Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Low LSAT High GPA  (Read 4062 times)

gdogg

• View Profile
Re: Low LSAT High GPA
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2007, 05:57:38 PM »
Im in a very similar situation.  Bombed the LSAT but only studied for 3 weeks before the June 11 test.  At 13% you must have got about a 140.  I got a 138!! :(  I have an MEd (and a BS)from the U of MN and recieved a 4.0 in an education administration /Principal program from a private college after my MEd (I was in public education for eight years before pulling the plug).  A t-4 would be fine for me, but with a 138 Id be lucky to get into Florida A&M or Barry!!!

I was thinking about the Kaplan classes, but anyone else have any other test prep suggestions for re-taking the LSAT ?   

knicksfan0323

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2007, 09:50:38 PM »
I would recommend a prep course of any sort and tons of studying...I took Kaplan and it wasn't the most helpful for me, but the general conensus at least for Kaplan was it was more for people who scored lower and needed help on everything, not just one area.

To look on the bright side, your low scores leaves room for a lot of improvement....It may just be a matter of grasping a few fundamental concepts on the LSAT that can gain you a lot of points after practice.

Good luck and dont give up on your dream!

«ě»

• Sr. Citizen
  • non sequitur
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2007, 11:32:22 AM »
Im in a very similar situation.  Bombed the LSAT but only studied for 3 weeks before the June 11 test.  At 13% you must have got about a 140.  I got a 138!! :(  I have an MEd (and a BS)from the U of MN and recieved a 4.0 in an education administration /Principal program from a private college after my MEd (I was in public education for eight years before pulling the plug).  A t-4 would be fine for me, but with a 138 Id be lucky to get into Florida A&M or Barry!!!

I was thinking about the Kaplan classes, but anyone else have any other test prep suggestions for re-taking the LSAT ?   

find a personal tutor to be honest... you got good academic skills obviously, so the low lsat score must be something in the test that you're just not getting. i'm absolutely confident you can improve a lot.

bamf

• Sr. Citizen
  • legal eagle
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2007, 11:38:08 AM »
two options:
1) retake the test after studying effectively

2) get a social work degree .. you can probably do more good there, anyways...
2L, Boston College Law

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/bamf

Around from time to time.  Always willing to answer any Qs about BC, my '06/'07 cycle or law school in general ... PMs work better ...

Jolie Was Here

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3L. Meh.
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2007, 11:47:04 AM »
One of my dearest friends had a similar story.  She kicked ass in undergrad, did great in law school, finished her masters in 1 year while working and still got near-perfect grades...this woman works really hard and is quite smart.  But she can't master standardized tests to save her life.  Her LSAT was super low and it forced her into a low-ranked law school.  She hated every minute of law school (finished a semester early, just to get the hell out.)  Life went on.  It took her a while to find a job she likes, but she never intended to go to a big firm anyway.  She's now a permanent clerk for a federal court in Chicago - decent pay, sweet hours and low stress.  I guess my points are twofold: there are definitely people who are very bright who just can't seem to master the LSAT.  And it doesn't have to mean the end of the world.   
I was referring to your intellectual penis. Which is quite robust.

Jolie is creeping up on me. 

latinlord

• Sr. Citizen
  • ME... Litigating at the Indiana State Court house!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - latinlord
    • View Profile
    • myspace profile, "come and say hello"
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2007, 12:02:41 PM »
Ahhh yes the sounds of frustration from the LSAT... I don't think I have to go into my story all that much.. You can see it on my LSN profile. I am now a 2L at a fine school. My advice... retake it if you can... If not, then apply all over.. It is possible to get accepted.My school had a summer class program that wan't conditonal.. only that I pass it.. everyone did!! Now adays every school takes the higher score anyway.. So there is ntohing really holding you back.. Back when I applied a lot of schools averaged it, which really hurt me.

