Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: John Marshall ATL vs. Faulkner U.- Jones School of Law  (Read 2664 times)

cui bono?

• Sr. Citizen
  • blah bliggetty blah
    • View Profile
Re: John Marshall ATL vs. Faulkner U.- Jones School of Law
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2007, 12:52:36 PM »
    Yeah def check out the article.  The other thing I should add is that the suits have not been successful thus far.  But sweetie, I think you are def in good shape!   :) 
    Transferring?  Hmm.  Here's the thing-  I know a lot of ppl that WANTED to transfer.  They couldn't because of grades and...  in some cases the school would not let them!  The school wanted to keep the person in so they wouldn't give the student the necessary documents to transfer  :o.  Top of the class!

EDIT: in my case, the grades the first semester were not so great. 
I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality...  I believe that unarmed truth and unconditional love will have the final word - -Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King

law_dawg_07

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2007, 07:15:01 PM »
Anything worth having is worth doing...

UG GPA and your LSAT counts a great deal.  If you are not willing to re-take the LSAT to get a better score, then I would suggest startting school in this fall.   I am not sure of the ranking of the school but if the schools are like T3 and T4...then it really is no big difference as to where you go.  Go with the place that is more respected in the surrounding area so you can have good job prospects...

I would love to retake the last again, but i don't know how smart it is to take the thing 3 and 4 times either.

Just accept that fact that I am better than you.

ohstacey

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2007, 07:30:49 PM »
Anything worth having is worth doing...

I would love to retake the last again, but i don't know how smart it is to take the thing 3 and 4 times either.

[/quote]
[/quote]

I agree.  I was worried about looking crazy with multiple LSAT's but I guess I wouldn't have too much to lose...at the end of the day, the schools can report the highest score, so I suppose it can only help...I'll be crazy with a higher score I guess.

I withdrew from Jones, and the dean emailed me saying he will check to see about increasing my offer on Monday...I don't think it will change my mind at this point.

Again, I appreciate the advice. :)
Here we go again!
Yes:
No: Jones
WL: Mercer
Pending: GSU,UGA,Bama,Samford

philibusters

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2007, 09:33:29 PM »
I think John Marshall has improved over the last 10 years.  Somewhere I read an article on that, but its an independent for profit school right?  So literally whoever owns the school will make a difference, if they are dedicated to the school then it will work continue to improve, if not, then the school will decline.  I think there are is more stability at public and private schools that are non-profit (the vast majority of law schools).  I know John Marshall is partially accredited, which means you could sit for the bar, end of question.

Hmm, I had never heard of Jones before, but I just checked out the website it too is provisionally accredited meaning you could sit for the bar no questions asked.  Its LSAT numbers were slightly higher 147-152 then I anticipated-it doesn't seem like a bad school, it just won't open any doors for you career wise.

Really you are not in that bad of a position, you got into two ABA approved (even if not yet fully) and one is offering decent money.  I think it doesn't hurt to wait another year and try again because you can probably get into these schools again and you if they asked you could say you wanted to complete your masters first.  On the other hand, you would have to go into either one of these realizing, that you are there mostly for the degree, a few top students might get excellent jobs, but those will be few and far between, your goal should be to learn as many practical skills as possible that will make you marketable in the long run.  Probably means doing any clinics the school has or working dirt cheap at a law firm to gain experience.

I think you probably made the right choice.
2008 graduate of William and Mary Law School

cui bono?

• Sr. Citizen
  • blah bliggetty blah
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2007, 09:10:10 AM »
Good, I'm glad you reached a decision.   :)  You are def in good shape  :) :-*
I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality...  I believe that unarmed truth and unconditional love will have the final word - -Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King

ohstacey

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2007, 11:27:32 PM »

Thanks. I am the most impatient person in the world, so this is hard. I plan on keeping myself busy this year, so I'm sure the time will fly.  I may apply to some Florida schools (preferably in the Miami area, I have family down there).  Do you know anything about FIU? I'm also thinking about UMiami as a reach, haha! :)
Here we go again!
Yes:
No: Jones
WL: Mercer
Pending: GSU,UGA,Bama,Samford

cui bono?

• Sr. Citizen
  • blah bliggetty blah
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2007, 10:20:28 AM »

Thanks. I am the most impatient person in the world, so this is hard. I plan on keeping myself busy this year, so I'm sure the time will fly.  I may apply to some Florida schools (preferably in the Miami area, I have family down there).  Do you know anything about FIU? I'm also thinking about UMiami as a reach, haha! :)

I'd love to see you down this way.  Come on down!  Although I'm a bonafide 'CANE, UM would be a reach financially speaking!  FIU is cool-  recently accredited.  Be much cheaper than the surrounding schools.  Because it is public as oppossed to private.  And as soon as you can establish FL residency- much cheaper.