Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Please give me your advice  (Read 4147 times)

DOWNY

Re: Please give me your advice
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2004, 02:08:12 AM »
DOWNY agrees with Desi.

gobears

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2004, 05:01:19 AM »
This will probably get flamed too, but...

Are you (hopefully) pretty young, like around 22 years old?  If so, you could always wait for your LSAT scores to expire.  I think it's like three or maybe five years.  I'm sorry, I know this sounds pretty extreme.  But I'm only saying so because you've already taken it twice and both scores weren't so great.  And if you want to get into a top 20 or so school, that might be the way to do it.  I think you can probably still take the LSAT this year, after totally prepping for it, but wait for your older scores to expire first, and then apply to law school later on down the road.  Okay, that was extreme, but I'm just thinking that's what it's gonna take.  But if you're intent on applying this year, I gotta totally agree with Desi.

dgatl

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2004, 08:40:08 AM »
This will probably get flamed too, but...

Are you (hopefully) pretty young, like around 22 years old?  If so, you could always wait for your LSAT scores to expire.  I think it's like three or maybe five years.  I'm sorry, I know this sounds pretty extreme.  But I'm only saying so because you've already taken it twice and both scores weren't so great.  And if you want to get into a top 20 or so school, that might be the way to do it.  I think you can probably still take the LSAT this year, after totally prepping for it, but wait for your older scores to expire first, and then apply to law school later on down the road.  Okay, that was extreme, but I'm just thinking that's what it's gonna take.  But if you're intent on applying this year, I gotta totally agree with Desi.

I didn't want to say this, i'm glad you did  :)

lakin

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2004, 10:32:49 AM »
Thanks for everyone's advice.  I am pretty young(23) but both of the law schools in my state take the highest LSAT score instead of averaging the scores.

I spoke with LSDAS and they report scores for 5 years but they told me that law schools usually want a score within 2 -3 years. 

I think I am going to go ahead and apply now and either take the Oct. or Feb. test.  I have a work conflict for the December exam. 
In the past I haven't applied until Feb. b/c I was under the impression from my advisor that this allowed me plenty of time.  Since then I have found out differently.

Let me know what you think!!

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2004, 10:36:21 AM »
If you don't retake the lsat at some point, you very probably won't get in *anywhere*  This sounds really harsh, but with the numbers of people applying to law school, you're going to likely be facing a pile of rejection letters this year.

I agree with gobears and perhaps working for a few years, gaining WE, and distancing yourself a bit from any problems in undergrad.  you didn't say what your ugpa was, I don't think.  If it's not really strong, maybe try to get into a masters program, just you can show that you are capable of upper level work (even though the gpa doesn't count really for ls)

Once one of your scores expires, try the lsat again.  If you score at least 10 pts above the 138 you'll have left, there's quite a few schools that take the higher score.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2004, 10:41:33 AM »
If you retake this year, and go ahead with applying, you should be 99% sure you will do at least 10 points better than the 141.  Taking the lsat 3 times, and doing poorly on each one will prevent you from getting into law school for the next 4 or 5 years (until several of those scores expire).

I'm not trying to be a pessimist here, taking the october exam in the next week or so without proper prep won't do you any good, based on your past lsat performance.

Taking the february exam isn't any help for you either, since it makes no difference when you send in your app.  Even if they hold onto your file until they receive your new lsat score, it won't be considered until late february.  Which again puts you at the end of the app cycle with numbers that most likely won't be very competitive.

I really advise waiting and applying next year.  If you don't want to wait for a score to expire, then you should be fine with the feb test for next year's admission cycle, or probably even better for the june test, where you'll have more than enough time to work on the sections and take prep tests.

lakin

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2004, 11:49:48 AM »
I am already in the MBA program.  I began in Spring 04.  What about applying now with my score of 145 & Grad school experience and then retaking the LSAT in June if I still do not have any luck?

At my school my GPA is ranked above average for my degree and I have done well in Grad. school. 

Do you think that it matters when your app is received?  I am asking b/c in the past I applied in February?  Do you think applying any earlier would help?  Or do you think I would still be rejected b/c of my low LSAT score? 

I know I am capable of doing better if I can just concentrate and get over my anxiety!!  But that is easier typed than done!

M2

« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2004, 12:52:20 PM »
Unfortunately is it well known that GPAs are inflated in grad school.
Undergread matters much more.

i second everyone elses opinion about waiting say 3 years...and getting some work experience.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2004, 01:22:42 PM »
Generally, when you apply absolutely makes a difference.  A HUGE difference.  The later you apply, the more spots that have been filled already, adn the better your number will have to be to get a seat.

Unfortuntately though, I dont' think it would matter when you applied with an lsat average of 141.  It's well below the average of 150/151, and there are hundreds or thousands of apps with much better numbers that don't make it into a spot at any schools.

It can't hurt to send out apps now if you have the money, but I don't know how much you can expect from it.  I still advocate letting one or both of those scores expire.  They are a huge blemish on your app.

lakin

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2004, 01:30:26 PM »
Even though my average is 141.  The 2 schools I want to go to use the highest score.  This would be 145.  That is closer to 150/151.