PS: the the trolls that said if you score low on the LSAT means you are not capable of law school... you idiots need to get a life and  realize that there is a lot more in life that determines success than a stupid standarized test. I am a perfect example. My second score was a 144!! About 10points higher than my first!! I got into a good law school that took a chance on me. Now i'm doing extremely well, better than most in my class who got in the 160's on their LSAT. So again it really means nothing.... Study retake it do better just to ablige law school admissions then realize it means nothing once you get into school.

Look at my LSN profile and apply to theschools i got into, b/c they are ones that might take a chance on you!! Good luck to you all! Keep fighting don't give up on your dream. My first cycle I went 0 for 11, my second I went 7 for 24!! It only takes 1 acceptance!! Take care and good luck
Graduated from Indiana Law - Indianapolis!!
Was a 3rd year Visiting Student at Villanova University School of Law.
Graduated from Temple University Beasley School of Law - LL.M in Trial Advocacy Candidate 2010
 Published by Chicano/Latino Law Review of UCLA LAW. & I'm a Licensed Esq. NOW!

«ě»

• Sr. Citizen
  • non sequitur
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2007, 01:48:00 PM »
One of my dearest friends had a similar story.  She kicked ass in undergrad, did great in law school, finished her masters in 1 year while working and still got near-perfect grades...this woman works really hard and is quite smart.  But she can't master standardized tests to save her life.  Her LSAT was super low and it forced her into a low-ranked law school.  She hated every minute of law school (finished a semester early, just to get the hell out.)  Life went on.  It took her a while to find a job she likes, but she never intended to go to a big firm anyway.  She's now a permanent clerk for a federal court in Chicago - decent pay, sweet hours and low stress.  I guess my points are twofold: there are definitely people who are very bright who just can't seem to master the LSAT.  And it doesn't have to mean the end of the world.   

I agree, and it's for these people I think a personal tutor might be better than signing up for a course with a lot of other people who stuggle with different problems. You're probably not going to get a 180, but every little bit helps.

annita

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2007, 06:28:50 PM »
I am extremely frustrated.  I completely BOMBED the LSAT.  I even paid a ton of cash for that Stupid Kaplan classroom program and it did me NO good.  I feel completely defeated.  So much so, it has affected every other aspect of my life.  How much weight do they put on the LAST score anyway?  I am in the top 8% concerning GPA, I am graduating in the top 5% of my class, and yet I am in the BOTTOM 13% for my LSAT score.  I have GREAT letters of recommendation and I have diversity coming out of my A$$. 
Is there hope for me?
 Thought of taking that test again is horrifying.  I  LOVE the law.  For me it is not about the money or all of the personal bennies that go with it.  It is about learning and knowing the law.  It is about ensuring everyone has a fair chance at life.  It is about giving people a chance and not letting the "Haves" take advantage of the "Have Not’s".  Law is confusing and the legal system seems to be built inside a in-penetrateable barrier.  Only those with the secret password can enter.  Only those with the money can buy those who are allowed to enter.

Hey Cheri,

I think you definitely need to retake the LSAT. You have both October and December as possibilities -- there's time to study.

A couple of questions:

Did you order any of the the LSAC Official Preptests and take them (timed) before the actual exam?  If so, did you go over the questions you got wrong and try to understand why you got them wrong?

You need to take some Preptests to (1) figure out your basic score range and (2) figure out what you need to work on.

You should (as people have suggested) buy the Powerscore bibles and/or hire a private tutor, if only for a couple one-hour sessions.

You should not be horrified of taking the test again.

If you can gain a command of even a couple basic concepts tested on the LSAT, you should be able to score in the 150's or higher. Personally, I don't think anyone should settle for a 140, and since you have such a high GPA, I find it hard to believe you're incapable of scoring higher.

«ě»

• Sr. Citizen
  • non sequitur
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2007, 06:00:29 AM »
If you don't want to spend the money on a tutor, use the LSAT forum here for what it's worth. There's plenty of high scorers who doesn't mind giving some advice and pointers on where you're going wrong.