Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 2 HUGE HARRY POTTER WEEKS IN A ROW!!!!!!!!!!!!!  (Read 4231 times)

laur0212

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3L, yay!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Laur0212
    • View Profile
Re: 2 HUGE HARRY POTTER WEEKS IN A ROW!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2007, 10:10:32 AM »
I just think it's a sad testament to American society when kids that are still reading childrens' books have children old enough to read the same.

You obviously haven't read the books, but if you did I think you'd find that the first few books are written like children's books, but at this point they are definitely not written that way.  And its not just American society, adults all over the world read the books.  I think its unwise to pass judgment on something you don't actually know anything about.

BearlyLegal

• LSD Obsessed
  • And the greatest threat to America is... Bears!!!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Newjoetm
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2007, 10:32:18 AM »
I just think it's a sad testament to American society when kids that are still reading childrens' books have children old enough to read the same.

You obviously haven't read the books, but if you did I think you'd find that the first few books are written like children's books, but at this point they are definitely not written that way.  And its not just American society, adults all over the world read the books.  I think its unwise to pass judgment on something you don't actually know anything about.

Although, this paragon of maturity goes by the name of "Judgie Poo". He is judgmental by nature.

laur0212

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3L, yay!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Laur0212
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2007, 10:46:13 AM »

Although, this paragon of maturity goes by the name of "Judgie Poo". He is judgmental by nature.

Haha, I was so busy being indignant that I didn't even notice that.  Nice catch, lol.

Ulfrekr

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2007, 10:53:10 AM »
I've seen the 5th movie twice now, and I thought it was definitely the best of the series. I did notice some of the omissions, but it's not like this is the first movie where they've made some major changes. I thought most of what they changed made narrative sense, and didn't detract from the movie just because it wasn't exactly the same as the book. I definitely think it helps to not read the book for at least a few months before the movie comes out, not so that your standards are lowered, but so you can judge the movie on its own terms.

I thought the acting in this one was the best so far as well. Each of the kids still has awkward moments, but they are really starting to grow into the characters and make them their own. But this movie had two great standout performances. Imelda Staunton as Umbridge was one of the best movie villains I've ever seen- she was like a fluffy pink cobra. And the girl who played Luna Lovegood stole every scene she was in. This was also the first film in which I've particularly liked Michael Gambon as Dumbledore, and I'm even more excited to see Alan Rickman get to cut loose a bit more in the next film, when Snape will ahve a lot more to do.

So basically, I liked it.

And BTW...I get that these are essentially kids' books (although some of that perception is due to marketing), but I feel sorry for anyone who assumes they can't or shouldn't enjoy something simply because of prejudice against the source. Also, the first book came out ten years ago, so many of us adults who enjoy them now were kids when we started reading the series. Are we all supposed to stop enjoying them just because we entered some arbitrary age  of maturity?
Michigan 2011 baby!

LSN

fuwaf

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2007, 07:49:07 PM »
I've seen the 5th movie twice now, and I thought it was definitely the best of the series. I did notice some of the omissions, but it's not like this is the first movie where they've made some major changes. I thought most of what they changed made narrative sense, and didn't detract from the movie just because it wasn't exactly the same as the book. I definitely think it helps to not read the book for at least a few months before the movie comes out, not so that your standards are lowered, but so you can judge the movie on its own terms.

I thought the acting in this one was the best so far as well. Each of the kids still has awkward moments, but they are really starting to grow into the characters and make them their own. But this movie had two great standout performances. Imelda Staunton as Umbridge was one of the best movie villains I've ever seen- she was like a fluffy pink cobra. And the girl who played Luna Lovegood stole every scene she was in. This was also the first film in which I've particularly liked Michael Gambon as Dumbledore, and I'm even more excited to see Alan Rickman get to cut loose a bit more in the next film, when Snape will ahve a lot more to do.

So basically, I liked it.

And BTW...I get that these are essentially kids' books (although some of that perception is due to marketing), but I feel sorry for anyone who assumes they can't or shouldn't enjoy something simply because of prejudice against the source. Also, the first book came out ten years ago, so many of us adults who enjoy them now were kids when we started reading the series. Are we all supposed to stop enjoying them just because we entered some arbitrary age  of maturity?

I agree with pretty much everything you said about the movie.  I thought they did an awesome job of condensing the book into a movie.

I also agree that we can still enjoy the books that are supposedly meant for kids.  I have friends who refuse to read Harry Potter but see no problem watching the movies... or watching other "kid" movies like Finding Nemo and even Disney stuff.  Uh, if it's a kid's book, that means it's a kid's movie...

S.A.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 17, 2007, 09:51:11 AM »
OK wow all I have to say is it should be a crime to see that movie in anything other than Imax 3D.

TwinkyBean

• Sr. Citizen
  • It's Yellow.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - TwinkyBean
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 17, 2007, 11:09:10 AM »
OK wow all I have to say is it should be a crime to see that movie in anything other than Imax 3D.

The IMAX here is a big rip off! ... They aren't showing it. Only dolphins and dinosaurs... Boo :(
Waiting... :(

S.A.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 17, 2007, 11:41:51 AM »
That sucks :(

I would have paid $14 to only see the part that was in 3D :P

UFBoldAsLove

• Sr. Citizen
  • Go Gators.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 17, 2007, 12:20:23 PM »
I liked it!

I think they did an amazing job with casting - Umbridge, Luna, and Bellatrix were PERFECT.

My best friend and I are going to get the 7th book at midnight.  ;)
Vandy 1L... really?