questions per section, but I usually miss them because I miss little details. I either read over things, or just don't take the time to really understand an answer choice (like a double negative). Has anyone had a similar experience and do you have any advice on how to overcome it?

I had the same problem with LR. I used to miss 2 questions per section with amazing consistency.

The turning point came when I realized they were mostly the same types of question ('which of the following allows the conclusion to be drawn logically?' and 'if all of the above statements are true, which of the following must also be true?'), and that I was missing them in the same places (usually between questions 13-18)

This was actually kind of encouraging - I knew I just had to make some small adjustments to my approach to get rid of these glitches.

So, I guess I'd say you might want to go through some of your old answer sheets, and try to find patterns to your misses besides sloppy reading - if you can get a more specific idea of what's causing problems, you should be able to correct it.

ě

• non sequitur
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2007, 04:00:32 AM »
hmm, start focusing? :)

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2007, 05:38:02 PM »
So recently in my practice tests I only miss a few LR questions per section, but I usually miss them because I miss little details. I either read over things, or just don't take the time to really understand an answer choice (like a double negative). Has anyone had a similar experience and do you have any advice on how to overcome it?

Maybe it sounds dumb, but now that you know what your problems are (i.e. not paying attention to details and not fully understanding answer choices), why don't you start paying more attention to details and start making sure you understand choices before you move on?  To pracetice, I would suggest reading newspapers and magazines.  Read articles quickly and try to retain as much detail as possible.  HTH

Secant Tangent Cosine Sine 3.14159

• "Do you know what happens to a toad..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2007, 06:02:22 PM »
I had/have the exact same problem.  June 06 I missed 2 each LR section. For me, they were deemed some of the most difficult/highly debated questions on the test.  What I mean by that is that I missed them becaues I should have devoted more time to them.  I finished each of the LR sections with about 4-6 minutes to spare, and I just sort of paged through frantically not really deciding what to check over.  For me, checking over my answers at the end doesn't work.  I will second guess myself, and my first instincts tend to be correct.  So personally, I am going to be a little bit less time-conscious for the more difficult questions, and hopefully I will catch the little details that left me smacking my head in retrospect.  For example, I missed the hospital executive question on the June exam, and afterwords I'm sitting in front of my computer looking at my IRR going "OF COURSE YOU IDIOT...HOSPITALS HAVE OTHER PROBLEMS THAN SYSTEM SECURITY!  What about Ebola!?  What about whiny patients!?  Duh!" (see #17 in the June 2007 LSAT LR Section 1).  HTH.