Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: This is why affirmative should remain in tact  (Read 25699 times)

PNym

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: This is why affirmative should remain in tact
« Reply #100 on: August 30, 2007, 04:28:11 AM »
you can't google it?  ???

Isn't Thomas Sewell that same guy that perpetuates AIDS as a gay disease?

Yeah, that's him.  He's a generic hack.  He can't cut it in legit papers (you know, the ones that follow market principles and worry about the bottom line) so he publishes his tripe in right-wing jokes like the Washington Times that have money flowing in from their rightist backers and can credential jokers like Sowell.  When he's brought up in conversation, red flags go up in the minds of anyone with half a brain.  Doesn't mean it's not fun to play with Pseudo.  He's like a big, cuddly bull of dumb.

http://mediamatters.org/items/200501050003

Oh, wonderful, the leftist troll is following me around and posting links to attack sites funded by left-wing extremists that attack the motives, rather than the arguments, of their ideological opponents.

Why don't you move to Venezuela or something?

aren't motives important?

Well, if someone has a motive to say an untruths, that doesn't necessarily mean that any statement they make concerning the area in which they have a motive to state the untruth about is false. They may say an untruth, or they may be telling the truth.

What's important is evaluating whether their statements are true or false.

However, if I'm accurately characterizing Media Matters, that website was set up not to point out specific instances where non-leftists have spoken untruths, but to show that they have a motive for saying untruths, and insinuate that motive is sufficient grounds to disregard all their statements as untruths.

But as I mentioned above, just because someone has a motive to say something that isn't true doesn't mean that whatever they're saying is false. To catch a falsehood, you need evidence that proves what they're saying is untrue, not mere insinuations that they've said something false because they have a motive to do so.

I wonder if you hold Fox News in that same regard?

Media Matters is a self-proclaimed progressive organization. Can you give an instance where Media Matters has given false statements? I gotta million for Fox.

Well, I don't have cable, and have barely watched Fox, so I don't have a complete enough picture of their coverage in order to have a good opinion on whether or not it's biased or full of lies.

I thought I just provided you an instance where Media Matters misconstrued an author's statement.

PNym

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 30, 2007, 04:29:44 AM »
Oh, wonderful, the leftist troll is following me around and posting links to attack sites funded by left-wing extremists that attack the motives, rather than the arguments, of their ideological opponents.

Attack site?  It just shows the text of what he wrote.  Nice no-denial evasion move, jackass.  And I'm a moderate, you're just a nut.  Anyone to the right of Atilla the Hun knows that Sowell is a joke.

It completely misinterpreted what he wrote. Facist pig.

H4CS

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 30, 2007, 04:36:09 AM »

Attack site?  It just shows the text of what he wrote.  Nice no-denial evasion move, jackass.  And I'm a moderate, you're just a nut.  Anyone to the right of Atilla the Hun knows that Sowell is a joke.

No it did not.  He called being gay a deathstyle and took every chance he could to associate AIDS with homosexuality.  He is a bigot and your refusal to denounce that article is just sad.  Deathstyle.  This is not the first time he's done so: http://www.glaad.org/publications/archive_detail.php?id=3768

Lindbergh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 30, 2007, 06:49:11 AM »

Dude, anyone who reads more than one of your posts knows you're a lefty wingnut hack, pure and simple.  I may not always agree with pseudo, but at least he bases his arguments on facts and reason, not just knee-jerk bias.

Moreover, Sowell has a PhD from Chicago in economics, and is a senior fellow at Stanford, so unless you have comparable credentials, he's clearly both far more intelligent and far better educated than you.

Just out of curiousity, which one of the following causes you to hallucinate that your perspective is somehow more accurate than Sowell's?   

1.  He disagrees with your sophomoric worldview?

2.  He's black?

I can't think of any other reason you'd even begin to think you're in a position to question anyone with a functioning brain.

No offense.   :)

Lindbergh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 30, 2007, 07:44:25 AM »

No it did not.  He called being gay a deathstyle and took every chance he could to associate AIDS with homosexuality.  He is a bigot and your refusal to denounce that article is just sad.  Deathstyle.  This is not the first time he's done so: http://www.glaad.org/publications/archive_detail.php?id=3768

I don't agree with Sowell's overall point here, but his premise that AIDS is associated with homosexuality is hardly controversial.  There's no question that the homosexual community has been hit far harder by AIDS than other groups.  (Regardless of what rates are rising or falling, it's the percentage of cases in the community that matters.)

