Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Merit Scholarships  (Read 1030 times)

gsw2007

• View Profile
    • Email
Merit Scholarships
« on: July 10, 2007, 01:12:05 AM »
Which law schools offer many academic scholarships awarded only on merit? Do they offer such scholarship to international students (non-US citizen)?

gsw2007

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Merit Scholarships
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2007, 12:16:15 PM »
anyone???

und3r3stimat3d

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2007, 12:26:00 PM »
too many to list. what are your numbers and i can give you a good idea of which ones in your range there are. lawschoolnumbers.com will do the same thing.

ciao-a-bunga

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2007, 12:33:05 PM »
Which law schools offer many academic scholarships awarded only on merit? Do they offer such scholarship to international students (non-US citizen)?

I assume almost all of them minus Yale and Harvard.  But you usually can't apply directly -- you have to be asked.

laur0212

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3L, yay!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Laur0212
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2007, 01:17:27 PM »
I would say that most of them award merit scholarships, some of them you have to apply for, or at least indicate on your application to that school that you would like to be considered for one, but many of them will just award you a scholarship when they admit you as a way of enticing you to enroll.  For instance, I was offered scholarships at:  Quinnipiac, Rutgers-Newark, Rutgers-Camden, Tulane, Stetson and others.  I ended up going to Rutgers-Newark (entering my third year now), but I didn't ask for any of those scholarships.  Many of those schools were my safety schools, but still, the merit scholarships are out there.

Max Fischer

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2007, 01:19:10 PM »

I assume almost all of them minus Yale and Harvard. 

Stanford doesn't, either.  Good thing, too--more need-based money left for losers like me.

gsw2007

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2007, 07:56:38 PM »
Do they give out merit scholarships to international studnets?

laur0212

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3L, yay!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Laur0212
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2007, 09:08:38 AM »

I don't see why not.  Although I can't specifically think of any of my international classmates that have told me that they were awarded merit scholarships, I doubt that's something to worry about too much.  A merit scholarship is simply that, a scholarship given to you because of your record as a student.  While other scholarships are certainly more focused (such as scholarships given by county bar associations), merit scholarships given by the school itself tend to be for anyone the school thinks deserves it, regardless of whether they are American or from another country.  Don't quote me on that, but that's my best guess.

sladkaya

• Sr. Citizen
  • Not born in Texas, but got here as soon as I could
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2007, 10:57:36 AM »

Definitely.  Check out the LSN link in my signature - all of those schools give merit scholarships to international students (some for full tuition amount) ;D
Accepted: Michigan($$), Northwestern($$$), Vanderbilt($$$), UCLA($$), UT($$$), WUSTL($$$), UIUC($$$$), Notre Dame($$),

Attending: TEXAS !!!

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=sladkaya

gsw2007

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2007, 11:57:35 AM »
sladkaya, are you an international student?