Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Working While in Law School  (Read 1049 times)

kirsten11235

• View Profile
Working While in Law School
« on: July 09, 2007, 12:56:40 PM »
I understand that the American Bar Association does not permit first year students to work more than 15 hours per week.  But I have the possibility of working full time remotely while in school for the first few months of my 1L.  Will I get in trouble for this?  What are the possible consequences of this?

yongsoo

• Sr. Citizen
  • Bah weep Grah nah weep ninny bon
    • View Profile
Re: Working While in Law School
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2007, 01:11:08 PM »
well, I don't know the rules or restrictions, but I cannot see why you would want to work more than 15 hours your 1L year. It's arguably the most important year of law school and work would be an additional level of stress that I would rather do without.

I know you said you'd be working "remotely" but after "stirring cement with your eyelashes" for hours on end, do you really want to sit down and work on your laptop?

For your own sanity and health, I would recommend against this...

Good luck either way

kulrythm

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2007, 01:15:59 PM »
I went to lunch with the dean at my school this past week, and there was another student there with us.  She (the other incoming 1L) mentioned at one point that she would be working part time during the year, and the dean essentially said "Stop talking... lalalalala"

In other words, as long as you don't make a big deal about it, and keep it on the DL, it's not going to cause any problems with the school.  But, I personally think it's a bad idea.  Like the last poster said, why would you want to risk sabotaging yourself just for a little extra money that, in the long run, will make very little difference in your life?

kirsten11235

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2007, 03:18:34 PM »
Thank you for your responses.  The work would be very minimal; my company has a lot of downtime. I would essentially be doing nothing, just making extra money.  I just wanted to verify that this would not cause me some kind of problem with the school or when I take the bar.

RedWine

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2007, 03:28:31 PM »
As long as your school doesn't expressly prohibit it, you should be fine.  If the school does have restrictions, you might be able to get an exception from your dean.  The thing to keep in mind, though, is that when you submit your financial aid stuff for next year, your tax returns will show the income from this job, so if your school is really strict about it, this might raise a red flag for them.

queencruella

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2007, 07:39:39 PM »
Thank you for your responses.  The work would be very minimal; my company has a lot of downtime. I would essentially be doing nothing, just making extra money.  I just wanted to verify that this would not cause me some kind of problem with the school or when I take the bar.

I work with someone who had to work during 1L because she had no choice (3 kids) and was able to get an exception. People get around it all the time without getting exceptions. It's really not going to be that much of a problem.