Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Low LSAT High GPA  (Read 3980 times)

cheri

• View Profile
Low LSAT High GPA
« on: July 12, 2007, 02:19:48 AM »
I am extremely frustrated.  I completely BOMBED the LSAT.  I even paid a ton of cash for that Stupid Kaplan classroom program and it did me NO good.  I feel completely defeated.  So much so, it has affected every other aspect of my life.  How much weight do they put on the LAST score anyway?  I am in the top 8% concerning GPA, I am graduating in the top 5% of my class, and yet I am in the BOTTOM 13% for my LSAT score.  I have GREAT letters of recommendation and I have diversity coming out of my A$$. 
Is there hope for me?
 Thought of taking that test again is horrifying.  I  LOVE the law.  For me it is not about the money or all of the personal bennies that go with it.  It is about learning and knowing the law.  It is about ensuring everyone has a fair chance at life.  It is about giving people a chance and not letting the "Haves" take advantage of the "Have Notís".  Law is confusing and the legal system seems to be built inside a in-penetrateable barrier.  Only those with the secret password can enter.  Only those with the money can buy those who are allowed to enter.

Pop Up Video

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: Low LSAT High GPA
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2007, 02:26:53 AM »
LSAT is weighed more heavily than GPA. A lot more heavily than GPA. Is retaking a possibility?

TurboGirl

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - turbogirl3535
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2007, 02:30:02 AM »
GPA is expected to be decent, but not as important as your LSAT. They put a lot of wait on the LSAT. Have you checked out Lawschoolnumbers.com yet to see where others with your GPA and scores have placed?

To get into a top 14 school, it looks like you'll generally need to score in the high 160s to have a good shot. If you have a good GPA and are looking for a top 50 school, then something in the low 160s, high 150s should get you accepted.

Judgie Poo

• Sr. Citizen
  • Nulli Secundus
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2007, 02:53:39 AM »
Don't go into law.

Not kidding.
Never gonna give you up, never gonna let you down.

bigtimedump

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2007, 07:14:47 PM »
Considering you must have scored in the low 130s or lower you have to retake and try again. If you cannot earn past a 145, even as a minority, it will be tough to go anywhere that is aba accredited. But the question really is, can you handle law school? The test is full of sh&t in many ways but scoring that low indicates some serious flaws in your ability to read, comprehend, and reason logically. I do think someone with a 150 or better shows the capability to read and analyze the law just as well as someone with a 160 but once you fall below 140 its tough to argue that its just the test that is problematic.

If it's what you want to do and nothing else, keep preparing and studying and it should go up. Otherwise, just go into politics and influence society that way. Our president is proof that it doesnt take much to be a successful politician.

I am extremely frustrated.  I completely BOMBED the LSAT.  I even paid a ton of cash for that Stupid Kaplan classroom program and it did me NO good.  I feel completely defeated.  So much so, it has affected every other aspect of my life.  How much weight do they put on the LAST score anyway?  I am in the top 8% concerning GPA, I am graduating in the top 5% of my class, and yet I am in the BOTTOM 13% for my LSAT score.  I have GREAT letters of recommendation and I have diversity coming out of my A$$. 
Is there hope for me?
 Thought of taking that test again is horrifying.  I  LOVE the law.  For me it is not about the money or all of the personal bennies that go with it.  It is about learning and knowing the law.  It is about ensuring everyone has a fair chance at life.  It is about giving people a chance and not letting the "Haves" take advantage of the "Have Notís".  Law is confusing and the legal system seems to be built inside a in-penetrateable barrier.  Only those with the secret password can enter.  Only those with the money can buy those who are allowed to enter.

rsieg10

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2007, 01:24:47 PM »
I went through the cycle last year and was in the same boat--terribly low LSAT, high GPA from a top 10 public University.  I thought I was totally screwed because of my LSAT and the fact that I'm not a minority...and I was.  A lot of schools I applied to bluntly told me they had an LSAT cut-off, where the applicant must have at least a certain score.  I think most schools had this, but didn't outwardly say so.  But anyway, I applied to over 30 schools and got into a couple T4 schools that were garbage.  Luckily, I got some of those "summer conditional program" offers and accepted the one at Saint Louis University.  I just finished the program and should find out the result next week, but I feel confident about it.  Anyway, my point is that you should retake the LSAT.  No matter what.  Study your ass off and retake the September/October one.  Unless you're content with a T4 school, it's your only choice.

ęěĽ

• Sr. Citizen
  • non sequitur
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2007, 01:35:09 PM »
Retake.

High LSAT low GPA splitters are ok
Low LSAT high GPA splitters are screwed.

Buy prep books, but every single released test, prep, succeed.

Judgie Poo

• Sr. Citizen
  • Nulli Secundus
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2007, 02:09:46 PM »
No.

Just don't go to law school.
Never gonna give you up, never gonna let you down.

m,

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2007, 07:33:58 PM »

seriously?

... :D :D :D
schooled - A Collective Law Student Blog

seananthony

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2007, 03:42:20 PM »
I agree, sometimes the law can seem in-penetrateable.

;D