Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Final Decision: Tulane v Rutgers-N v Not going at all.  (Read 4359 times)

internetuser

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Final Decision: Tulane v Rutgers-N v Not going at all.
« on: July 11, 2007, 09:08:17 AM »
It's come down to these choices. I am honestly leaning towards not going at all. 150K in debt at Tulane. 100K at Rutgers. All with middling job opportunities, it seems.

I have to pay this money back, and I am not the sort to think I am going to make law review.

What would you do? Are these schools worth the money?

legaldad

• View Profile
Re: Final Decision: Tulane v Rutgers-N v Not going at all.
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2007, 09:53:45 AM »
You are definitely wise to factor in the debt as a major part of your decision process, but if being a lawyer has been a strong to burning desire in your life, then GO!  You have two very good law schools to pick from. Rattle the cages of both the Tulane and Rutgers Career Centers and get more-in-depth facts and figures about the placement of their graduates.  Also, ask for names of recent alumni in the locations you would like to practice in (especially those with middle-of-the-road jobs) and talk to them.  If you are still looking at law as a career, you've come this far with two very good choices.  Go!

ě

• Sr. Citizen
  • non sequitur
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2007, 11:32:00 AM »
So, we have firm evidence of the power of these trolls repeatedly spamming tempattorney's blog. A sad day for these forums indeed.

botbot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2007, 12:11:43 PM »
It's come down to these choices. I am honestly leaning towards not going at all. 150K in debt at Tulane. 100K at Rutgers. All with middling job opportunities, it seems.

I have to pay this money back, and I am not the sort to think I am going to make law review.

What would you do? Are these schools worth the money?

Where do you want to work?  What do you want to do?

Tulane has a few programs that are among the best in the nation.  Top third will have legitimate BIGLAW market chances.  The degree travels pretty well in the south/NYC.

Rutgers does well in New Jersey and I know some grads get NYC BIGLAW.

The median graduate from these schools does not starve.

internetuser

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2007, 02:03:51 AM »
1. Legal dad and Botbot, thanks for your thoughtful responses. I am going to prob. going to try to have a heart to hear with the career services offices of these schools the next few days.

2. e. please stay out of any thread i've started. tyia.

stateofbeasley

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • The State of Beasley blog
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2007, 06:17:53 AM »
I would wait a year and try to get either scholarship $ or in-state tuition.  Tulane is a good school but I'm not confident that it is worth $150k.  Rutgers-N I usually recommend only for NJ residents because of the reduced cost.

If you go to a lower ranked school, you will need to market yourself very heavily to get a job.  If you're the entrepreneurial type and very outgoing, I think you would be ok at either school.  You might not get the job you want, but you'll be able to find something. 

Make absolutely sure you want to be a lawyer if you choose to go.  Talk to as many people as you can, including those who made it big and those who left the profession.  And be wary of career services.  Really ask the hard questions about placement for those who aren't at the top of the class.

ě

• Sr. Citizen
  • non sequitur
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2007, 08:40:04 AM »
1. Legal dad and Botbot, thanks for your thoughtful responses. I am going to prob. going to try to have a heart to hear with the career services offices of these schools the next few days.

I would love to, but please allow me to read them to keep up to date on how you @#!* your own life over by listening to the opinions of shitforbrains 0Ls who only relay information from whiny, loserblogs.

thewanderer01

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2007, 12:56:14 PM »
I would wait a year and try to get either scholarship $ or in-state tuition.  Tulane is a good school but I'm not confident that it is worth $150k.  Rutgers-N I usually recommend only for NJ residents because of the reduced cost.

If you go to a lower ranked school, you will need to market yourself very heavily to get a job.  If you're the entrepreneurial type and very outgoing, I think you would be ok at either school.  You might not get the job you want, but you'll be able to find something. 

Make absolutely sure you want to be a lawyer if you choose to go.  Talk to as many people as you can, including those who made it big and those who left the profession.  And be wary of career services.  Really ask the hard questions about placement for those who aren't at the top of the class.

If you're willing to sign a 12-month+ lease in NJ before school starts then RU-N will consider you a resident.
Rutgers - Newark Class of 2010

internetuser

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2007, 12:25:31 AM »

I would love to, but please allow me to read them to keep up to date on how you @#!* your own life over by listening to the opinions of shitforbrains 0Ls who only relay information from whiny, loserblogs.

So perhaps you could give your opinion on the question posed instead of bashing prestige trolls?

Lindbergh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2007, 12:32:12 AM »
Rutgers is a fine school that most people would/should feel happy with. 

However, it doesn't appear that you really have a passion for the law.  If that's the case, there's really no reason to go at all.