Law School Discussion

Gtown vs T14

Re: Gtown vs T14
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2007, 06:35:34 AM »
The factor that will most affect your job opportunities is your GPA.  The variable that will most affect your GPA is your happiness.  Your job prospects will likely be worse from Cornell or Duke if you are miserable than they will be from Georgetown if you are happy.

Perfectly put.

I would add, your job prospects in the 10-25% range will be better or even out of GULC as Cornell/Duke.

From a BIGLAW hiring vantage point GULC=Duke=Northwestern=Cornell.  I asked an attorney I worked with if I should choose GULC or Cornell and she said to choose based on personal preference since they were of the same quality.

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2007, 04:09:34 PM »
The factor that will most affect your job opportunities is your GPA.  The variable that will most affect your GPA is your happiness.  Your job prospects will likely be worse from Cornell or Duke if you are miserable than they will be from Georgetown if you are happy.

Seconded on this one. Happiness is critical (speaking as someone who wasn't entirely thrilled with school and with others who were also fairly unhappy) to your success. Do not pick a school solely because you think your job chances are better.

4DClaw

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2007, 06:16:51 AM »
The bottom 50 percent at GULC will have a tough time getting DC Biglaw. NYC or smaller market biglaw is within reach, if they interview well and have good soft factors (this probably isn't true for the bottom 20 percent or so). If you're set on staying in DC and you're in the bottom half, you may end up at midlaw or government.

UNAS

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2007, 09:15:52 AM »
The bottom 50 percent at GULC will have a tough time getting DC Biglaw. NYC or smaller market biglaw is within reach, if they interview well and have good soft factors (this probably isn't true for the bottom 20 percent or so). If you're set on staying in DC and you're in the bottom half, you may end up at midlaw or government.

Tough is a relative word. Can you please elaborate. By the way government out of the question at this point in time. I am not going to spend this exorbitant amount of money on law school to make a government salary. No disrespect to those noble yeomanry who decide to do otherwise.

4DClaw

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2007, 10:35:52 AM »
Don't balk at government salary. Most jobs start out at around 70k, but some agencies, such as SEC, are able to pay a premium if you're very highly ranked. Within a few years you'll be making in the low 100-k (though you'll have maxed out). The benefit, of course, is a normal 40-hour schedule. It's all about quality of life vs. more money.
That said, if you're in the bottom 50 percent at GULC, you PROBABLY won't get DC Biglaw, as in V100. If you have amazing soft factors or a killer interview, you might. But if you're set on DC, then your most likely option will be one of the larger midlaw firms. Or, as I said, you could fairly easily land biglaw in NYC.
The easy way to avoid this problem is to get into the top half of the class. And if you're in the top third, you'll have no problem getting DC Biglaw.

Tough is a relative word. Can you please elaborate. By the way government out of the question at this point in time. I am not going to spend this exorbitant amount of money on law school to make a government salary. No disrespect to those noble yeomanry who decide to do otherwise.

4DClaw

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2007, 12:22:21 PM »
I'm in the evening section, but it's the same for full-time as well. You won't know who your conlaw or LRW professor is until the first day of orientation, when you get a big packet that includes your course schedule. You don't register for them - it's randomly assigned.

Within each section, there will be four small conlaw classes (about 30 students each) and two 60-student LRW classes. Also, each LRW class meets twice a week. One of the classes is all 60 students, taught by a prof. The other one is smaller sections of 8-10 students, and that's taught by an upperclassman.

4DClaw

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2007, 12:43:34 PM »
which profs do you have for your other classes?

4DClaw

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2007, 12:51:29 PM »
Never had any of them, but I know Perdue and can assure you that she'll be an excellent professor (well, as excellent as CivPro can be). She wrote the leading textbook, and she's also just a very nice person. Both of the LRW profs are great also.

CivPro: Perdue
Property: Ernst
Ks: Vukowich
Torts: Mikhail

LR&W: either Shulman or Tiscione
ConLaw: either Schneiderman, Wales, Cashin, or Lederman

Some of them are visiting. I've heard good things about Ernst and Perdue. Had any of them?

UNAS

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2007, 12:59:08 PM »
Hey it has always been said often times there is no rhyme or reason to how grades are distributed. In preparation for your exams at Gtown have you taken a some what "defeatist" approach in that you will do the best you can, but ultimately you have no control over your own fate in terms of grades.

4DClaw

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2007, 01:22:40 PM »
That's definitely not the case. I'd never be defeatist about it. Some people will just do better on exams because they can write and think quickly and "get" legal concepts. But if you want to do well, you will bust your butt studying and preparing for exams from the first day of class. Professors, at least the ones I had, put a good amount of effort into grading fairly.

Hey it has always been said often times there is no rhyme or reason to how grades are distributed. In preparation for your exams at Gtown have you taken a some what "defeatist" approach in that you will do the best you can, but ultimately you have no control over your own fate in terms of grades.