7S

• Sr. Citizen
  • Self-determination.
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: August 30, 2007, 07:54:34 AM »

Dude, anyone who reads more than one of your posts knows you're a lefty wingnut hack, pure and simple.  I may not always agree with pseudo, but at least he bases his arguments on facts and reason, not just knee-jerk bias.

Moreover, Sowell has a PhD from Chicago in economics, and is a senior fellow at Stanford, so unless you have comparable credentials, he's clearly both far more intelligent and far better educated than you.

Just out of curiousity, which one of the following causes you to hallucinate that your perspective is somehow more accurate than Sowell's?   

2.  He's black?
I can't think of any other reason you'd even begin to think you're in a position to question anyone with a functioning brain.

You would allude to this. We specifically noted Sowell's illusionary articles that suggest that AIDS is a gay disease. That is why we question is authenticity. Plain and simple.
It is easy to change the language of oppression without changing the sociopolitical situation of its victims.

Lindbergh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 30, 2007, 08:02:01 AM »

2.  He's black?

You would allude to this. We specifically noted Sowell's illusionary articles that suggest that AIDS is a gay disease. That is why we question is authenticity. Plain and simple.

Someone needs to highlight H4CS's obvious racism.

All Sowell said was that the gay community has a major problem with AIDS.  Which they clearly do.  Plain and Simple.

If you don't believe me, go ask a gay person.

7S

• Sr. Citizen
  • Self-determination.
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 30, 2007, 08:14:33 AM »

I don't agree with Sowell's overall point here, but his premise that AIDS is associated with homosexuality is hardly controversial.  There's no question that the homosexual community has been hit far harder by AIDS than other groups.  (Regardless of what rates are rising or falling, it's the percentage of cases in the community that matters.)

Why regardless? If the fact is that AIDS more likely affects heterosexuals than homosexuals then how can the opposite assetion not be controversial. Don't point to the sun and tell me it's the moon.

It can be factually inferred that the reason AIDS is an epidemic in the gay community is not because gays are more susceptible to the disease, but because of the social stigma that it is a gay disease. That leads into why it's becoming an epidemic with heterosexuals now.
It is easy to change the language of oppression without changing the sociopolitical situation of its victims.

7S

• Sr. Citizen
  • Self-determination.
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 30, 2007, 08:19:42 AM »

2.  He's black?

Someone needs to highlight H4CS's obvious racism.

All Sowell said was that the gay community has a major problem with AIDS.  Which they clearly do.  Plain and Simple.

If you don't believe me, go ask a gay person.

"...homosexuality, as a means of spreading that lifestyle, which has become a death style in the era of AIDS." Come on now. The most common way to get AIDS is through heterosexual sex. AIDS is a problem for everyone, not just the gays.

Lindbergh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 30, 2007, 08:28:33 AM »

Why regardless?

Because just because a rate is rising or falling doesn't tell us what the acutal rate is.  I don't think there's any question that the % of gays afflicted with AIDS is still far higher than in the straight community.

If the fact is that AIDS more likely affects heterosexuals than homosexuals then how can the opposite assetion not be controversial.

Well, that's not the fact, at least not from the article.  There may potentially be more AIDS cases overall in the straight community, because the straight community is much larger than the gay community.  That doesn't change the fact that a gay person is more likely to have or catch AIDS, though, and gays certainly view AIDS as a disease that disproportionately affects them.

Don't point to the sun and tell me it's the moon.

I would never do this.  I might moon you on a sunny day, however.

It can be factually inferred that the reason AIDS is an epidemic in the gay community is not because gays are more susceptible to the disease, but because of the social stigma that it is a gay disease.

How can this be factually inferred?  From what facts?

Look, there's no question that AIDS became an epidemic in the gay community because some gays, in certain respect, were more susceptible to the disease.  AIDS is simply more easily spread through anal sex and promiscuous sex, both of which were/are common in certain segments of the gay population.  

The reason Sowell is wrong in his overall conclusion (rather than his basic premise) is because not all gays are promiscuous, and not all gays engage in anal sex, at least not with more than one partner.  In fact, lesbians pretty much never engage in anal sex, which is one reason they have the lowest AIDS rate of any group.

Moreover, of course, gay marriage would theoretically reduce gay promiscuity.