Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Michael Moore: Yay or Nay  (Read 3393 times)

TheDecline

Michael Moore: Yay or Nay
« on: September 21, 2004, 09:39:26 AM »
Michael Moore is coming to speak at our school and I just wanted to get yalls opinion on the guy.

Personally, I am not a big fan.  I haven't see his latest movie, but I did see Bowling for Columbine.  It was an interesting movie and he is good at what he does, but I disagree with him on so many topics.  Just for example, it seems like he made K-mart the villain in Bowling for Columbine because they sold bullets, while the accountability of the two kids that acually did it, as well as their parents, was never really discussed.

So...what do you guys think about Michael Moore?

superiorlobe

Re: Michael Moore: Yay or Nay
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2004, 10:00:46 AM »
Good point about Moore and K-Mart.  He also made himself look like an a-hole when he was harassing Charlton Heston.  And his whole pestering of male private part Clark was completely ridiculous.  I'm a little surprised that people take him as seriously as they do.

He is popular because he is outrageous, not because he conducts intelligent discourse.

TheDecline

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2004, 10:09:13 AM »
Good point about Moore and K-Mart. He also made himself look like an a-hole when he was harassing Charlton Heston. And his whole pestering of male private part Clark was completely ridiculous. I'm a little surprised that people take him as seriously as they do.

He is popular because he is outrageous, not because he conducts intelligent discourse.

Yeah, he seems like he enjoys pestering old men.  He loves asking loaded questions that are impossible to answer.  I'm suprised Heston didn't show him what the NRA is all about after that episode   ;D

newy

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2004, 10:14:34 AM »
I just watched Roger and Me for the first time last night (its about the closing of a GM factory in Flint, Mich and the layoffs of 30k workers).  Moore does a really compelling job of presenting his side of things, very clever editing, lots of witty irony, etc.  As a film I really enjoyed it.  As a social commentary, I feel that he does a great job pointing out problems in society for which there are no easy solutions (same w/Bowling for Columbine).  Nor does he propose a solution, except maybe a weak implication that GM should be obligated to provide for their factory workers for some period of time beyond that of their employment for the company.  I think this lack of proposed solution really takes away from the effectiveness of Moore's film.

TheDecline

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2004, 10:24:46 AM »
I just watched Roger and Me for the first time last night (its about the closing of a GM factory in Flint, Mich and the layoffs of 30k workers). Moore does a really compelling job of presenting his side of things, very clever editing, lots of witty irony, etc. As a film I really enjoyed it. As a social commentary, I feel that he does a great job pointing out problems in society for which there are no easy solutions (same w/Bowling for Columbine). Nor does he propose a solution, except maybe a weak implication that GM should be obligated to provide for their factory workers for some period of time beyond that of their employment for the company. I think this lack of proposed solution really takes away from the effectiveness of Moore's film.

I think that your last sentence is a perfect statement of why I am not very fond of him.  He nevers seems to pose rational solutions to very difficult issues, he just appeals to emotion.

vmersich

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2004, 10:31:13 AM »
Kmart looked more heroic than villainous in BforC. 

Of course he's outrageous.  Do people in America listen to anything else anymore?  If there were intelligent public discourse in America, Moore wouldn't be around.  I am not trying defend him exactly. But I think if you pay attention to his movies/shows etc., you see he always makes poverty the bad guy.  And what makes drastic economic inequality possible?  This point has to be made subtly, because otherwise he would 1)look like a 'commie' and 2)be called a hypocrite for making money.  That wouldn't be very helpful, of course.  He wants to come across as an average joe who just happens to pay attention to government a little more.

You're right about claiming that Moore doesn't conduct intellgent discourse.  Would anyone listen if he did/could?  How popular do you think his movies would be if he started discussing grounds for public justification and criticising idealogical views of human nature? 

thechoson

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2004, 11:50:10 AM »
Nay

Tobias Beecher

• Sr. Citizen
    • MSN Messenger - roger_76@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2004, 12:42:26 PM »
yay

M2

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2004, 12:45:18 PM »
yay

TDPookie1

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • the sugar cane is back!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - PookieEsq2B
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2004, 12:47:22 PM »
Yay.  I can't criticize him for not presenting a solution.  I don't think the point is for him to say, "...and this is how we should fix it."  I think the point is for him to make the public aware of a problem and get THEM talking about solutions and persuading the gov't to do something about it.
i am officially the biggest nerd of LSD!  ::gleaming with pride, as i shine my yoda trophy::

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=TDPookie1

accepted at yale.  how the hell did i pull this one off?