Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 153 3.13, what do you think?  (Read 3886 times)

CCH

• View Profile
Re: 153 3.13, what do you think?
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2007, 08:03:59 PM »
please don't feed the TTTs

don't apply; let serious applicants have a tad bit more breathing room in this crowded closet

It isn't one person's perogative to tell another whether or not they should apply to law school. So goes the saying, "The first shall be last, and the last shall be first..." Keep that in mind.

Don't try to dissuade people from applying just because you're a small fish in a big pond.

Exactly. Read the original post - he didn't ask whether or not he should go to law school.

iamprov

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2007, 02:50:58 PM »
A 153 and a 3.13 should put you in the running for: Albany, CUNY, NY LAW, Quinnipiac, Widener, Suffolk (tho maybe only part-time), NESL, Franklin Pierce, Western New England, U Vermont, U Maine, Roger Williams, and the like.

Are these T14 schools? No.  Do many of them still offer a solid legal education?  Absolutely...Suffolk, Albany, and CUNY (for PI) are excellent within their respective tiers.

You shouldn't judge your ability to succeed in law by the LSAT.  Don't let these assholes tell you different.  I got a 155, and would jump at the chance to go to a T14, but not being able to do so isn't dissuading me, nor should it you.  Also: remember (but don't rely on) the possibility of transferring up.  An intern of mine moved from Southern New England School of Law (un accredited) to American.  Not bad...
Albany Law School Class of 2010

thenodoubter

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2007, 03:24:38 PM »
A 153 and a 3.13 should put you in the running for: Albany, CUNY, NY LAW, Quinnipiac, Widener, Suffolk (tho maybe only part-time), NESL, Franklin Pierce, Western New England, U Vermont, U Maine, Roger Williams, and the like.

FYI University of Vermont does not have a law school. Vermont Law is private and not affiliated.
New Cycle!

Butters Stotch

• Sr. Citizen
  • Well you can all just go to heck.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2007, 04:58:44 PM »
Dont go to law school. Youll thank me

The Rick Astley line in your sig looks stupid now that you changed avatars. 
I don't want to do it if it hurts or if it makes you get all sticky.

pastor of muppets

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2007, 05:07:37 PM »
A lot of people here treat law school like it will be some sort of ticket to the charmed life.  If you go to the Top 14, that might be true--provided that your idea of the charmed life is making six figures, driving a sweet car, having a fantastic trophy wife, and never being able to enjoy any of it because you work 80-90 hours a week in a desperate attempt to claw your way to the top.

Some of us don't aspire to that.  I say if the OP really wants to be a lawyer, even if it doesn't lead to the aforementioned lifestyle for them, then they ought to go for it.  Re-taking the LSAT would still be a good idea because a higher score means more options.  However, despite what most on this board would say, a 153 score does not, in and of itself, doom a person to a lifetime of failure.

stateofbeasley

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • The State of Beasley blog
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2007, 07:56:22 PM »
with a 153 and a 3.13 from univ. of Delaware do I have a shot at both rutgers, seton hall, hofstra, ny law?  How bout applying part time to schools like temple, miami, cardozo, brooklyn.

I graduated from Temple in '06.  A 153/3.13 will in all likelihood not get you admission to Rutgers or Temple unless you are an extraordinary special case.  Both these schools tend to take students who score in the 160-165 range.

Study up and retake the LSAT if you want a serious shot at either school.

stateofbeasley

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2007, 08:07:17 PM »
Don't shy away from the T3 and T4 schools.  A law degree is a law degree.  Almost half of lawyers come from T3 or T4 schools.  Talk to your school's pre-law advisor.

I strongly disagree with almostlegal's advice.  "A law degree is a law degree" does not take into account the cost/benefit of a school.  Some law degrees are more expensive than others.  This is an indisputable fact.

In terms of education, I believe you can learn as much from a T3 school as a T2 or T1 school.  HOWEVER, I urge you to look at the cost of a private school versus the opportunities it opens for you.  There is absolutely no reason to pay $150,000 for a third-tier private law school when you can pay tens of thousands less to attend law school at a public university.

Rutgers versus Seton Hall is a good example of this.  An NJ resident would be foolish to pick Seton Hall over Rutgers.  Both schools will offer about the same career prospects, but Rutgers' tuition costs just under 20k, while Seton Hall costs over 32k/year.

stateofbeasley

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2007, 08:15:43 PM »
please don't feed the TTTs

It isn't one person's perogative to tell another whether or not they should apply to law school. So goes the saying, "The first shall be last, and the last shall be first..." Keep that in mind.

Don't try to dissuade people from applying just because you're a small fish in a big pond.

Again I must disagree.

Though lawandethan comes off as rude, his point about not feeding the "TTTs" is valid.  I think it is fair to dissuade people from applying to horrendously priced private law schools.  Is it not fair to warn people away from possibly making a serious financial mistake? 

I've seen people squeezed to the limit by their loans because they made a poor financial choice when deciding which school to attend.  It's basically the same thing as credit card debt -- if people ask me for advice, I tell them not to spend more than they can pay off.  Debt is just a pain in the rear.  Don't spend more on law school than you can afford to pay off down the road.

Prizark

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2007, 08:19:33 PM »
You have a good chance of getting into Hofstra and NY law. However, the other ones will be a reach. If you feel like you want to take the LSAT over and can do better then by all means take it again. Don't let anyone discourage you, and go off of your own instincts.

stateofbeasley

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2007, 08:31:03 PM »
Don't let anyone discourage you, and go off of your own instincts.

"Instincts" are NOT a good thing to base a potential $100-150,000 investment on.  Would you buy real estate or stocks on the basis of instinct?  Or would you research your investment first to see if its fundamentals are sound?