Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: MacBook v. Macbook Pro  (Read 4717 times)

rtqw

• Sr. Citizen
  • Jim Tressel drinks wine coolers
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: MacBook v. Macbook Pro
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2007, 04:39:04 PM »
And I think that in terms of speed wise (measureable) the MBP is much faster with its 2GB ram (if you were to upgrade your Macbook to 2gb,you would have inch a bit closer to spending near to what the MBP is already, so why don't you pay for that extra speed and graphic performance?)

I feel the MBP is more rugged and sturdy. With the Macbook, I have to be careful of the surface, there are always oil stains..etc.just marks no matter how clean your fingers are...it will be there. If you were to spend extra money on a case, it's not worth it at all-might as well contribute to the MBP fund. I have to buy a Marware wrist protector for the Macbook.

The 2.16 ghz white MacBook and the lowest end 2.2ghz MacBook Pro are $600 apart, even with the student discount for both. You can certainly upgrade the ram to 2GB and buy a wrist protector or whatever for far less than $600. I would be very interested to hear a MB vs. MBP comparison from someone that had 2GB ram on both computers, as the extra ram does make a difference.

I don't doubt the superiority of the MBP, it just doesn't seem to be worth $600.

Since you already have a Powerbook, I would wait until the release of Leopard to buy either.  (But that's just me.  I think that if you purchase now, you can get a free upgrade when Leopard's released; I just wouldn't want the hassle.)

I asked at the Apple Store last week whether you'd get a free upgrade to Leopard when it was released and he said no. However, if you do buy now (or up until September I think) instead of October/November, you do get $199 rebate towards an iPod.
University of Michigan Law School, Class of 2010
LSN

LawJedi

• Sr. Citizen
  • I've got a bad feeling about this
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2007, 04:57:31 PM »
I am just going to quote from this thread on McRumors a post strongly in favour of MBP:

take from it what you will - it seems those who chose MB are quite happy with their choice, but as are those who chose MBP. I personally am leaning towards MBP.

Not that I don't appreciate Macrumors for what is is -- most people over there seem to be somewhat snobbish about their computing. My question is am I going to regret spending $$$ a MBP when Apple releases the next great thing? And when is that next great thing coming out. My Powerbook was perfect for me because it was small and easy to transport. I'm not sure that I'll feel the same way about a 15" MBP and might want to trade it in later.

rtqw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2007, 04:59:48 PM »
Yeah, they haven't unveiled the up-to-date program yet for Leopard.  They will wait until they announce the specific release date of Leopard to do that.

One other way to make up for the $600 difference (is it really that much?) is the onboard graphics vs. the external graphics processor.

Yep, $1199 for the white 2.16ghz MacBook and $1799 for the 2.2ghz MacBook Pro (the black MacBook is $1399, but it appears you're paying extra for the color as the only improvement over the white book is 40GB extra hard drive, which you can customize on the white book for $67 more).

The graphics card on the MBP is sure to be part of the price difference, but from the reviews I've read, the differences only really come into play when it comes to intensive gaming or 3D graphics - both of which don't really apply to a lot of law students.
LSN

rtqw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2007, 05:30:28 PM »
I am just going to quote from this thread on McRumors a post strongly in favour of MBP:

take from it what you will - it seems those who chose MB are quite happy with their choice, but as are those who chose MBP. I personally am leaning towards MBP.

Not that I don't appreciate Macrumors for what is is -- most people over there seem to be somewhat snobbish about their computing. My question is am I going to regret spending $$$ a MBP when Apple releases the next great thing? And when is that next great thing coming out. My Powerbook was perfect for me because it was small and easy to transport. I'm not sure that I'll feel the same way about a 15" MBP and might want to trade it in later.

Well, no matter what you buy, there's eventually going to be a superior, yet cheaper product out there - that's just how computers seem to work. And by eventually, I mean pretty soon :)

I would base your decision on whether the extra features of the MBP will be worth the increased price versus other laptops you could buy now (namely the MacBook in this case), not versus future products.

LSN

queencruella

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2007, 07:41:01 PM »
I'd go for the MBP. I've had a MB for about a year and the case is absolute crap as compared to the MBP. I had to have my keyboard/handrest area replaced because the magnetic closure cracks the handrest. There were also some other serious issues that may be resolved now- I had to get a new harddrive after only 10 months. Most of the people who have had serious issues with their Macs had MBs and not MBPs.

pinkisthenewlawschool

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2007, 04:24:37 AM »
I got a macbook mainly because I was broke, liked the size, and figured it had everything I needed. Spend the extra $600 on an iphone?

pinkisthenewlawschool

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2007, 04:25:23 AM »
Actually, that attitude is probably why I'm broke.

LawJedi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2007, 11:07:38 AM »
Yea, I'm leaning toward the MBP. Is the size too large to carry around with books, etc?

flyaway

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2007, 11:22:36 AM »
No way.  They're very slim, compared to PC notebooks of comparable screen size.
Michigan Law Class of 2010

LawJedi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2007, 12:31:17 PM »
Yea, and honestly they don't appear to be that much bigger than the regular Macbook, I'm just wondering about it fitting in my North Face bookbag -- the last thing I want to do is carry around some stupid laptop bag.