Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: NAACP Burying the "N" Word  (Read 1303 times)

Sparkz1920

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
NAACP Burying the "N" Word
« on: July 10, 2007, 08:26:43 PM »
ARTICLE FOR THE MORE LITERATE;

NAACP Buries The 'N' Word During Detroit Funeral
Published: Monday - July 9, 2007
Words by Allen Starbury

There was a funeral held in the streets of Detroit Monday morning (July 9), but no one died. A pine casket, pulled through the streets by a horse and carriage, but there was no body inside. It was a symbolic funeral -- for the "N" word.

According to reports from the Detroit Free Press, thousands were gathered at Detroit's Hart Plaza to bare witness to the mock funeral, which they hold will end the use of the derogatory word by everyone.

The funeral, which was held by NAACP (National Association for the Advancement of Colored People), was a part of a national convention being held in downtown Detroit this week and was attended by Michigan Governor Jennifer Granholm, Detroit Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick and NAACP Chairman Julian Bond.

"Good riddance to this vestige of slavery and racism, and say hello to a new country that invests in all its people," said Granholm, who also said she was proud the event took place in her state.

During the service, Mayor Kilpatrick urged black men to take a stand and stop disrespecting themselves and black women. "You can't just bury the 'N' word. You have to bury all the nonsense that comes with it," Kilpatrick said, according to the Detroit Free Press. "Good riddance. Die 'N' word. We don't want to see you around here no more."

NAACP's burial of the "N" word comes after public discussion began after "Seinfeld" actor Michael Richards used the word repeatedly out of anger while on stage at Los Angeles' Comedy Store last year, and more recently Don Imus' derogatory use of the words "nappy headed hoes" to describe black members of Rutger's women's basketball team.

The two incidents have sparked public debate within the black community, the America public and among important black figures such as Al Sharpton, Russell Simmons and Jesse Jackson.

NAACP's Chairman Julian Bond repeated the Imus call during the opening address Sunday night (July 8) for the 98th annual convention, saying that if Imus can't call "our women as 'hos,' then we shouldn't either."

The paper reports that hip-hop legend Kurtis Blow, R&B singer Eddie Levert, Daryl Matthews (general president of Alpha Phi Alpha fraternity), and Olrick Johnson Jr., a former NFL player, served as honorary pallbearers at the funeral.

What are your thoughts on the issue

FrankWhite

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: NAACP Burying the "N" Word
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2007, 10:16:55 AM »
Womp womp focus on more important stuff. Don't nobody care about them burying the N word.
Emory Law Class of 2010

TruOne

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm still standing. . .I'm still here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2007, 11:34:51 AM »
I'm a believer that you can kill n-word, but you can't kill n-word!
Warning: Educated Black Man

University of Law '09

Stand under my Umbrella ella ella, aye!!

• Sr. Citizen
  • Exhibiting the discipline necessary for Law School
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2007, 07:07:42 PM »
lol
The Tragicomic: Itís embodied in the blues, jazz, (HIP HOP, CORNELL <<one slight deserves another!!!!<< REALLY MISSED THE BOAT ON THAT ONE!!!) and the African experience in the New World -- the ability to withstand terrorism, embrace oneís worst enemies lovingly and bear the unbearable in song.

cui bono?

• Sr. Citizen
  • blah bliggetty blah
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2007, 05:29:41 PM »
This is pretty interesting.  But u know what really bugs me?  The Don Imus thing led to a discussion 'bout hip hop and how they use those words in songs/poor portrayal, etc. etc.  Even on Oprah!  I'm like  ::)  To take a line from the Chappelle show--> Don Imus "...can't rap".  Had nothing to do with rap, the hip hop culture, if "we" use the word or not.  He's just an idiot and would've used those words regardless.     
I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality...  I believe that unarmed truth and unconditional love will have the final word - -Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King

cui bono?

• Sr. Citizen
  • blah bliggetty blah
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2007, 05:41:23 PM »
Me 2.  But what can you do.  I dont like him because historically he wasn't exactly the next in line and he seems to jump on every cause whether it's worthy or not. 
I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality...  I believe that unarmed truth and unconditional love will have the final word - -Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King

! B L U E WAR R I O R..!

• LSD Obsessed
  • "make a friend who was once a stranger" br.war.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2007, 06:17:37 AM »
aye think its a vampire word...stake no claims in it.
If you prick us, do we not bleed?  
  if you tickle us, do we not laugh? if you poison  
  us, do we not die? and if you wrong us, shall we not  
  revenge? m.of v. w.shaka                                             speare

cui bono?

• Sr. Citizen
  • blah bliggetty blah
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2007, 12:54:48 PM »
Me 2.  But what can you do.  I dont like him because historically he wasn't exactly the next in line and he seems to jump on every cause whether it's worthy or not.

Yeah, I would say he hurts his cause more than he helps it.

Definitely.  And I think he does it to propel himself forward as oppossed to the issue.     

jarhead

• Sr. Citizen
  • "i keeps it reeaal!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2007, 07:00:06 PM »
i caught that oprah special with russel and kevin lyles on the rerun. i go back and forth on the whole n word/derogatory language thing because i see both sides of the issue. i understand what the young ladies were saying about how they feel disrespected and men don't ask to see your college ID before they call you a b-itch etc. but at the end of the day i just kept thinking "man raise your kids!!" stop expecting everybody else to do it for you..."so what some ignorant dude calls you a female dog or a ho, does what he says define you? does that make it so? no! give him the deuces and keep it moving...he ain't the one for you. so what somebody uses the n word, or calls somebody a b on a record or whatever how does that stop you from doing what you gotta do. i understand the history of the n word, i do but it's just a word use it don't use it..bury it whatever we'll just find another derogatory word to call each other. for the record i substitute the n word for other things whenever possible but sometimes when i see some of us doing n-wordish things i gotta admit it's sometimes all i can do not to say it. i'm thinking we're giving the word too much power and that there are other issues that the NAACP could be tackling that would change the conditions that spawned it in the first place.
...man, you was who you was before you got here

Sparkz1920

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2007, 11:02:48 PM »
i caught that oprah special with russel and kevin lyles on the rerun. i go back and forth on the whole n word/derogatory language thing because i see both sides of the issue. i understand what the young ladies were saying about how they feel disrespected and men don't ask to see your college ID before they call you a b-itch etc. but at the end of the day i just kept thinking "man raise your kids!!" stop expecting everybody else to do it for you..."so what some ignorant dude calls you a female dog or a ho, does what he says define you? does that make it so? no! give him the deuces and keep it moving...he ain't the one for you. so what somebody uses the n word, or calls somebody a b on a record or whatever how does that stop you from doing what you gotta do. i understand the history of the n word, i do but it's just a word use it don't use it..bury it whatever we'll just find another derogatory word to call each other. for the record i substitute the n word for other things whenever possible but sometimes when i see some of us doing n-wordish things i gotta admit it's sometimes all i can do not to say it. i'm thinking we're giving the word too much power and that there are other issues that the NAACP could be tackling that would change the conditions that spawned it in the first place.
[/b]

Thats what i have been thinking

So many other issues in the nation right now, and the focus is on this. Some people are seriously saying the NAACP has lost its reason for existence