Law School Discussion

Reading out loud phobia

Judgie Poo

• Nulli Secundus
    • View Profile
Re: Reading out loud phobia
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2007, 01:46:11 AM »
just talk to your instructor before your next class if it causes you real distress. there's no need to suffer from anxiety attacks for the sake of your lsat score.

Sure there are.  It determines if you end up working for 14.95 as a contract temp attorney or not.

There's no reason to have an attack over something that won't help your score, however.

LizPendens™

• The Real Alice -- Adventures in Wonderland
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2007, 01:48:18 AM »
It determines if you end up working for 14.95 as a contract temp attorney or not.

::)

Judgie Poo

• Nulli Secundus
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2007, 02:01:55 AM »
It determines if you end up working for 14.95 as a contract temp attorney or not.

::)

http://temporaryattorney.blogspot.com/

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2007, 12:36:25 PM »
OFFMason, how do you expect to function as a lawyer if you can't read aloud, though? Just hope you'll be assigned paperwork for your entire career?

« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2007, 12:41:14 PM »
SergioCQH, lawyers have to read from their notes instead of sounding personable all the time? I didn't know that.

I've read from notes quite a few times, I've read long speeches. The thing is, for a speech... you can prepare and almost predict a good performance with substantial practice.

Don't give me that "well lawyers do that, so good luck" bit.

I don't really prepare to read these questions aloud so I'm overly nervous.

Not only am I nervous, but he also asks me information from what I've just read aloud! That is impossible for me.

« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2007, 12:58:20 PM »
Hey, plenty of lawyers just do a lot of paperwork. If you ever want to do any trial or appellate work though, reading aloud material you did not prepare is a big part of it. Even a brief you've written is far too long to simply memorize through practice, and in appellate work, you'll definitely be asked questions about the material you present.

« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2007, 01:27:35 PM »
I am unable to answer questions about something I've just read aloud if I've never seen it before. Reading aloud makes my brain empty. Very weird, but I can read silently fast enough to stall before answering.