Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Looking for Advice- NY Schools  (Read 1625 times)

li81

• View Profile
    • Email
Looking for Advice- NY Schools
« on: March 10, 2004, 09:45:08 PM »
I have been waitlisted at 4 NY Schools (Cardozo, St. Johns, Hofstra, UBuff). I am still waiting on Brooklyn (seriously doubt I will get in- applied in October!). I am in at NY Law and I got a big scholarship to go to Touro Law.

I have no idea what I am supposed to do. Can I accept offers to two law schools (to buy myself more time to make a decision)? Also, is there really a difference between 3rd tier and 4th tier? Should I save myself thousands of dollars and just go to Touro? If I go to Touro, will I end up stuck on Long Island (b/c everyone in NYC would just higher from NYC law schools?).

abc12345

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Advice- NY Schools
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2004, 10:33:45 PM »
I have been waitlisted at 4 NY Schools (Cardozo, St. Johns, Hofstra, UBuff). I am still waiting on Brooklyn (seriously doubt I will get in- applied in October!). I am in at NY Law and I got a big scholarship to go to Touro Law.

I have no idea what I am supposed to do. Can I accept offers to two law schools (to buy myself more time to make a decision)? Also, is there really a difference between 3rd tier and 4th tier? Should I save myself thousands of dollars and just go to Touro? If I go to Touro, will I end up stuck on Long Island (b/c everyone in NYC would just higher from NYC law schools?).

wow this year has been pretty tough in new york.  you can't accept 2 offers, but if you get a new offer after u put a deposit on one, you can rescind your seat in that school.  i have to throw a deposit down on NY LAW because fham bklyn and cardozo has yet to give me an answer (and told me i won't be getting one just yet!).  Touro is EHHHHHHHH, my next door neighbor went to touro, he does public d.a. work, it's not a BAD school, but it's not a well known school...

how are your stats?

li81

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2004, 11:41:57 PM »
Did your neighbor like the school? I would not mind working in the public sector... NY Law will cost a fortune and I am afraid I will be under a lot of pressure to get some hot shot firm job in order to pay back the loans. Living in Brooklyn sure beats living in Huntington though... Where else did you apply? What are your numbers? I got a 153 on the LSAT and I have a 3.7 from a state school. I am a white girl from the suburbs but I swear I am an interesting person, really...

abc12345

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2004, 10:57:32 AM »
i got a 166 and a 3.4 from nyu...ny law gave me 75% tuition w/honors program (auto law review)...i dont wanna go to a big firm which is why i am leaning towards ny law now...im not sure about my neighbor liking touro, he never really mentioned it besides the fact he went there...

hofstra gave me 20k and sju gave me 10k ... and hofstra gave me honors prog but sju didnt so im leaning towards ny law now unless i hear from bk cardozo and fham next week

rucchin

• Place Personal Text Here
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2004, 01:08:50 PM »
I got into Touro as well. I was rejected from every other NY school, and I'm still waiting on hofstra. my numbers weren't off the charts but they were competitive for NY schools (except nyu and fordham), and I didn't even get on a  waitlist. So I guess I'm going to Touro.

abc12345

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2004, 08:46:17 AM »
whoa really? what were your numbers???

Prince Rondavel

• View Profile
    • Blog
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2004, 10:44:54 AM »
I'm in the same kind of situation as i33t. 
My numbers are 162/3.6
I've got into Brooklyn, and I just heard from NYLaw, I recieved a %50 scholorship plus the same honors program.  I would like to go to Cardozo (1st choice) but I haven't heard of them and I doubt that they would offer me any money. 

I'm kind of concerned about NY Law though.  I'm interested in them (as well as Cardozo and Catholic in D.C.) because of their comm law program.  Catholic also offered me half scholorship, but my wife and I aren't really interested in living in D.C.  But is it a dumb idea to turn down a 2nd tier school like Catholic for NYlaw?  And then there's the schools in my home state - I've gotten in to Georgia State (2nd tier) and waiting on Georgia (low first tier) which I could go to for pretty cheap, but have nothing to do with Comm Law...

Ah decisions. 

Thank You

Revenant

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2004, 07:39:35 PM »
The nice parts are great - but generally, you will have to deal with things like riding on an all black subway to get into Manhattan. 

Chris

And what's wrong with that? o.O

jas9999

• Sr. Citizen
  • Actual Law Student
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2004, 04:34:12 PM »
funny, some of us consider ethnically diverse to be a selling point. but what do know, i just live in queens...

abc12345

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2004, 08:01:43 AM »
hey li81, i keep getting your IMs but you're never on...i did apply to st johns, and i got 5k to go there...not very tempting