Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Going NUTS!!  (Read 778 times)

KJGannon17

• View Profile
    • Email
Going NUTS!!
« on: July 12, 2007, 12:22:08 AM »
Hi, I was in school for 2 years doing the general ed. stuff, and when I finished that, I wasn't sure what I wanted to do. I took some time off, figured it out, and now I'm re-enrolled in school, majoring in criminal justice with an aim towards going to law school.

However, I don't start school until late September (9/26 to be exact), and while I am enrolled in the classes I want to take, it is too long before the quarter starts to find out what my textbooks will be. I am really excited about this, and I want to DO something, but I can't figure out what to do! I can't get a head start on my text books, because I don't know what they will be yet. I still have another 2 years of school (and life) before applying to law school(s), so doing in depth preparation for the LSAT or my personal statement is kind of pointless (isn't it? correct me if I'm wrong and should be doing this). So what can I do?

Please give me some advice on something... constructive, i guess... that I can do during this "down" time. Um, by the way, please don't tell me to "just enjoy it", because I have been "taking a break" for a year and a half now, so it's nothing new (yes, I've been working).

Thanks!
Katie

Fallon

• View Profile
Re: Going NUTS!!
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2007, 12:33:20 AM »
Hmm, 2 years to go? Yeah, it's too early to study for the LSAT because you'd run out of questions. Focus on getting the highest grades you can. Get to know your professors over the next couple years to make sure you can get glowing letters of recommendation.  Maybe look into doing a  internship or volunteering with law related.  Also, I don't think it would hurt to start thinking about your personal statement. 
www.personalstatementexchange .com
The Personal Statement Exchange is a new peer editing forum. Join! Post! Edit! Monthly prizes for top users!

KJGannon17

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2007, 01:59:13 PM »
Ya, I am planning on doing all that you said, but my main question for something to do is NOW, not once school starts.  As I said, I have about 2 months to go before school starts, and I want to do something with my time that will help me do better or... I don't know exactly... just something that I can do that ties in to the whole pre-law/law school thing.  Make sense?

Too Old For Law

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2007, 01:05:45 PM »
Read some books - maybe Anna Ivey's book or Montauk's (sp?).  Read some books on logic, philosophy, cooking, writing.  Write a journal, write real letters to people.  Find someplace to volunteer.  Make the world a better place.  Take up a new hobby.  Learn to make stained glass or carve wood. 

Basically, just expand yourself. 

Sam P. Huntington

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2007, 01:13:45 PM »
Hi, I was in school for 2 years doing the general ed. stuff, and when I finished that, I wasn't sure what I wanted to do. I took some time off, figured it out, and now I'm re-enrolled in school, majoring in criminal justice with an aim towards going to law school.

However, I don't start school until late September (9/26 to be exact), and while I am enrolled in the classes I want to take, it is too long before the quarter starts to find out what my textbooks will be. I am really excited about this, and I want to DO something, but I can't figure out what to do! I can't get a head start on my text books, because I don't know what they will be yet. I still have another 2 years of school (and life) before applying to law school(s), so doing in depth preparation for the LSAT or my personal statement is kind of pointless (isn't it? correct me if I'm wrong and should be doing this). So what can I do?

Please give me some advice on something... constructive, i guess... that I can do during this "down" time. Um, by the way, please don't tell me to "just enjoy it", because I have been "taking a break" for a year and a half now, so it's nothing new (yes, I've been working).

Thanks!
Katie

You seem to be assuming that you should take the LSAT as a senior in college. The score is valid for 5 years, so why not study now and take it this coming school year (when you are ready)? It will be nice to have the test out of the way, and if for some reason you are dissatisfied with your score, you will have plenty of time to take it again.

Once the exam is out of the way you'll be able to focus on getting LORs, enjoying your ECs and filling out applications. Taking the exam in the equivalent of your junior year of college (I say equivalent since you are returning to school) is a great way to ensure that you'll be able to focus on other aspects of the application process as a senior while still leaving time for schoolwork and fun.
Boston College Law School Class of 2010