Law School Discussion

LSAT concept that I need to drill home. Help please

LSAT concept that I need to drill home. Help please
« on: July 10, 2007, 07:20:17 AM »
OK, so I could recite the sufficient versus necessary definition difference but I seem to misapply it about 1/3rd of the time.  I'm going to put a couple questions up and I hope someone with contextualize this for me.

1.  Cigarette smoking has been shown to be a health hazard;  therefore, governments should ban all advertisements that promote smoking. Which of the following, if established, more strongly supports this?
a.  advertisements should not be allowed to show people doing things that endanger their health.
b.  advertisers should not make misleading claims about the healthfulness of their products
c.  Advertisements should promote only healthful products

forget the other ones.

Basically, a and c through me for a loop and I look at it based on what the stimulus establishes as suff. vs necess.  Any explanation would be appreciated.

2.  Every adult woolly monkey is larger than even the largest female wooley monkey.  In colonies of woolly monkeys, any adult male will dominate any female.
If the above is true, which of the following must be true on the basis of them?

a.  some large adolescent male woolly monkeys dominate some smaller females of the species.  (Can someone explain why this isn't true).
b.  If a female woolly monkey dominates a male of the species, the dominated male monkey is not an adult.  (This is a hypothetical that is true, but how can it be more true than choice A.)

Thanks

Re: LSAT concept that I need to drill home. Help please
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2007, 07:50:04 AM »
You shouldn't be thinking about conditionality for question 1.  Just treat it like any other strengthen question. When you add choice C to the prmise, the conclusion becomes more valid.  Therefore, it is the correct choice.

You really shouldn't focus on conditionality for question 2 either.  Although, an understanding of symbolic logic would yield some irrelevant inherent inferences such as that some adult male wooley monkies are larger than the largest female wooley monkey.  I am also making the assumption that you mis-typed and that first sentence is supposed to read "Every adult male wooly...."

Choice A is not correct because you do not know anything about adolescent monkeys.  You only know that all adult males dominate all females.  It could be that all females dominate all adolescent males.

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2007, 07:59:46 AM »
Thanks.  I think that I am overthinking some of these and missing some common sense, easy answers.  You also helped me to realize that (getting away from suff vs necess.)  that the stimulus said nothing about "showing"  people doing things to harm their health.  And, I totally missed the adolescent word in the 2nd question.  Im on vaca in Miami beach, studying while sunning (lightly of course).  I need to either focus or pick this up next week.  Thanks again.

Julie Fern

• hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2007, 11:20:47 AM »
what kind drill you own?

Julee Fern

• be cheerleader for al qaeda and osama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2007, 11:27:11 AM »
what kind drill you own?

yes, this real question!