Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Complete ACL Tear. Should I Defer?  (Read 1592 times)

bamf

• Sr. Citizen
  • legal eagle
    • View Profile
Re: Complete ACL Tear. Should I Defer?
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2007, 08:57:40 PM »
I'm sitting next to my roommate who is a physical therapist. he says don't defer.

FWIW
2L, Boston College Law

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/bamf

Around from time to time.  Always willing to answer any Qs about BC, my '06/'07 cycle or law school in general ... PMs work better ...

MisterManager

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2007, 09:50:57 PM »
I know every injury is different, but I tore my ACL not too long ago. I tore mine in September and did not have surgery till Jan 3rd. After the swelling went down in september...i had very little pain and was able to walk around, but i didnt play any sports or anything like that. If your doctor sees this scenario for you, then id reccomend stickin with LS. Remember that you can get a handicap pass and that makes things much better. Healing time was not terrible after surgery...i had it jan 3rd and i was walking without crutches about two weeks after that.

Again, I realize every injury is different, but mine was a fairly severe tear and I did not consider the entire process tough enough to where I would defer law school if this happened to me again.

Best of luck..
I always keep it real and i call no man mister.

Soft Factors

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2007, 09:22:38 AM »
Your doctor probably has a pretty good idea of what you're in for physically and academically.  Does he/she have an opinion?

Yeah, he thinks I should go.  He thinks I should have the procedure done a month before I leave so I can rest at home and begin rehab in law school. 

I trust Dr. Uribe.  If you follow football, he operated on Willis McGahee and Frank Gore who both had complete ACL tears.

I'm just going to get into the pre-op rehab and see how it goes. 

I'll probably go ahead with it.  As a person I look up to said, "this could be a great opportunity.  There won't be the added distraction of going out or playing basketball." 

I would always be in a position to study.

Hofstra '10

protagon

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2007, 06:47:17 PM »
I've torn my ACL and I definitely think returning to school is doable. As long as there's no meniscal damage to repair, you should be able to walk on your leg immediately. So mobility won't be a huge problem. As for therapy, three hours a week isn't too much to give up.

I faced a similar decision. I had brain surgery for an aneurysm about seven weeks ago. Decided not to defer. I outsick you, don't wimp out.

Catherine Morland

• Sr. Citizen
  • the improvement of her mind by extensive reading
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2007, 11:03:46 PM »
 I went two years before having the surgery after I tore my ACL. You aren't going to be on crutches - they'll give you a leg brace that you'll forget to put on half the time. Your injury seems a little more severe than mine, though. Seven days after the surgery I was at prom and in three more days I gave a graduation speech. I had crutches, but they were already starting to wean me off of them. Rehab is comparable to working out daily - if you already do that, you'll know how to carve out the time around studying and classes.  It's not worth deferring a year.
0102 SLY

The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid. - Jane Austen

Astro

• LSD Obsessed
  • Happy birthday goalie!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2007, 06:29:42 AM »
I faced a similar decision. I had brain surgery for an aneurysm about seven weeks ago. Decided not to defer. I outsick you, don't wimp out.

I know you're a n00b, but this is sig-worthy.   :D
J, if you didn't bring enough penis for everyone, you shouldn't have brought any penis at all.