Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: MacBook v. Macbook Pro  (Read 4828 times)

Jolie Was Here

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3L. Meh.
    • View Profile
    • LSN
Re: MacBook v. Macbook Pro
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2007, 12:08:03 PM »
Yeah, most schools that permit Macs for exams require you to boot up in Windows.  Check out www.maclawstudents.com for great info.
I was referring to your intellectual penis. Which is quite robust.

Jolie is creeping up on me. 

naturallybeyoutiful

• Sr. Citizen
  • Everything is everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2007, 12:08:37 PM »
Yeah, most schools that permit Macs for exams require you to boot up in Windows.  Check out www.maclawstudents.com for great info.

Thanks!
Harvard Law: What, like it's hard?

LawJedi

• Sr. Citizen
  • I've got a bad feeling about this
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2007, 12:41:17 PM »
Any others thoughts on the Macbook v. Macbook Pro debate?

dasadder

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2007, 01:14:04 PM »
I just bought a MacBook and I love it.  I went with the MacBook because of the size, and for law school I doubt you will need more than what the macbook offers.  I think they look better than the pros as well.
UVA '10

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2007, 01:44:19 PM »
Agreed, the MacBooks looks much better.  I like the white best, but they look sick after they get all dirty from your palms.  I plan on getting black one.  I want to hold out until as late as possible, so that I can get the most recent software/hardware version. 

thestradgirl

• LSD Obsessed
  • where dreams you dare to dream really do come true
    • MSN Messenger - hanui@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - thestradgirl
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2007, 01:48:07 PM »
I am just going to quote from this thread on McRumors a post strongly in favour of MBP:

04:27 AM       #18
by flyingkite

Hi

I've owned both the macbook (black 2ghz with 1 GB ram) and the latest Macbook Pro (MBP) 2.2Ghz 15" with 2 GB ram (the LED screen).

Firstly, I much prefer the responsiveness of the MBP, everything is faster compared to the macbook, restart, opening windows even surfing seems more instant, which maybe is due to the new GPU. It makes hell lots of difference. It's that minor speed of responsiveness you feel it's faster.

And I think that in terms of speed wise (measureable) the MBP is much faster with its 2GB ram (if you were to upgrade your Macbook to 2gb,you would have inch a bit closer to spending near to what the MBP is already, so why don't you pay for that extra speed and graphic performance?)

I feel the MBP is more rugged and sturdy. With the Macbook, I have to be careful of the surface, there are always oil stains..etc.just marks no matter how clean your fingers are...it will be there. If you were to spend extra money on a case, it's not worth it at all-might as well contribute to the MBP fund. I have to buy a Marware wrist protector for the Macbook.

The MBP is definitely hotter. but I can live with that.

As for screen wise, both my Macbook and MBP are glossy. The Macbook is glossy to the extent of un-naturally glossy, its like a layer of perspex..some people will like it. But the MBP on the other hand - the gloss coating is more natural. In natural room light, you do not notice that it's glossy. It's comparable to my Samsung 20" LCD and Imac.

Both the viewing angle of the Macbook and MBP are not great. If you are looking at great viewing angle screen - neither offers you comfort in that area. The Macbook has limited viewing angle but the MBP I have has also some sort of yellowish/dark (lower third and right) gradation..very slight. But I would still say MBP has much better and nicer balance of contrast than Macbook. Macbook is the shiny glossy contrast like perspex (ever seen a Sony VAIO?)....hmm if you get what I'm trying to say. I use Huey Calibrator to calibrate on both screens.

The speakers on the MBP are much better. way better.

Full illumination of keyboard..mines sort of purpish tint light. And its a full keyboard size. if that matters to you.

If you are using Parallel Desktop. The MBP blows the Macbook hands down because of
1) 2Gb ram (would you want to upgrade your Macbook?)
2) GPU ( can't upgrade on Macbook)

Windows XP takes less than 5 secs to "boot" and its almost instant using saved state. "Cold Boot" is about 15 secs . Macbook can drastically take pretty long and stalls because of lack of ram. I'm not sure if 2Gb of ram will make a better difference but I bet it would. And I run dual monitors. So I really stress it, in terms of the GPU.

One thing more, the DVI output of MBP is full DVI. So you save money from buying a mini-DVI to DVI converter for the Macbook also.

After owning both the Macbook and Macbook Pro. I have no hesistation to recommend the MBP over the Macbook as it's just 0.5 pounds more heavy than the Macbook . (even the weight doesn't seem to tilt on the Macbook side)

I think there are too many things I feel the MBP are just more worth it then the Macbook. Unless you really like the size of the 13" tiny screen or "cuteness", the MBP is a more worthy buy.

My 2 cents

take from it what you will - it seems those who chose MB are quite happy with their choice, but as are those who chose MBP. I personally am leaning towards MBP.
this guy
------------------------------
I say that good painters imitated nature; but that bad ones vomited it.

Miguel de Cervantes (1547-1616)

S.A.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2007, 02:08:23 PM »
Macbook Pro... I want to run Windows and I want to run it well, for three years. It seems worth the extra cost.

Not to mention that my big bro who sells computers says he "won't allow" me to get a Macbook :P ... he said I'd regret it by the time I'm a 3L and trying to update software, add new programs, trying to make the computer last until I start my first job, etc.

But most people who own Macbooks seem to be satisfied with them, so I don't know what to think. :P

FWIW

EDIT: I know absolutely nothing about computers... I've always entrusted my computing needs to my bro and he's always come through so that's what I'm doing in this case... :P

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2007, 02:10:29 PM »
Yeah, most schools that permit Macs for exams require you to boot up in Windows.  Check out www.maclawstudents.com for great info.

Great website.

skeeball

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2007, 02:16:15 PM »
Tag.

I had been debating the eyestrain vs. extra weight issue for a while but decided on the bigger screen last week when I was in a Mac store. I think it'll be better for when I'm multitasking.

I figure, if I've got a couple of casebooks in my backpack, it'll already be so heavy I'm not going to notice an extra half a pound.

flyaway

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2007, 03:23:31 PM »
Macbook Pro, 17".  It's really not a big deal that it's bigger, as long as you just make sure that the bag you buy fits it.  But in terms of a 17" computer, it's much more portable and light than the PCs.  My eyes suck, in terms of reading small text (and, you know, in terms of seeing who is in bed next to me before I put my contacts in), so the big screen is a lifesaver.

I got it because it should last me all three years with no problem, including future software upgrades, etc.  And running Parallels smoothly and quickly is a pretty big deal.

Michigan Law Class of 2010