Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: John Marshall ATL vs. Faulkner U.- Jones School of Law  (Read 2585 times)

ohstacey

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
John Marshall ATL vs. Faulkner U.- Jones School of Law
« on: July 10, 2007, 07:38:52 PM »
Hey guys,

Posting my question here to see if I can get some thoughtful suggestions.  Thanks.

http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/prelaw/index.php/topic,90803.msg2335363/boardseen.html#new
Here we go again!
Yes:
No: Jones
WL: Mercer
Pending: GSU,UGA,Bama,Samford

cui bono?

• Sr. Citizen
  • blah bliggetty blah
    • View Profile
Re: John Marshall ATL vs. Faulkner U.- Jones School of Law
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2007, 08:00:23 PM »
Well, I've said this elsewhere so forgive me for sounding like a broken record  but I'd rather you go to a higher ranked school.  Lower tier schools have more of a higher standard when it comes to the curve-  rising to 2L.  Sounds counter intuitive, I know.  So that person's advice about Emory on the thread wasn't so terrible.  If for whatever reason, you dont have that option, then by all means "get in where u fit in"      But ironically, I think you'll have an easier experience at a higher ranked school.  Just my .02, take it for what it's worth.   :)
I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality...  I believe that unarmed truth and unconditional love will have the final word - -Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King

ohstacey

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2007, 08:14:14 PM »
Thanks, I appreciate your input. 

I'm really giving this some thought, and trying not to be shortsighted about it.  I've taken the LSAT more times than I care to mention....  I wanted to apply in 05, but waited so that I could put more time and effort into my applications, so I applied this year. 

Realistically, my numbers had a lot to do with my rejections, and I feel like if I re-apply I will be wasting another year of my life, especially since the law schools I want to attend are numbers driven.  They just are. I'm not mad at them, just realistic.  My UGPA will not change and taking the LSAT 4 times would just be ridiculous.

I think waiting is a good idea in theory, but I just want to get on with it already. If I was younger and single, sure I'd wait.

So, will a Master's Degree and a new-and-improved PS tip the scales that much if I re-applied??  I don't think so. Any experiences/opinions about that??  The schools I would 'target' are GSU and Mercer, most likely.  Maybe Emory too.
Here we go again!
Yes:

cui bono?

• Sr. Citizen
  • blah bliggetty blah
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2007, 01:59:03 PM »
Thanks, I appreciate your input. 

I'm really giving this some thought, and trying not to be shortsighted about it.  I've taken the LSAT more times than I care to mention....  I wanted to apply in 05, but waited so that I could put more time and effort into my applications, so I applied this year. 

Realistically, my numbers had a lot to do with my rejections, and I feel like if I re-apply I will be wasting another year of my life, especially since the law schools I want to attend are numbers driven.  They just are. I'm not mad at them, just realistic.  My UGPA will not change and taking the LSAT 4 times would just be ridiculous.

I think waiting is a good idea in theory, but I just want to get on with it already. If I was younger and single, sure I'd wait.

So, will a Master's Degree and a new-and-improved PS tip the scales that much if I re-applied??  I don't think so. Any experiences/opinions about that??  The schools I would 'target' are GSU and Mercer, most likely.  Maybe Emory too.

Any extra degrees help.  But i feel u on the not wanting to wait thing.  But it may be in your best interests.  I jumped the gun and went to a crappy school.  A lotta folks now seem to be going the paralegal route  during their waiting period.  I wish I woulda done that particularly since a lotta stuff that they cover is covered during the first yr.   
I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality...  I believe that unarmed truth and unconditional love will have the final word - -Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King

ohstacey

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2007, 06:30:08 PM »
Wow, really?  What school did u go to? Not to rub it in or anything, you could PM me if you want, just curious.

Well I visited Jones today, and it's a nice school, but I'm not jumping up and down about it or anything.  I want to be excited, but I'm more anxious about it and that's not good. 

The more I think about it, in my heart, I know I ahould wait.  Finish my Master's and reapply with my 151, which is a huge improvement from the first time around.  I even have ideas for a more awesome PS. 

I don't know, maybe I'll feel differently tomorrow. But when I got my acceptances (after EIGHT months of waiting), I wasn't as thrilled as I thought I would be... ugh. This is hard for me because I want to go to law school sooo bad.  I have the chance to go now, but it's not feeling right. :-\

Here we go again!
Yes:

cui bono?

• Sr. Citizen
  • blah bliggetty blah
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2007, 05:17:27 PM »
eh, rather not say.  I'm in Miami.  Part of me wants to save you and be like -  "no, I think you should wait."  But I totally get the feeling that you gotta go now.  Lower tiered schools make it harder to become a 2L.  And you're doing the same work being done at the top schools! The standard is higher because they want to improve their rankings/worried about their bar passage rates. But of course they want $$ so they bring in more ppl initially only to kick them out after their 1L year.  Some schools will kick out a certain percentage- every year.    There's an article in the National Jurist-  march edition.  They have a website and you can read it online.  It names a few schools that have been sued because of this type of thing.  LS is hard enuf without the thought of "being kicked out" looming over your head. Just research your school's policy on it.    Look at the school's handbook, the one from the past year should be online.   

ohstacey

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2007, 06:25:47 PM »
Yeah, JM may be that way I think.  Jones is not too bad though.  Their curve is like this:

A's- 10-15%
B's- 40%
C's- 40%
Other low grades- 5-10%

So that seems OK to me, considering.  Also, I got my scholarship offer in the mail from Jones today which tempts me to go even more. It's a 50% scholarship, so I'd only pay 11k per year for tuition.  I can keep the scholarship as long as I maintain a 2.5 cumulative GPA. Definitely doable I think. 

But I don't know.  I keep going back and forth.  The scholarship offer is sort of an ego boost considering my UGPA and LSAT, haha...but maybe just the boost I need to turn out better apps than I did last year.  I'll have my Master's in May 08 if I decide to continue with it, and who knows what my chances would be with an improved score of 151 and a Master's Degree (MPA).  Plus, I'm sure I will get a careful review of my app this time, since I think I'm going to just reapply to all the schools in Georgia again.  Adcoms are bound to do a double take when they see I have the audacity to apply to their school again, lol!!

Did you ever try to transfer out of your school?  If not, do you know of any of your classmates that did?  It's hard enough getting admitted to ls as a beginning student, I can only imagine how difficult it must be for transfers if not at the top 5-10%.
Here we go again!
Yes:

ohstacey

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2007, 06:29:45 PM »
oh, and I will also check out that article. thanks!
Here we go again!
Yes:

law_dawg_07

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2007, 07:28:43 PM »
UG GPA and your LSAT counts a great deal.  If you are not willing to re-take the LSAT to get a better score, then I would suggest startting school in this fall.   I am not sure of the ranking of the school but if the schools are like T3 and T4...then it really is no big difference as to where you go.  Go with the place that is more respected in the surrounding area so you can have good job prospects...
Just accept that fact that I am better than you.

ohstacey

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2007, 07:35:02 PM »
UG GPA and your LSAT counts a great deal.  If you are not willing to re-take the LSAT to get a better score, then I would suggest startting school in this fall.   I am not sure of the ranking of the school but if the schools are like T3 and T4...then it really is no big difference as to where you go.  Go with the place that is more respected in the surrounding area so you can have good job prospects...

I would love to retake the lsat again, but i don't know how smart it is to take the thing 3 and 4 times either.

edited for spelling.
Here we go again!
Yes: